The Defense: hype vs stats

TPS

Rex certainly brings excitement, but will he bring results? Will this D be better? where it matters most, points allowed, I don't think so, but I hope so.

Their personnel was well-suited for Schwartz's System, more of a bend don't break, and rely on the front 4 to put pressure. The Bills' success last year was due to the D, as ppg went from 24.3 to 18.1; and the O stayed almost the same at 21.

For Ryan's Jets, the last time their D was in the top 10 in ppg was 2010. They were #1 in Rex's first year, 2009. The last 4 years they have been average at best. They will be flashy like pettine's D, but I doubt they will out-perform last year's ranking. Their weakness, as it was under pettine, will be the run D, giving up the big play. They will be better than 2013, but they ranked 20th then vs Schwartz 4th.

If the Bills are to make the playoffs, the improvement has to be on the O, where they've made the biggest investment this year. Of, course, this is just my opinion man....

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex certainly brings excitement, but will he bring results? Will this D be better? where it matters most, points allowed, I don't think so, but I hope so.

Their personnel was well-suited for Schwartz's System, more of a bend don't break, and rely on the front 4 to put pressure. The Bills' success last year was due to the D, as ppg went from 24.3 to 18.1; and the O stayed almost the same at 21.

For Ryan's Jets, the last time their D was in the top 10 in ppg was 2010. They were #1 in Rex's first year, 2009. The last 4 years they have been average at best. They will be flashy like pettine's D, but I doubt they will out-perform last year's ranking. Their weakness, as it was under pettine, will be the run D, giving up the big play. They will be better than 2013, but they ranked 20th then vs Schwartz 4th.

If the Bills are to make the playoffs, the improvement has to be on the O, where they've made the biggest investment this year. Of, course, this is just my opinion man....

why do you think their weakness will be run D?

Besides defensive line, the Bills' defensive talent was far superior to what the Jets have. It's why I started to think Ryan was a good coach because those weren't very talent Jets teams at the end of his time there.

It's right to have some reservations about Rex and his ability to handle an offense. But I will blindly trust him with the defense because he has earned it. He is a top 3 defensive coach in the NFL. If he wants to put Dan Carperter at DT, I will trust him.

Those '09/10 Jets teams made the playoffs because they were balanced. They had Brian Schottenheimer implementing a run-heavy system with multiple schemes and Thomas Jones/Ladanian Tomlinson.

After that, their RB talent went downhill, Schottenheimer left after 2011 and they weren't a balanced team anymore.

I wouldn't worry about the defense. As long as our offense can sustain drives and protect the football, the ppg allowed won't be an issue. We'll be balanced and win games.

I think last year showed how important the DBs are to Ryan's defensive game planning. The failures of the backsiders led to a big drop off in his defense. But Jets run D in 2014 was better than Bills run D in yards allowed. Jets allowed more points in 2014, but that was on the back of a pretty bad pass D.

And to throw a bit of an excuse to Pettine's defense, he didn't have Dareus playing at peak level, and Kiko was no Spikes in run support.

Schwartz isn't nearly as good a defensive coach as Rex. If the defense gets worse this year, I'll be shocked. Injuries and things happen, but all things being equal, the defense might be historically good this year.

Pettine also I have to say wanted the flashy sack numbers, he wanted the complex blitzes because he wanted to get noticed, he needed to make a name for himself because he still dreamed of being an NFL Head Coach. Rex Ryan on the other hand has the name, he has the reputation, what he needs now is to win because he knows this might be his last run at it. I was a big fan of Schwartz - I thought he was the best coordinator hire this Franchise made since they first brought in Wade Phillips as DC. To better his defense would be beyond a lot of good NFL defensive minds.... however, this isn't most NFL defensive minds... this is Rex Ryan. My only and I mean only worry with this defense is that Rex will want to fix every little problem himself. He has to let Dennis Thurman coach, because I really believe him to be an exceptional coach.... if Thurman coaches and Rex calls the plays we are going to be one hell of a defense.

I think last year showed how important the DBs are to Ryan's defensive game planning. The failures of the backsiders led to a big drop off in his defense. But Jets run D in 2014 was better than Bills run D in yards allowed. Jets allowed more points in 2014, but that was on the back of a pretty bad pass D.

And to throw a bit of an excuse to Pettine's defense, he didn't have Dareus playing at peak level, and Kiko was no Spikes in run support.

Agreed. This is a gloom-and-doom sort of thread without much in the way of factual analysis aside from looking at one particular stat (PPG) out of context. There isn't a person on the planet who believes Rex Ryan won't get as much out of this defense as Jim Schwartz. That's not a knock on Schwartz, it's recognition of Rex's ability.

Agreed. This is a gloom-and-doom sort of thread without much in the way of factual analysis aside from looking at one particular stat (PPG) out of context. There isn't a person on the planet who believes Rex Ryan won't get as much out of this defense as Jim Schwartz. That's not a knock on Schwartz, it's recognition of Rex's ability.

to last years credit, the roster was a perfect fit to schwartzs scheme. Rex has a lot more versatility, and creativity but if you give a very good DC the prototype group of guys for what hes trying to do -- its possible schwartz comes out slightly ahead.

i think rex will be as good though, personally.

Pettine also I have to say wanted the flashy sack numbers, he wanted the complex blitzes because he wanted to get noticed, he needed to make a name for himself because he still dreamed of being an NFL Head Coach. Rex Ryan on the other hand has the name, he has the reputation, what he needs now is to win because he knows this might be his last run at it. I was a big fan of Schwartz - I thought he was the best coordinator hire this Franchise made since they first brought in Wade Phillips as DC. To better his defense would be beyond a lot of good NFL defensive minds.... however, this isn't most NFL defensive minds... this is Rex Ryan. My only and I mean only worry with this defense is that Rex will want to fix every little problem himself. He has to let Dennis Thurman coach, because I really believe him to be an exceptional coach.... if Thurman coaches and Rex calls the plays we are going to be one hell of a defense.

Objection, Your Honor. Speculation.

to last years credit, the roster was a perfect fit to schwartzs scheme. Rex has a lot more versatility, and creativity but if you give a very good DC the prototype group of guys for what hes trying to do -- its possible schwartz comes out slightly ahead.

i think rex will be as good though, personally.

I think the roster is also a perfect fit to Rex's scheme, and if Rex > Schwartz as a defensive strategist (as I think nearly everyone would agree) the premise of this thread doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Objection, Your Honor. Speculation.

Indeed it is but the alternative is he had a run defense problem that he was trying very hard to fix and just couldn't. For Pettine's sake I prefer to believe that his priority was having a disruptive style of defense that made some noise and was willing to sacrifice a bit of lane discipline in the run game to get it. Todd Bowles proved again this offseason that flashy, blitz happy schemes are what get coordinators noticed in the HC derby.

Edited by GunnerBill

why do you think their weakness will be run D?

It has been their weakest link over the past several years. The strength of the D is the pass rush and DBs.

I agree that DBs are important to his D, and I would give him a pass for the last two years, but the last 4?

oh. If so, I can't take this post seriously. They are two different schemes. Rex always has a top run D.

His run D went down hill after 2010, and has been strong ever since they drafted Richardson.

It has been their weakest link over the past several years. The strength of the D is the pass rush and DBs.

I agree that DBs are important to his D, and I would give him a pass for the last two years, but the last 4?

His run D went down hill after 2010, and has been strong ever since they drafted Richardson.

it wasn't the weakest link last year, and it wasn't Rex's either. I don't know why it would be there weakest link next year.

it wasn't the weakest link last year, and it wasn't Rex's either. I don't know why it would be there weakest link next year.

They improved significantly over Pettine, but it wasn't the best part of their D. What would you consider the D's weakest link last year?

Again, regard the Jets' run D, they got good after drafting Richardson.

Edited by TPS

I think the roster is also a perfect fit to Rex's scheme, and if Rex > Schwartz as a defensive strategist (as I think nearly everyone would agree) the premise of this thread doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

The premise is I believe the Bills' personnel is better suited to the Schwartz scheme than the Ryan/Pettine scheme.

Granted, focusing on one metric (points) is sketchy, but it is what "counts" in the end. I don't think there is going to be a huge difference, but I am skeptical that this year's D will be better in terms of points allowed. And, I believe the difference will be the run D. I hope I am wrong.

The concern over the defense is laughable.

Rex Ryan has NEVER had a bad defense. Always in or near the Top 10, and hasn't had this much talent to work with since he was DC with the Ravens.

The only stat I am really concerned with is number of wins, but this will be a top defense.