Pettine/Farmer struggling for power in Cleveland

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As bad a decision as it appears to have been for Pettine to bolt Buffalo for the Cleveland job, you begin to wonder if one of the reasons he left was because he saw the inadequacies of Marrone.

I know there are only 32 HC jobs in the NFL, but what guy voluntarily walks into the mess in Cleveland when he has a stud defense he can coach in Buffalo while he makes a name for himself out from under Rex's shadow?

As bad a decision as it appears to have been for Pettine to bolt Buffalo for the Cleveland job, you begin to wonder if one of the reasons he left was because he saw the inadequacies of Marrone.

I know there are only 32 HC jobs in the NFL, but what guy voluntarily walks into the mess in Cleveland when he has a stud defense he can coach in Buffalo while he makes a name for himself out from under Rex's shadow?

Thats a really good point that I never thought of until now

CBF

I admit I never thought of this either. It makes sense.

Looking back, we know that Marrone didn't endear himself to everyone. In retrospect, he certainly doesn't appear like a competent HC.

Pettine could have easily decided that the Cleveland opportunity, despite its flaws and dangers, was still better than hanging out with Marrone indefinitely in Buffalo.

I am not sure Marrone was the reason he left, but I don't think he was a compelling reason to stay. I do think Pettine felt it was an opportunity to become a HC that he may never get again. I think he is suited to be a HC. He is the best thing about that organization right now, imo.

Supposedly, Pettine had something to do with the firing of Dr. Jamil Northcutt who apparently didn't always getting along well with the coaching staff.

Northcutt was the Director of Player Engagement and a favorite of Farmer.

What does a "Director of Player Engagement" actually do for a living?

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-1/Browns-name-Jamil-Northcutt-director-of-player-engagement/2bbbbd18-060d-419e-af71-080bd54324f3

I am not sure Marrone was the reason he left, but I don't think he was a compelling reason to stay. I do think Pettine felt it was an opportunity to become a HC that he may never get again. I think he is suited to be a HC. He is the best thing about that organization right now, imo.

it would have been a big surprise if he never got the chance again, imo.

possible, but i think likely he was in line - especially with our defense (barring catastrophic injuries or tinkering from above)

did he leave because of marrone? i dont think specifically. but i could easily buy an argument that he might not have been excited about 12 more months with the dude and figured disfunction here, or disfunction there -- may as well take a promotion...

Fixed it for you!

I admit I never thought of this either. It makes sense.

Looking back, we know that Marrone didn't endear himself to everyone. ANYONE In retrospect, he certainly doesn't appear like a competent HC.

Pettine could have easily decided that the Cleveland opportunity, despite its flaws and dangers, was still better than hanging out with Marrone indefinitely in Buffalo.

So Pettine and Farmer are struggling for power in Cleveland? Hmm, wonder where I heard this story before?

Could he have gotten this concept from St.Doug?

im not a huge fan of Farmer but this story is something that happened last year. I think if you look at Pettines philosophy & the players Farmer has acquired, Its clear they are working together from a football perspective.

Florio loves to run with stories from the local sh*t-stirrers and create a national narrative.

Pettine made the right decision--he knew about the dysfunction in that FO/ownership. Had he stayed another year, it's possible he would be out of a job right now, like Schwartz, i the wake of the Bills recent housecleaning. It's true that the 4 guys ahead of him refused the job in Cleveland, but it was Pettine's best chance at a HC job.

Pettine made the right decision--he knew about the dysfunction in that FO/ownership. Had he stayed another year, it's possible he would be out of a job right now, like Schwartz, i the wake of the Bills recent housecleaning. It's true that the 4 guys ahead of him refused the job in Cleveland, but it was Pettine's best chance at a HC job.

Last year. Pettine doesn't have the "fired head coach" stink Schwartz has, and by running a stud Buffalo defense he'd have been in line for any of the cushy jobs that were available this past offseason. Pettine was viewed as a future HC when he came to Buffalo; I'm sure we can dig up some "what if we lose Pettine after 1-2 years" threads in this very forum.

I don't think you can overlook the Marrone dynamic in analyzing why he left.

one of the reasons he left was because he saw the inadequacies of Marrone.

Better to be a captain of your own sinking ship, than a lieutenant on a sinking ship under an incompentant captain.

Last year. Pettine doesn't have the "fired head coach" stink Schwartz has, and by running a stud Buffalo defense he'd have been in line for any of the cushy jobs that were available this past offseason. Pettine was viewed as a future HC when he came to Buffalo; I'm sure we can dig up some "what if we lose Pettine after 1-2 years" threads in this very forum.

I don't think you can overlook the Marrone dynamic in analyzing why he left.

Cushy jobs?

Anyway, even the wacky Browns regarded as a 5th choice for HC. Otherwise he would still have been on the Bills until released this year. He may have caught on as DC somewhere, but I doubt HC.

Yeah, he may have hated Marrone, but even if he loved him he would have taken a HC offer on any team. No one takes a HC job to get away from another HC.

Good point

Cushy jobs?

Anyway, even the wacky Browns regarded as a 5th choice for HC. Otherwise he would still have been on the Bills until released this year. He may have caught on as DC somewhere, but I doubt HC.

Yeah, he may have hated Marrone, but even if he loved him he would have taken a HC offer on any team. No one takes a HC job to get away from another HC.

Yes -- the Falcons, Bears, Broncos, 49ers, and even Jets were regarded as high profile opportunities. Certainly all much better than Cleveland. Pettine would absolutely have been at or near the top of the list of candidates.

He probably would have been named head coach here after Marrone punked out.