Shady trade will really set this team back

week 1 update: so far so right, kiko makes the play of the day, shady runs for losses on the first 4 out 5 runs for the day. Glad we traded him.

the more i look at the future we face regarding cuts etc, the more the mccoy trade looks like a horrible move, not due to talent or ability etc, but from a roster and financial standpoint.

1. after we complained for years about our tackle position, as well as our corners, looks like we will have to cut either glenn or gilmore. ok maybe its mckelvin or maybe its bradham after already losing kiko, or cutting fred early or shudder maybe even Mario.

2. We traded a low-cost fan favorite linebacker for a 16 milllion dollar RB right before we have to resign 4 starters. And didnt we try the premier running back route for the last 15 years? How far did we get with Antowain, Mcgahee, Lynch or Spiller??? the most productive runner we had was 2nd rounder travis henry anyway. So now instead of drafting RB in the first, we trade a 2nd, and will lose one of our 1sts (gilmore dareus or glenn) next year, all for the joy of having a top tier running back in his 6th year.

3. We finally have 5 high talent receiving options, both tackles solidified, and weak guards, so we decide on a run first offense? things got worse not better when we spent a 5th on carlos williams. this would have worked out fine if we hadnt gotten shady. But now it forces a cut of either fred or brown and if its brown, it means we wasted a 4rth and will never know what brown could have done here. If its fred, we lose fred, nuff said.

we overstocked at a position we really didnt need and by next year,in the end it will end up costing us a 1st, 2nd, and 4rth round pick.

the combination will be either...

Kiko, fred, & gilmore or....

kiko, brown, & glenn

or possibly even a....

kiko, mckelvin, bradham and Fred combination

or maybe we just lose Mario

either way, it was a bad move.

Go Bills!

so far so right, kiko makes the play of the day, shady runs for losses on the first 4 out 5 runs for the day. Glad we traded him.

Edited by enlightener

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 16m running back? What metric brought you to that price?

Just go with it....

Don't you know when you are trying to prove a point on this site you create numbers to support your point? I saw the other day that the Bills used to let "99% of their good free agents go." I was really surprised to read that stat.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Kiko was only going to be a low cost guy for two years max. after that (possibly sooner) he will get a huge payday.

We are talking maybe 2 years worth of savings. which is nice, but if we dont have to pay top dollar for a QB, it really isn't that big of a deal. We aren't going to be able to keep all of our players, but I don't think the mccoy think really hurt us in the cap. The only thing it may have hurt is our ability to re-sign dareus, which I think will still get done but they might have to get a little more creative with it since it is going to be such a massive contract.

As for the other guys like glenn, gilmore, and so on, the cap keeps getting bigger. So our ability to re-sign guys gets easier. Our cap number this year wont be our cap number next year. I think the cap going up each year is why we re-signed hughes and publicly said we are going to keep dareus. Putting that much money on the dline makes more sense when the cap keeps going up, because the percentage of the cap going toward the dline goes down.

I am more worried about our QB and oline than I am about re-signing guys and mccoys contract

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

Just go with it....

Don't you know when you are trying to prove a point on this site you create numbers to all support your point? I saw the other day that the Bills used to let "99% of their good free agents go." I was really surprised to read that stat.

Actually...it's 99.9%, but let's keep that between you and me. :D

Just go with it....

Don't you know when you are trying to prove a point on this site you create numbers to all support your point? I saw the other day that the Bills used to let "99% of their good free agents go." I was really surprised to read that stat.

I read that 87% of the stats used on this board are pulled out of thin air.

Or, maybe I wrote that....

The 4th rd pick on Brown was wasted the minute they traded for him. I don't think the OT positions are solidified. I think McCoy is a much better player than Kiko. If the trade wasn't made and Alonso returned to the form he had at the start of his rookie year then they'd have to pay him thus limiting money they could spend on other guys. It works both ways. Unless you preferred the days of signing guys like Eddie Robinson.

Maybe or could just as easily have been he is just average to slightly better, doesn't get the big pay day because he's just not that good. So would have saved money and had a crappy player in return. The OP called him a "Fan favorite" which guess means we shouldn't have traded him for that reason?? Kiko had a great September, after that was average.

Kiko was only going to be a low cost guy for two years max. after that (possibly sooner) he will get a huge payday.

Just go with it....

Don't you know when you are trying to prove a point on this site you create numbers to support your point? I saw the other day that the Bills used to let "99% of their good free agents go." I was really surprised to read that stat.

I think he's doing cash paid in year 1 as the measurement (as thats the only thing near 16m) but since it's not representative of any typically relevant measure of a contract it seems pointless....

would I have done what the Bills did this off season? NOPE! would my team have been as exciting, fun, or as good this season? NOPE! - will the Bills have to make some cost cutting moves in the future that will sting a little? probably- I'm not going worry about the 2016 season , the Bills are going to take their shot this season and I think this is a pretty good year to take a shot and go all in.

the more i look at the future we face regarding cuts etc, the more the mccoy trade looks like a horrible move, not due to talent or ability etc, but from a roster and financial standpoint.

1. after we complained for years about our tackle position, as well as our corners, looks like we will have to cut either glenn or gilmore. ok maybe its mckelvin or maybe its bradham after already losing kiko, or cutting fred early or shudder maybe even Mario.

2. We traded a low-cost fan favorite linebacker for a 16 milllion dollar RB right before we have to resign 4 starters. And didnt we try the premier running back route for the last 15 years? How far did we get with Antowain, Mcgahee, Lynch or Spiller??? the most productive runner we had was 2nd rounder travis henry anyway. So now instead of drafting RB in the first, we trade a 2nd, and will lose one of our 1sts (gilmore dareus or glenn) next year, all for the joy of having a top tier running back in his 6th year.

3. We finally have 5 high talent receiving options, both tackles solidified, and weak guards, so we decide on a run first offense? things got worse not better when we spent a 5th on carlos williams. this would have worked out fine if we hadnt gotten shady. But now it forces a cut of either fred or brown and if its brown, it means we wasted a 4rth and will never know what brown could have done here. If its fred, we lose fred, nuff said.

we overstocked at a position we really didnt need and by next year,in the end it will end up costing us a 1st, 2nd, and 4rth round pick.

kiko, brown, & glenn

or possibly even a....

Go Bills!

I agree with you. While it seems like a good trade right now, the long-term implications will prove this trade to be a bad move. We will see a good player walk that could impact this team for significantly longer term than McCoy will. If the Bills don't make the playoffs this year, the trade for McCoy will look even worse.

Running backs are easy to come by, good offensive linemen and corners are not and we will lose one because of McCoy. Also, McCoy is a proven running back in an entirely different scheme with a significantly better o-line, so there's question marks there as well. Time will tell, and I hope I'm wrong but a couple years from now I think we regret the McCoy trade.

Outside of Fred, who's getting olDer and don't see his production getting increased, what other option do they have at RB? Bobbie is a backup bench guy and brown is a complete unknown who can't seem to Crack a spot in the lineup. The OC is a heavy run game type of guy and they need someone to be the focal point. There has to be a point where they spend money on the offense.

Wrong argument to make that getting one of the best RBs in the league was a mistake for a LB with knee issues and one good year. Now if you want to make an argument over getting Harvin or last year's trade for Brown you might get more people agreeing with you

Just go with it....

My debate instructor taught me that exaggeration is a tool of the unarmed in battle of wits.

I agree with you. While it seems like a good trade right now, the long-term implications will prove this trade to be a bad move. We will see a good player walk that could impact this team for significantly longer term than McCoy will. If the Bills don't make the playoffs this year, the trade for McCoy will look even worse.

Running backs are easy to come by, good offensive linemen and corners are not and we will lose one because of McCoy. Also, McCoy is a proven running back in an entirely different scheme with a significantly better o-line, so there's question marks there as well. Time will tell, and I hope I'm wrong but a couple years from now I think we regret the McCoy trade.

Actually, both the players he mentioned are going to command roughly twice what McCoy will be making, so by basic math, if we cut these guys it's not going to be because of Shady. Plus, we would not likely be starting the season w/ Freddie or Bryce as the starting RB, so, it's not like we're spending the whole 5.5 mil more anyway, b/c we'd have to be paying someone a few million.

Sex Panther... 60% of the time it works every time.

You can use statistics to prove anything...forfty percent of all people know that!

kiko, brown, & glenn

or possibly even a....

Go Bills!

You need a different name.

Might I suggest ... Elroi.

Edited by Gugny