Bills' Camp @ SJF: Week 1 Day 6 - Begins on Page 64

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since it's an off day, let us take time to smile at this:

"Pats QB's struggling at training camp"

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-training-camps/0ap3000000506515/Patriots-QBs-struggling-at-training-camp?icampaign=nflcom-cs-homepage-videoswap_generic_nfl

Finally, THIS is the year that Brady is done! :beer:

So another team's QBs are struggling

Did sal go to the same college or is related to Cassel somehow? Everything I have read other than something from sal and nfln says that Cassel had looked like a career backup(paraphrasing)

I didn't read the article but the majority (almost all at this point) of reporters out there believe that Cassel is the most likely to start opening day. I think that we would be naive to think that Cassel taking 1st team reps every practice is anything less than an indication that he is the most likely to be under center vs. Indy. He is the safest of all of the guys and what he does best (his mind) hasn't yet been on display. I'm not a Cassel fan but it's not strange to think that he is leading. If there were odds on the QB battle at this point I'd say Cassel - 250, EJ +140, Taylor +180 (my money would be on Tyrod at +180).

Did sal go to the same college or is related to Cassel somehow? Everything I have read other than something from sal and nfln says that Cassel had looked like a career backup(paraphrasing)

dunno.gif The local media pundits are lending too much credence to Cassel's 10 years of experience IMO with all but two of them being mediocre or worse. It doesn't add up for me.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-training-camps/0ap3000000506515/Patriots-QBs-struggling-at-training-camp?icampaign=nflcom-cs-homepage-videoswap_generic_nfl

The funny thing is that each pass in training camp is dissected and overblown more than passes in actual games. Nobody goes point by point over every single incomplete pass or near INT in a regular season game but they do just that in a practice session. It's beyond ridiculous.

I didn't read the article but the majority (almost all at this point) of reporters out there believe that Cassel is the most likely to start opening day. I think that we would be naive to think that Cassel taking 1st team reps every practice is anything less than an indication that he is the most likely to be under center vs. Indy. He is the safest of all of the guys and what he does best (his mind) hasn't yet been on display. I'm not a Cassel fan but it's not strange to think that he is leading. If there were odds on the QB battle at this point I'd say Cassel - 250, EJ +140, Taylor +180 (my money would be on Tyrod at +180).

Going by the reporters, yes, Cassel and Taylor are the best and EJ should be cut. Like I said before, the the TBD reporters are giving a much better picture of what's going on. Are you really surprised that a guy that has worked the first team offense has looked better than guys taking half the reps?

I guess the better question would be why has an 11 year pro with all the first team reps not shown distance from two guys with less experience combine with twice the amount of first team reps?

Edited by The Wiz

@DandC

UPDATE: @salmaiorana assesses the #bills QB situation: http://on.rocne.ws/1Um5Gj4

CLm8pVgWsAA2Nou.jpg

The bar on the side is funny. His pre-camp prediction had EJ at 50% and then on Aug 2 at 25%. I love that reporters (like this board) hit the panic button after 3 days. I'm going to hold off all predictions until at least the scrimmage, but I will continue to laugh at any wild fluctuations in predictions on a day to day basis.

Welp now you've gone and jinxed it!!!

Brady's first interception = struggling. noted.

He literally goes on and says word for word "Jimmy Garoppolo also struggling, had two VERY good throws during a team portion."

Look fellas...New England has their very own Joe B!

Edited by Hot Buffalo Wings

Going by the reporters, yes, Cassel and Taylor are the best and EJ should be cut. Like I said before, the the TBD reporters are giving a much better picture of what's going on. Are you really surprised that a guy that has worked the first team offense has looked better than guys taking half the reps?

I guess the better question would be why has an 11 year pro with all the first team reps not shown distance from two guys with less experience combine with twice the amount of first team reps?

Because he isn't good and he plays against primarily the 1st team defense. That's obvious but to this point none of them have been particularly good. The Bills believe that they are loaded. They want someone to make good decisions and take care of the football. They don't need their QB to win games because the rest of the team is stacked. That is why they were so set on getting a vet like Cassel. If one of the young guys passes by him great but if they don't you have a safe option. As of right now the young guys haven't passed by him yet. They may as camp progresses but if the season started tomorrow it would be Cassel. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Because he isn't good and he plays against primarily the 1st team defense. That's obvious but to this point none of them have been particularly good. The Bills believe that they are loaded. They want someone to make good decisions and take care of the football. They don't need their QB to win games because the rest of the team is stacked. That is why they were so set on getting a vet like Cassel. If one of the young guys passes by him great but if they don't you have a safe option. As of right now the young guys haven't passed by him yet. They may as camp progresses but if the season started tomorrow it would be Cassel.

I'm really trying to not overreact and let the competition play out. I love the passion of fans but as anyone who has been a part of training camp, it's a process. EJ said he is just trying to get better every day. That should be the goal for every player.

I posted in another thread but we need to stop with this Cassel is the safe choice myth. He has 34 ints and 19 fumbles in his last 30 games. One of EJ's flaws IMO is he tries too hard not to make a mistake. Believe it not, Manuel is better at not turning it over than Cassel (there is no concrete evidence of TT at the NFL level).

Additionally, Cassel completed 57.7% of his passes last year at 6 ypa, worse than EJ. So what is he really bringing to the table? It would be such a Bills move to start Cassel. I stop praying on the NFL but I'm close to doing so for EJ or Taylor to start. Cassel is the guy you turn to if everything else goes wrong.

And to the people saying the reporters don't care who wins the job. Are you serious? Joe B has trashed EJ since he was drafted. Would he look better ot worse if EJ, who again is in his 3rd season, become a solid NFL starter? He and others have said he might be cut.

Obviously, I want EJ to win the job. Real likable dude who IMO is the best blend of Cassel and Taylor. Long way to go and he needs to prove it on the field. But man, Matt Cassel is the 5 who looks like a 7 at bar closing. C.Biscuit don't do 5s. I go with 7s with potential to become 9s with some work. :)

I'm really trying to not overreact and let the competition play out. I love the passion of fans but as anyone who has been a part of training camp, it's a process. EJ said he is just trying to get better every day. That should be the goal for every player.

I posted in another thread but we need to stop with this Cassel is the safe choice myth. He has 34 ints and 19 fumbles in his last 30 games. One of EJ's flaws IMO is he tries too hard not to make a mistake. Believe it not, Manuel is better at not turning it over than Cassel (there is no concrete evidence of TT at the NFL level).

Additionally, Cassel completed 57.7% of his passes last year at 6 ypa, worse than EJ. So what is he really bringing to the table? It would be such a Bills move to start Cassel. I stop praying on the NFL but I'm close to doing so for EJ or Taylor to start. Cassel is the guy you turn to if everything else goes wrong.

And to the people saying the reporters don't care who wins the job. Are you serious? Joe B has trashed EJ since he was drafted. Would he look better ot worse if EJ, who again is in his 3rd season, become a solid NFL starter? He and others have said he might be cut.

Obviously, I want EJ to win the job. Real likable dude who IMO is the best blend of Cassel and Taylor. Long way to go and he needs to prove it on the field. But man, Matt Cassel is the 5 who looks like a 7 at bar closing. C.Biscuit don't do 5s. I go with 7s with potential to become 9s with some work. :)

Cassel had a great start last year (STL), a disastrous start (NE) and what looks like a half game. The year before he completed between 60-61%, averaged 200 yards a game and had an 11 to 9 TD to INT (similar to EJ in 2013).

I'm not hoping for Cassel either but I don't have any doubts that if the season started now he would be the guy. There is still a month left for someone to overtake him but their play will have to improve if that is going to happen. The Bills believe (right or wrong) that if the QB makes good decisions and takes care of the ball they will win. That is why they chased McCown and then immediately traded for Cassel. They wanted a vet that has had some success to manage games if no one else emerged. As of today it is tough to say that anyone else has emerged (but there is time).

I know how EJ is viewed within the building and if you guys think that he has an uphill battle winning over the media you should see the uphill battle internally. They love him as a person and his work ethic but there are serious concerns about the way that he sees the field. Again, he has a chance to win people over with his play and he may. If a young guy is to emerge it's more likely to be Taylor IMO. I'll leave the topic there because its exhausting and there is a month for it all to play out. I don't care at all who it is as long as they win.