Shady makes me shady

How about when Thurman thomas was cuzzing like a sailor at a father who took his son to training camp and made the mistake of jeering him in the crowd

or

When Jim Kelly did the things he did when he was younger

or

When Bruce Smith was having substance abuse problems

And yes...I love these players above and they have ALL turned out to be fine people in the end.....but it was not without bumps along the way when they were younger.......

If we want this team to become a winner.....we need to understand they are not all saints.

To those of us who were 8-10ish years old those guys were gods. It's a tough transition when you're adult enough to realize one of the star players on "your" team is of VERY questionable character. Social media has also completely changed the game.

I understand Mike, and feel very similarly. If he performs on the field, I'll quickly change my tune, as will you I'm sure.

Edited by SmokinES3

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like McCoy's personality either. He reminds me of a toned-down version of Floyd Mayweather. And I have my doubts about how good he'll be here. And I hated giving up Kiko for him.

But I like winning more than I dislike dumb Bills players, so yap away Shady. Just bring it on Sundays.

I couldn't care less about what McCoy says, some guys like to talk...who cares as long as he can perform on the field.

The sour on Buffalo stuff was obviously overblown and is a non issue since he reported and signed an extension relatively quickly. Dont know why ppl keep talking about this.

Edited by Max997

The comment about chip kelly was right after the trade happened, and it was months ago. A lot has happened since then, and he didnt want to talk about something he said months ago. I can't blame him for that, but he probably should have put it to rest rather than blowing it off. But it really isn't a big deal. That is really the only thing he has done "wrong" since the trade.

He says stupid stuff a lot, but not the type of stuff that ruins teams or something. Like when he said that his son his a better football player than tebow, or bryce brown was going to start over fred and cj. He says stupid stuff all the time. But it is barely news worthy or contraversial. mostly stuff you would just shrug your shoulders at.

If Shady wasn't a Bill everyone defending him would have a huge problem with his mouth. I guess I've had enough of big mouths like Buddy Nix and Lil Donte and I just want to see results. You'd think a guy who's production went down significantly last year would find a way to humble himself but I guess not. I never liked this trade and I'm finding it hard to root for another big mouth who hasn't produced in a Bills uniform.

I was aware of his talent as well as the Shady nickname, I just wasn't aware how bad the Shady was. As each day elapses without his talent making up for his ridiculous comments its very hard finding any reason to like him. First he was sour on going to Buffalo, get it, that's fine. I actually liked the fact that he felt a bit scorned, figured it would be more fuel for the fire this year. As time progressed it seemed like every time he spoke he would say the right thing "I'm happy to be a Buffalo Bill, let's put the past behind" while seconds later a passive aggressive comment would follow about his previous relationship with the Eagles and Kelly. Right when you think he's finally shutting up he repeats the same crap all over again, except this time why not add the race card. After he gets smoked by the media he goes into retreat not addressing his ridiculous comments, he resurfaces somehow angry that he would be asked to discuss them at more length. As I said earlier, the guy needs to get on the field and do it fast. As it stands I have very little reason to like him and can't imagine I'm the only one who feels that way.

McCoy can come off as a jerk at times, but so can a bus driver, teacher or office worker; I'm sure there's someone, somewhere who might say you were a jerk to them at some point. We all have been jerks, or been perceived as such, and said ill-advised things to someone, or done regrettable things. No different than McCoy, or some other public figure. He's also still on the young side; a guy who has been praised since childhood for his abilities. That plays a part in his maturity. He's not getting himself arrested and locked up for violent acts, or other criminal acts, so as far as I'm concerned he's fine at the end of the day.

And as far as the "race card" how do you know he doesn't have legit reasons for saying what he said? None of us have interacted with Chip Kelly and LeSean McCoy, when they've been together, to know anything definitive, one way or the other. It could very well be that McCoy is perceiving Kelly's actions in the wrong way. On the surface, to me, it sounds like Kelly is a control-freak, who wants totalitarian authority, and anyone who does not do what he wants, without question, he gets rid of. That doesn't, in itself, make him a racist by any means. At the same time, McCoy might have had personal interactions with Kelly, that not even other black players are privy to, that led him to feel the way he does. (and Riley Cooper's continued presence, could play a part in McCoy's perception as well.) From my personal experience, I've found racsim to be more complicated than many want to acknowledge; often it's overt; more often it's insidious, and sometimes the person acting in a racist way doesn't even understand why they did what they did, or said what they said (see Cooper, Riley).

You'd think a guy who's production went down significantly last year would find a way to humble himself but I guess not. I never liked this trade and I'm finding it hard to root for another big mouth who hasn't produced in a Bills uniform.

Significantly? I wouldn't call going from 1600 yds to 1300 yds significant. His ypc was still above league average as well. He went from leading the league in rushing to third in the league. That's with Kelly taking him out of games, and injuries along the Eagles offensive line. I also believe his statistics, if that's what's important to you, improved as the season went along, and again, that's with him being removed from games in favor of Sproles. I'll take Shady's "down" year from any RB, in any year and be happy.

Edited by purple haze

McCoy can come off as a jerk at times, but so can a bus driver, teacher or office worker; I'm sure there's someone, somewhere who might say you were a jerk to them at some point. We all have been jerks, or been perceived as such, and said ill-advised things to someone, or done regrettable things. No different than McCoy, or some other public figure. He's also still on the young side; a guy who has been praised since childhood for his abilities. That plays a part in his maturity. He's not getting himself arrested and locked up for violent acts, or other criminal acts, so as far as I'm concerned he's fine at the end of the day.

And as far as the "race card" how do you know he doesn't have legit reasons for saying what he said? None of us have interacted with Chip Kelly and LeSean McCoy, when they've been together, to know anything definitive, one way or the other. It could very well be that McCoy is perceiving Kelly's actions in the wrong way. On the surface, to me, it sounds like Kelly is a control-freak, who wants totalitarian authority, and anyone who does not do what he wants, without question, he gets rid of. That doesn't, in itself, make him a racist by any means. At the same time, McCoy might have had personal interactions with Kelly, that not even other black players are privy to, that led him to feel the way he does. (and Riley Cooper's continued presence, could play a part in McCoy's perception as well.) From my personal experience, I've found racsim to be more complicated than many want to acknowledge; often it's overt; more often it's insidious, and sometimes the person acting in a racist way doesn't even understand why they did what they did, or said what they said (see Cooper, Riley).

Significantly? I wouldn't call going from 1600 yds to 1300 yds significant. His ypc was still above league average as well. He went from leading the league in rushing to third in the league. That's with Kelly taking him out of games, and injuries along the Eagles offensive line. I also believe his statistics, if that's what's important to you, improved as the season went along, and again, that's with him being removed from games in favor of Sproles. I'll take Shady's "down" year from any RB, in any year and be happy.

Great great post. Explained the nuances perfectly.

Shady makes me shady

He makes you shady? How does that work?

I'd agree he's talked too much. And that having said those things he absolutely should have expected to be held accountable as far as explaining them. Of course he was going to be asked questions. He really handled this poorly.

One of the News guys, Skurski maybe, compared it to not handling a breakup well. Good comparison, IMHO. Not a big deal in the long run, but yeah he surely did handle things pretty poorly.

I'm no expert on Shady but from what I've seen he's exactly the opposite of what you're saying. He's actually well-known for handling the media very very well. He's generally considered very mature and he says the right things.

That's what makes this so weird. It really stands out in his career.

And you're right that we don't know if there was any real racial things going on. And that it can sometimes be complex. And that it might have happened between the two of them. But if there were ... he should have explained. In detail. If you're not willing to explain, don't play that card. Period. Seriously.

As for his down year, I really don't know. Could go either way. Might've been a signal of a downturn or a result of a system mismatch or just an anomaly. I am eager to see. I suspect he's too young for it to be a downturn, but wouldn't be surprised to see wear start to take it's serious toll in a year or three.

This is more media driven than anything. They purposely stoke fires to get headlines they can twist and work with. I think everyone knows his race charge is probably unfounded, including Mccoy not that he'll ever admit to it, but the media continues to bring this up and will keep asking him about it. I don't think he at all goes out of his way to keep this going with Chip or anything, he's just answering questions. Hopefully at some point the media will get tired of this and/or he will stop interviews if they ask him about it and he can just move forward.

Yeah. When you bring things up, you ought to expect to be asked about it.

How many times had he spoken to or answered questions from the media about his charges of racially-affected decisions?

That would be zero. This was his first time to talk to the media. So of course they asked him about it.

Edited by Thurman#1

To those of us who were 8-10ish years old those guys were gods. It's a tough transition when you're adult enough to realize one of the star players on "your" team is of VERY questionable character. Social media has also completely changed the game.

I understand Mike, and feel very similarly. If he performs on the field, I'll quickly change my tune, as will you I'm sure.

+1. This.

I can barely remember the Super Bowl years. The first full seasons I can remember where when Kelly, Reed, Thomas and Smith were in their twilight years. I grew up with their image pristine and that there were the greatest of all time.

As an adult, hearing about Kelly's incidents, and the Bickering Bills shocked me.

NFL players are people. At some point, normal people get pissed off, say things in the heat of the moment and do stupid things.

I don't know the man but after seeing multiple interviews he strikes me as a selfish, egocentric, me first type of guy. Chip Kelly is no dummy. He probably realized McCoy's best days are likely behind him and wanted to rid himself of a locker room prima donna. Let's realistically hope he can produce at a high level for 2-3 years and not put the Bills in salary cap hell with the ridiculous contract he signed.

One of my best friends went to Pitt & he still has friends down in the burgh that he graduated with that follow that program very closely & the way you described him is exactly how my friend says he was at Pitt. With that being said, as previous poster mentioned, he is a top 5 back with a major chip on his shoulder. Once he rushes for 1500 yards & his in the discussion for league MVP, people will start to warm up to him around Bills nation.

Will 1500 yds change your opinion? I get what you're saying but doesn't mean crap if shows up. Guys bitter and has a reason. He'll be great and get over it or FredEx is more productive and they cut his.

Love Fred but lol!

He may have a reason to be upset, but not to play the race card. The race card is the ol' fallback for not being able to express/or explain the reason for the feelings. Not a dig at you Beer, just the sentence. Edited by DirtDart

I was aware of his talent as well as the Shady nickname, I just wasn't aware how bad the Shady was. As each day elapses without his talent making up for his ridiculous comments its very hard finding any reason to like him. (...)As I said earlier, the guy needs to get on the field and do it fast. As it stands I have very little reason to like him and can't imagine I'm the only one who feels that way.

I think you need to get over yourself but that's just me. How do you expect the guy's talent to "make up for his ridiculous comments" or expect the guy to get on the field before September?

Take a Chill Pill Jill.

+1. This.

I can barely remember the Super Bowl years. The first full seasons I can remember where when Kelly, Reed, Thomas and Smith were in their twilight years. I grew up with their image pristine and that there were the greatest of all time.

As an adult, hearing about Kelly's incidents, and the Bickering Bills shocked me.

NFL players are people. At some point, normal people get pissed off, say things in the heat of the moment and do stupid things.

I can tell you from running into those guys on the 90s squad at no-names after games. They would regularly walk out on 400 dollar plus tabs, not pay, and not tip. They were total douches back then. Edited by DirtDart

The comment about chip kelly was right after the trade happened, and it was months ago. A lot has happened since then, and he didnt want to talk about something he said months ago. I can't blame him for that, but he probably should have put it to rest rather than blowing it off. But it really isn't a big deal. That is really the only thing he has done "wrong" since the trade.

He says stupid stuff a lot, but not the type of stuff that ruins teams or something. Like when he said that his son his a better football player than tebow, or bryce brown was going to start over fred and cj. He says stupid stuff all the time. But it is barely news worthy or contraversial. mostly stuff you would just shrug your shoulders at.

We used to have a saying, when you open your mouth and find your foot in it, it's time to shut up before you find yourself nibbling your kneecap and next they bust you for indecent exposure.

I think Shady said some stuff in the heat of the moment that he regrets saying, but actually believes. That being the case, he can't with sincerity retract it, and he'd only stir the pot if he explained it. So his best course of action is actually what he is doing, which is to shut up before they bust him for indecent exposure.

Cmon he's a top 5 back he's got a "chip" on his shoulder both figuratively and literally. Frankly, I can't wait to see him run in red white and blue. Glad he's a bill. Now let's go win some football games.

I get where you are going with that, but actually in this case he would have two figurative chips on his shoulder. His production would surely go down if a 200 lb man was weighing him down every time he carried the ball.