Our QB's look "bad" against our D-What QB's don't?

A lot of people overreacted last year when we saw the preseason with our own eyes. There were quite a few "winless for winston", and "3 wins tops" projections out there. While our offense was horrid, as was reported, we still overcame it. We just gotta be patient and take this stuff with a grain of salt. There isn't much we can really do about the QBs at this point.

I keep hearing how our QB's look "mediocre to awful" against our D in practice. OK, isn't that what most QB's looked like our D when we play them? Last year our D had the second best QB Rating against in the NFL at a 74.5. The year before that it was 3rd best in the NFL at a 74.9...

So against pretty much the entire NFL, our defense makes QB's look very average to awful.

Why exactly would our QB's who are not world beaters by any means, excel against our defense? It makes no sense at all and drives me crazy to hear this argument.

OK, so they look "bad" against our D. What QB doesn't to be honest? Aaron Rodgers had his worst game of his career against us. Peyton Manning had his worst game in 7 or 8 years and one of the 3 or 4 worst games in his career against us. The list goes on and on.

Bottom line is our D makes even the best QB's look average or worse, why would the QB's we have look great against them?

Makes no sense from fans, the media or anyone else to expect this.

Our defense is not trying to kill our own QBs though via the pass rush. That's a huge element of the passing game that is, in all reality, removed from a practice scenario. Yeah, they may get in, but I'm not too worried about being "touched" compared to in a real game when I'm worrying about 300lbs of muscle slamming me to the ground if I don't get rid of it quick enough.

Our QB's look bad before they step on the field, vs air, vs 7 on 7, vs 11 on 11. No surprise here

This is a great foundation to build upon!

The (our)QBs so suck. Of course they do. They (we) have for years.

i would rather be quiet for now and wait.

quietly hoping.

thats the definition of a very Zen Bills fan.

Be One.

FWIW all NFL defenses usually come together quicker then the offense does. Typically defensive schemes are just so much easier to install IMO. The exceptions might be for teams like the Packers, Broncos, Patriots whom already have had their offenses installed years previous along with their elite QB's.

The Bills have all new coaches, and are implementing an entire new offensive scheme for the entire offense to learn. Plus they don't have any solid continuity on the O line as it looks like they will be at the least starting two new OG's, and perhaps two OG's and a new RT.

I really don't expect any QB to play really well in this new offense for at least a few weeks into the season. Hopefully the run game will be the dominate factor on offense at first.

The problem is, according to Carucci, they look bad facing air.

Don't worry, on gme days they plan to remove some of the air....

wait...

I hear you get in trouble if they catch you.

I can understand your "bright" outlook WRT the Defense making the Bills QB's look inadequate

but you should actually look at the 2014 season and reign in the praise just a bit.

The 2-10(ish) Raiders put up 26 points :blush:

The Putrids (when it mattered) put up 37 :blush::bag:

The inept NYETS put up 23 :blush:

Peyton put up 24

great defenses average < 17ppg (yes the Bills had allowed 18 ppg)

FTR beyond the Raiders and Bronco's, yes, the D was dominant in the last 6 games WITH injuries.

of the last 8 games, I would only say 3 of those were top tier teams so you factor in SOS

please reign in any harsh replies for my presumed insult to the defense and injuries. just trying to keep it realistic

Our QBs look bad because they are bad. They should be doing well on routes vs. air and in 7 on 7 but all reports indicate they are still inconsistent and not very good. It's early but I can't just expect these guys to magically flip a switch and suddenly be accurate and throw with anticipation just because it's training camp. It's only going to get harder for the QB's the further along we go.

Edited by Bangarang

Our QBs look bad because they are bad. They should be doing well on routes vs. air and in 7 on 7 but all reports indicate they are still inconsistent and not very good. It's early but I can't just expect these guys to magically flip a switch and suddenly be accurate and throw with anticipation just because it's training camp. It's only going to get harder for the QB's the further along we go.

You're right, Gus, QBs only get worse as training camp progresses-- especially in a new system, :doh:

Most starting NFL teams would look good against the Bills second unit. By all accounts from OTA's none of our set of four has.

Bearing in mind that "all accounts" from OTAs equals a total of what, 3 out of 10 sessions open to the press and that the accounts from same are selective and include a number of good plays?

I'm not saying it's mahvelous not to hear glowing reports, I'm just saying I'd hold off a bit before shelling out for the Deluxe Sky Shield, Chicken LIttle.

You're right, Gus, QBs only get worse as training camp progresses-- especially in a new system, :doh:

So I'm supposed to assume they get better when the speed gets a lot faster and there's actually a defense coming after them with greater intensity? I'm expecting the same inconsistent and mediocre play from these guys once camp starts. Simply put, they're just not any good.

Edited by Bangarang

So I'm supposed to assume they get better when the speed gets a lot faster and there's actually a defense coming after them with greater intensity? I'm expecting the same inconsistent and mediocre play from these guys once camp starts. Simply put, they're just not any good.

Notwithstanding your gloomy perspective, Gus: As the offensive scheme progresses, the QBs build rapport with their skill players, the O-line coalesces, the final roster evolves, and the QB who stands out above the others gets more reps with the first team in the offense that Roman is currently working to install, then yes, we can assume that whoever our starter ends up being will improve.

Or, at the very least, we can hope. And, it's not such a far stretch.