Our QB's look "bad" against our D-What QB's don't?

I keep hearing how our QB's look "mediocre to awful" against our D in practice. OK, isn't that what most QB's looked like our D when we play them? Last year our D had the second best QB Rating against in the NFL at a 74.5. The year before that it was 3rd best in the NFL at a 74.9...

So against pretty much the entire NFL, our defense makes QB's look very average to awful.

Why exactly would our QB's who are not world beaters by any means, excel against our defense? It makes no sense at all and drives me crazy to hear this argument.

OK, so they look "bad" against our D. What QB doesn't to be honest? Aaron Rodgers had his worst game of his career against us. Peyton Manning had his worst game in 7 or 8 years and one of the 3 or 4 worst games in his career against us. The list goes on and on.

Bottom line is our D makes even the best QB's look average or worse, why would the QB's we have look great against them?

Makes no sense from fans, the media or anyone else to expect this.

Edited by matter2003

I get what you are saying, but the problem is the poor anticipation, the over/under/late thrown passes. But a point worth considering.

Poor anticipation could be caused by the fear of knowing the DB's could be baiting them into throwing the ball so they could pick it off...not saying this is definitely the reason, but if any QB had to go up against our D on a daily basis they would probably come away a little skittish...

It's way too early this season to assess any of our QBs yet.

I do think, however, that you can evaluate a QB when he's practicing against a good D. While the completion percentage might be lower than you want, you can still visually judge ball placement, progressions, timing, footwork, mechanics, and so on.

Poor anticipation could be caused by the fear of knowing the DB's could be baiting them into throwing the ball so they could pick it off...not saying this is definitely the reason, but if any QB had to go up against our D on a daily basis they would probably come away a little skittish...

You would think any QB who would have to go against our D on a daily basis would get better and perform against lesser Ds. I can't wait to camp and pre-season to see if there is a correlation.

You should be pretty calm in practice. I think it's our front 4 more than our DBs that make QBs look bad. When you don't have to worry about actually getting hit I don't see how our D should really have an effect on timing.

Keep rationalizing bad qb play....that's been the theme of the last 10 June July and Augusts.....

Ok,let me ask you this.

How many games this year do you think the opponents QB will have a higher rating than the Bills QB in games against us.

I think you are going to find our QB will have a better rating more often than not thanks to our D

The main strength of our Dee is the Dline/passrush. Not saying we aren't strong beyond that, but I don't think you'd call it elite, especially absent 3 DB starters. As none of these drills are "live", I'd have to think this GREATLY minimizes the effect of said pass rush. As such, I don't think the strength of the defense would have much effect on QB effectiveness/appearance.

The main strength of our Dee is the Dline/passrush. Not saying we aren't strong beyond that, but I don't think you'd call it elite, especially absent 3 DB starters. As none of these drills are "live", I'd have to think this GREATLY minimizes the effect of said pass rush. As such, I don't think the strength of the defense would have much effect on QB effectiveness/appearance.

without pads, it is very difficult for the OL to block fwiw

I keep hearing how our QB's look "mediocre to awful" against our D in practice. OK, isn't that what most QB's looked like our D when we play them? Last year our D had the second best QB Rating against in the NFL at a 74.5. The year before that it was 3rd best in the NFL at a 74.9...

So against pretty much the entire NFL, our defense makes QB's look very average to awful.

Why exactly would our QB's who are not world beaters by any means, excel against our defense? It makes no sense at all and drives me crazy to hear this argument.

OK, so they look "bad" against our D. What QB doesn't to be honest? Aaron Rodgers had his worst game of his career against us. Peyton Manning had his worst game in 7 or 8 years and one of the 3 or 4 worst games in his career against us. The list goes on and on.

Bottom line is our D makes even the best QB's look average or worse, why would the QB's we have look great against them?

Makes no sense from fans, the media or anyone else to expect this.

I can't give our offense a pass on this. We aren't the only good D in the league, depending upon exactly how things come out - might be top-10, might not be. And, we're in shorts; no pads, no tackling. The O has to get it done.

What I think *is* worth remembering, and doesn't seem to show up in the media, is we are installing a new offense. The WR are learning it, the QB are learning it. So some of the hesitation and miscues (leading to inaccuracy etc) is likely to be related to learning the offense, and either the WR aren't exactly where they are supposed to be or the QB is thinking about what the play is supposed to look like and hesitates and by the time the ball gets to where it should be the WR has already "been there and gone on".

The other thing is: really good QB have, say, 65% completion percentage and throw <1 INT per game. Let's pump it up a bit for shorts, and say 70%. That means, if a QB is throwing 30 passes during an OTA, 21 will be complete and 9 will be incomplete. I don't hear anything about completion percentage coming out of OTAs and our fans commonly don't seem to realize that if you watch Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees, they will throw a handful of passes per game (sometimes a double handful) that look really bad for whatever reason.

I get what you are saying, but the problem is the poor anticipation, the over/under/late thrown passes. But a point worth considering.

Anticipation comes with knowing the playbook inside and out and where your receivers are going to be. Hitches and hiccups in QB reads are common when the players are still trying to learn the system and the personnel they're throwing the ball to. EJ has the edge in the later portion over Meh and Taylor, but everyone is learning a new system currently. It's early June, plenty of time to get things cleaned up.

Our QB's look bad before they step on the field, vs air, vs 7 on 7, vs 11 on 11. No surprise here

I still haven't seen any link to where any Bills Coach, or any reporter covering the team has said, "These quarterbacks look bad..." There have been problems that have been reported-- Cassel had a poor second half of practice, EJ overthrew someone, etc. But, nothing to the degree that we saw with Garrapolo the other day.

But, more to the point, we haven't seen anything that is even remotely surprising. There haven't been any meltdowns, everyone is, more or less, who we thought they were, and everyone is still working hard to improve. (If anything, Tyrod has been a pleasant surprise.) The question should be. "how will they improve between now, and Sept, and who will be most improved?" "Who will be the best fit?"

This constant hand-wringing over how "bad" our quarterbacks are is neither enlightening, nor relevant.