Eagles released Evan Mathis

John can beat richie for the other spot and be a solid depth guy. How has richie looked? I mean the guy hasnt played ball in two years.

he had played OG in the NFL for 10 years before that, and it hasn't been 2 years, it has been 20 mos. Regardless, there may be some rust but that's what camp is for - he isn't going to just forget how to play football. Kiko alonso hasn't played in 18 months either but no one seems worried in philly that he forgot how to be a linebacker. Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 3rd round rookie OG vs a seasoned vet who graded an amazing (+46.7) back in 2013 is a no brainer, and last season was on pace to be an all pro first teamer until an injury sidelined him a few games. McCoy had 1607 yards rushing in 2013, and Evans had a lot to do with that. By the same token when he was out with injuries last year is when McCoy was doing his "skittering" behind the line to find a hole. That "skittering" is a big reason why Kelly stated he wanted McCoy gone. (Spiller anyone?)

I have little to no faith in a 3rd round rookie at OG considering the results of last years three linemen drafted.

Whaley should find a way to make some cap room to sign this player, and in doing do would give the Bills a solid shot at the division title / playoff spot. I know I'd be much more enthused about the up coming season, and not just for the ability to run the ball effectively but to also protect the QB, and give them real time to make all the throws. JMHO

They love John Miller doe....

how much of them have they seen actually blocking someone at this point though? not much..... itll be interesting. allegedly they are reaching out which means they have sooooome interest

To the fans that think Mathis is to old or lost a step, and was released by Philly because of that need to read this article by CBS sports.

1. There was bad blood between the two sides. Mathis had wanted a new deal since the 2014 offseason and when the Eagles didn't make an offer, he ended up skipping the team's voluntary OTA sessions, something he did in both 2014 and 2015.

The Eagles did offer Mathis a new deal in September 2014 that would've given him a raise of about $1 million a year, but the team later rescinded the offer after general manager Howie Roseman was "demoted" to executive VP of football operations.

However, the Eagles did allow Mathis to look for a potential trading partner, but nothing came of that, something Chip Kelly made sure to let the general public know at the NFL Draft.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25212021/eagles-release-pro-bowl-og-evan-mathis-3-things-to-know

The Bills might actually be able to develop EJ, Taylor or have more success with Cassel with a top rated O line in 2015, and adding Evan Mathis would most certainly help attain a top line.

A 3rd round rookie OG vs a seasoned vet who graded an amazing (+46.7) back in 2013 is a no brainer, and last season was on pace to be an all pro first teamer until an injury sidelined him a few games. McCoy had 1607 yards rushing in 2013, and Evans had a lot to do with that. By the same token when he was out with injuries last year is when McCoy was doing his "skittering" behind the line to find a hole. That "skittering" is a big reason why Kelly stated he wanted McCoy gone. (Spiller anyone?)

I have little to no faith in a 3rd round rookie at OG considering the results of last years three linemen drafted.

Whaley should find a way to make some cap room to sign this player, and in doing do would give the Bills a solid shot at the division title / playoff spot. I know I'd be much more enthused about the up coming season, and not just for the ability to run the ball effectively but to also protect the QB, and give them real time to make all the throws. JMHO

Top ten decoy in NFL history.

My money is on Mathis signing with San Francisco, which is in dire need of OL help after losing Iupati and the sudden retirement of Davis.

Not as badly as some might think...they wisely drafted Brandon Thomas of Clemson in the 4th round of the 2014 draft. He likely would've been a top-50 pick that year had he not torn his ACL during pre-draft workouts; he's expected to start at LG in place of Iupati.

I could, however, see them trying Thomas at RT if they signed Mathis.

Not as badly as some might think...they wisely drafted Brandon Thomas of Clemson in the 4th round of the 2014 draft. He likely would've been a top-50 pick that year had he not torn his ACL during pre-draft workouts; he's expected to start at LG in place of Iupati.

I could, however, see them trying Thomas at RT if they signed Mathis.

I remember that draft pick and how they were talking about him having a "red shirt" year with the 49ers last season. He was a quality player at Clemson.

It would certainly solidify the offensive line but what are cap numbers? Cut Williams and save something like 2 million but gonna have to pay a qb next year or draft one.

Edited by seq004

I remember that draft pick and how they were talking about him having a "red shirt" year with the 49ers last season. He was a quality player at Clemson.

Got that right...it was a pick I was hoping that Buffalo would make. I was almost positive from the moment that SF took him that they wouldn't be re-signing Iupati.

I believe there were teams that felt that Thomas could even play LT; I like him better at guard--he's shorter and stockier than the typical LT.

I`ve heard of him. He`s the best. Shady only made big yardage running through his holes. We will win every game if we get him.Duh bills fan. We need to start saving for our own boys. Our line will be just fine ,with a new back ....backs running behind it.

I would agree with the spirit of your post.

Has the emergency of Miller and Kouandjio along with the solid play of Incognito changed the Bills offense line outlook a bit since FA began? Sure it has. I think it was a best case scenario that the Bills would find a OG in the draft who had the smarts and could possibly come in day one and start, along with Kouandjio finally having the light bulb go on (or rather having a coaching staff have confidence in him, depending on how you look at it) and have Incognito become the player that they had hoped he could be when they signed him off the scrap heap. All have come to fruition thus far.

But again, similar to the QB battle, this is all against air. Miller, Kouandjio, and Incognito haven't blocked anyone yet. When the real bullets fly is when we are going to see what these player are made of.

Unfortunately for Buffalo, their last chance to seriously upgrade their OL may be off the market by then. My thoughts are if the Bills had the cap space to sign Harvin (who I agree is a great talent but yet has to be seen as a luxury addition) then they have to find the cap space to bring in a player like Mathis. As late as April, Ryan was speaking of his concern for the OL. He's been in coaching long enough to know as Bill Parcells once said "Potential can get a coach fired'. You need someone proven on the OL that you know can deliver this year, and not have growing pains.

I believe Mathis was a gift that was dropped out of the sky at a time when Santa has his sleigh parked for the summer. The Bills had (and still have) a glaring need at guard, and for a team that needs to win now and make the playoffs, there can be nothing perceived as negative by adding him to our roster.

Will it take away from Miller's reps and learning the system? Possibly. But if in the end Mathis outplays Miller regardless of how many reps Miller gets that's the whole point of why we added him.

Granted, Buffalo is trying to get Dareus signed, but they can franchise him worse case scenario. You have a lineman (Williams) that's on the books for about $2.5 mil that is sitting at home not participating (injury or no injury) and a huge cap number with Mario that can be turned into signing bonus to save some $$ there. Add that to the $7 plus mill we have to play with and room can be made.

The Bills need to solidify their OL with dependable players who can be counted on at a position where we are putting all of our eggs in one basket & will be the catalyst of our offense game plan (the running game).

I don't look at Mathis as a luxury. I look at a Pro Bowl offensive guard on a front 5 that is young and inexperienced as a necessity.