Why the Buffalo news is a RAG

Support your local newspaper in any way you can, or it will go away forever. And, then there will be nothing but the floating trash island of the internet.

In many cases, local newspapers are just as bad, if not worse. "The Internet" has nothing to do with bad journalism from "professional" sources.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're both responding to an SI piece that has gotten a decent amount of play. Nothing wrong with that.

Agreed.

The identical titles are weird. But I don't believe sportswriters actually choose their own article titles normally.

The articles themselves are different. Both writers are responding to the same SI MMQB piece saying the Bills have the worst QB situation in the NFL. But Dunne and Axe go off in different directions.

Do newspaper writers really not write their own headlines still? Things seem so bare boned now, I can't imagine there is some kind of team of headline writers. If there were, they'd have to read the articles and would pick up on all the sentences that don't make sense, typos, etc.

So I am reading through the articles linked today and I see a title that looks familiar... Do the Buffalo Bills have the worst QB situation in the NFL. It struck me that it sounded familiar, and the reason is that someone else from SYRACUSE already ran this article THREE days Ago. This HACK from the Buffalo Snooze wasn' even smart enough to change the title. AND he included the exact same poll in the bottom ofthe article that the first guy did. OMG. He should be fired at once. So should his editor.

I noticed this same thing years ago.We went to Boston to see the Sabres play the Bruins and there was an article in the Boston globe about Ray Bourque playing through the flu.The same article almost verbatim was written in the Buffalo news about a Sabre playing through the flu about a month later.

Edited by Very wide right

I did some research on this MMQB Andy Benoit guy. Just last month he posted on his twitter page that women's sports weren't worth watching (it's shocking he still has a job at a major sports publishing company like SI). This guy is extremely stupid considering his grand pronouncement was quickly followed by the women's soccer team smashing ratings records.

BTW Bills fans, he didn't just say that the Bills had the worst QB situation. He said on twitter that is was by a "WIDE WIDE MARGIN". So Bills fans everywhere should take comfort in the history of the more grand idiot Andy's pronouncements, the more wrong he seems to be...LOL It's funny that his prediction of Cassel being the starter is going to be wrong too. He couldn't even get that part right.

Edited by 1billsfan

Do newspaper writers really not write their own headlines still? Things seem so bare boned now, I can't imagine there is some kind of team of headline writers. If there were, they'd have to read the articles and would pick up on all the sentences that don't make sense, typos, etc.

Editors typically write the headlines.

At the newspaper where I worked, editors wrote the headlines; not writers.

It should also be noted that the cuts that newspapers make are usually the positions that catch the typos/grammatical errors, as well as paginators/layout people.

Newspapers, while they will never go away, are in bad shape in every city/town in the U.S.

At the newspaper where I worked, editors wrote the headlines; not writers.

It should also be noted that the cuts that newspapers make are usually the positions that catch the typos/grammatical errors, as well as paginators/layout people.

Newspapers, while they will never go away, are in bad shape in every city/town in the U.S.

I had an argument with Harrington once on twitter, where I said whoever is proofreading sucks or something to that effect, and he claimed they're doing a great job............I can see making mistakes online, but the print edition shouldn't be so horrible that I have to figure out what they really meant with those words.

just because someone's opinion is negative on the Bills they should be fired? or the article being replayed somewhere else without a Bills bandwagon guy trashing it, is wrong? geez, until proven otherwise , the Bills QB situation IS a disaster. no other way to report it right now. on paper, we got nothin' . glad they play the games on the field....

He's talking about a piece that ran on MMQB. He says as much. This really has nothing to do with the Syracuse piece.

It's the offseason and there's nothing to write about. I'd rather read this than a profile on a 4th stringer fighting for a job.

Don't forget about another Bill running a youth camp. I commend them for doing it, but is not news.

I had an argument with Harrington once on twitter, where I said whoever is proofreading sucks or something to that effect, and he claimed they're doing a great job............I can see making mistakes online, but the print edition shouldn't be so horrible that I have to figure out what they really meant with those words.

I actually think making mistakes online is less forgivable. Newspaper writers have far stricter deadlines due to the paper needing to be printed. Internet writers just need to click a button to upload their story to a site instantly.

In many cases, local newspapers are just as bad, if not worse. "The Internet" has nothing to do with bad journalism from "professional" sources.

In many newspapers, the only news that is actually written by their staff is local news and editorials. It's really the only reason they're still surviving. Any news outside of the readership area is usually from the AP. Who are the professional sources you're referring to?

Don't forget about another Bill running a youth camp. I commend them for doing it, but is not news.

But it is news. That's why they have headlines ... if it bores you, don't read it.

just because someone's opinion is negative on the Bills they should be fired? or the article being replayed somewhere else without a Bills bandwagon guy trashing it, is wrong? geez, until proven otherwise , the Bills QB situation IS a disaster. no other way to report it right now. on paper, we got nothin' . glad they play the games on the field....

But it's reported on an almost daily basis...we all get it.....