Article: E.J. is beating out Cassel and Taylor in OTA's

pbanach

He had a number of BAD games, not just 1, please don't be such an E.J. apologist. The Houston disaster just happened to be the one that got him benched.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2014092100/2014/REG3/chargers@bills?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr#menu=drivechart&tab=analyze&analyze=boxscore

Benched with the same stats through 4 games as Tannehill by a coach who turned 9-7 into an assistant job with the Jags.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Benched with the same stats through 4 games as Tannehill by a coach who turned 9-7 into an assistant job with the Jags.

Dude, seriously? :huh::blink::wacko:

Circular reasoning

Ryan Tannehill showed more promise his first two years.

He was also drafted higher. As the third QB.

Edited by FireChan

He had a number of BAD games, not just 1, please don't be such an E.J. apologist. The Houston disaster just happened to be the one that got him benched.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2014092100/2014/REG3/chargers@bills?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr#menu=drivechart&tab=analyze&analyze=boxscore

Go ahead and call me an apologist if you must.

In the Houston game the final score was 23-17. That isn't THAT bad.

What of King Orton? He was bad in a number of games, yet Moron stayed with him for some unknown reason. By November at least 95% of the Ortonites realized Kyle wasn't the answer.

WRT the playoffs

How bad did Petyon look against the Seahawks in the SB? HORRIBLE

How bad did Luck look against the Cheatriots in the AFCCG? HORRIBLE

WRT Houston in the season

How bad did Flacco look against the Houston in their game losing 25-13?

Since Houston had a softer schedule it's not relevant to mention their wins against JAX or Tenny or Cleveland or the Raiders.

You're right. There is zero reason to question any decision making by Doug Marrone.

I am getting drawn further down the rabbit hole here. I did not like Doug Marrone as coach after the first season. O coordinator was brutal IMO also. Game

decisions were horrible and he couldn't seem to find a way to manage the O-line correctly. I DO NOT fault him for pulling E.J. after 4 starts however: I had seen

enough myself also. Orton was bad after several games/end of season, however not E.J. bad.

Go ahead and call me an apologist if you must.

In the Houston game the final score was 23-17. That isn't THAT bad.

What of King Orton? He was bad in a number of games, yet Moron stayed with him for some unknown reason. By November at least 95% of the Ortonites realized Kyle wasn't the answer.

WRT the playoffs

How bad did Petyon look against the Seahawks in the SB? HORRIBLE

How bad did Luck look against the Cheatriots in the AFCCG? HORRIBLE

WRT Houston in the season

How bad did Flacco look against the Houston in their game losing 25-13?

Since Houston had a softer schedule it's not relevant to mention their wins against JAX or Tenny or Cleveland or the Raiders.

Sorry.

Also, I posted the wrong bad game.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2014092802/2014/REG4/bills@texans?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A0ap3000000404139&tab=analyze&analyze=playbyplay

Orton clearly wasn't the answer. Agreed.

21 - 44, for 245 yards. 2 TD 2 PICK, 5.6 yards/attempt. 47 % completions? That's pretty bad IMO.

Sorry.

Also, I posted the wrong bad game.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2014092802/2014/REG4/bills@texans?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A0ap3000000404139&tab=analyze&analyze=playbyplay

Orton clearly wasn't the answer. Agreed.

21 - 44, for 245 yards. 2 TD 2 PICK, 5.6 yards/attempt. 47 % completions? That's pretty bad IMO.

If your going to pick one game then here are Orton's stats vs Miami.

22-39 for 193 yards, 0 TD, 0 picks, 4.9 yards/attepmt 56% completion.

Blaming (or praising) the QB for everything is a bad way to represent the team as a whole. Here's another example. Orton went 32-49 for 329 yards, 6.5 yards/attempt and 65.1% completion. Guess which game that was? I'll give you a hint, they lost that game.

Also take into account that the Houston game that EJ was hit something like 15 times. That doesn't happen ever.

Edited by The Wiz

If your going to pick one game then here are Orton's stats vs Miami.

22-39 for 193 yards, 0 TD, 0 picks, 4.9 yards/attepmt 56% completion.

Blaming (or praising) the QB for everything is a bad way to represent the team as a whole. Here's another example. Orton went 32-49 for 329 yards, 6.5 yards/attempt and 65.1% completion. Guess which game that was? I'll give you a hint, they lost that game.

Also take into account that the Houston game that EJ was hit something like 15 times. That doesn't happen ever.

Correct. I think you are taking this out of context: I picked the last game he started, after which he as benched. I would have benched him also.

E.J. bad was > Orton bad, IMO, and every game E.J. played into the season, D coordinators were going to pick him apart. He wasn't getting. Marrone was just barely smart enough to pull him and maybe salvage the season: which he did. IMO

Everyone can criticize Marrone, and I will too for other decisions, but not that one.

Correct. I think you are taking this out of context: I picked the last game he started, after which he as benched. I would have benched him also.

E.J. bad was > Orton bad, IMO, and every game E.J. played into the season, D coordinators were going to pick him apart. He wasn't getting. Marrone was just barely smart enough to pull him and maybe salvage the season: which he did. IMO

Everyone can criticize Marrone, and I will too for other decisions, but not that one.

I was in favor of the benching at the time also. I also believe that Marrone had no interest in trying to help a rookie QB develop and wanted a vet that he could just put out there, tell him to do what he wanted and let the chips fall where they may.

EJ bad and Orton bad are basically the same. A bad game is a bad game if it ends up in the L column. Both players had good and bad games was why I pointed out some of Orton's stats.

As I said earlier, we still don't know what EJ can/can't do but having a bad game (EJ bad in his first 14 starts) doesn't really tell anything. Everyone wants him to be at least at Tannehill's level. Tanny had 3 games in his first 16 starts that were sub 45% completion. They stuck with it and at least have a game manager/decent at QB. Now we have to wait and see with EJ but we've already wasted a year because a coach likely wanted to pad his resume.

Edited by The Wiz

@JoeBuscaglia

EJ Manuel has been impressive so far today. Matt Cassel has been a pile of hot garbage. Still an hour to go. #Bills

Joe Buscaglia ‏@JoeBuscaglia 2h2 hours ago

EJ Manuel has been the best quarterback today, and it hasn't even been close. #Bills

Interesting; thanks.

Whilst I am not sure I agree that EJ's bad was worse than anything Orton produced (I'd have pulled him at least twice down the stretch to be honest his play through 4 weeks - Cleveland, Denver, Green Bay and Oakland was wretched) I don't think anyone could really argue at the time the benching happened. I said on here in the shoutbox as soon as that Houston game finished that it was a kind of performance that gets you benched.... I also said it was the kind of performance that gets an OC fired and I think if that was genuinely an independent OC he might have been.... but if as many believe he was simply carrying out Marrone's instructions then him surviving made more sense.

I just don't get starting a rookie, poor pass-blocking OG (Cyril Richardson) versus arguably the best DLman in the NFL (Watt). I don't understand how the O-line could be managed so poorly.

They should've kept Doug Legursky...

Seantrel Henderson was the one standing there blocking nothing - watch 66
Edited by ....lybob

Exhibit #320000001 of dishonest arguing.

What’s so dishonest about pointing out that Marrone was wrong on just about everything else, so why wouldn’t it be an honest question to wonder if he was wrong on Manuel?
Today’s news was a little tough for fans like you who have this false narrative cemented in your heads that Manuel is garbage. That Marrone was a fairly competent coach who did all he could do for EJ and he had to save the team. In all honestly, Marrone did not know what he was doing on offense and it effected everyone on offense…the line, the RBs, the WRs, the TEs, the QBs.
Ironically, Marrone’s benching of Manuel probably saved EJ. Because Marrone’s horrible offensive schemes and game plans were never going to put a QB in a consistent position to have success. IMO, if Manuel takes off this year Marrone will be forced to go back to the college game or stay at a low level positional coaching spot in the NFL.
Edited by 1billsfan