The press speculates on EJ's future

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe Buscaglia took his speculation to the next level Friday on Rochester radio. He said this season's team is Cassel's to lose, adding he doesn't think Taylor can win the starting job unless Cassel is abysmal in camp. He went on to say he believes EJ has an uphill battle in front of him not to become the starter bust just to make the 53-man roster. He specially said he can foresee EJ getting cut. I know cutting EJ costs the Bills more than if they just kept him on the roster. I'd think a trade or finding a way to put EJ on IR would be ideal if they really don't want him to have a roster spot. I have to believe this speculation is way too early even for reporters on the Bills beat.

Joe Buscaglia took his speculation to the next level Friday on Rochester radio. He said this season's team is Cassel's to lose, adding he doesn't think Taylor can win the starting job unless Cassel is abysmal in camp. He went on to say he believes EJ has an uphill battle in front of him not to become the starter bust just to make the 53-man roster. He specially said he can foresee EJ getting cut. I know cutting EJ costs the Bills more than if they just kept him on the roster. I'd think a trade or finding a way to put EJ on IR would be ideal if they really don't want him to have a roster spot. I have to believe this speculation is way too early even for reporters on the Bills beat.

Its not too early when its a numbers game like this. Up until this point I hadn't really contemplated EJ not even being here in 2015. But after reading VC's comments it made a lot of sense. If gabbert netted a 6th, I don't see why EJ can't at least get a 7th, saving them the sal cap hit ...which worse case seems manageable anyway Edited by JTSP

Not that I'm on the side of cutting Manuel or anything, I myself don't think it would make any sense, but it looks as if Vic Carucci did say "either way".

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/05/15/mailbag-by-vic-caruccimanuel-will-have-chance-to-start-opener/

Sorry JTSP, looks like you were right the first time with what Carucci said at least. The NFL.com article was a little sketchy on the details.

Thanks, I do appreciate the article with the link to what Carucci originally said rather than to one journalist quoting another journalist (I repeat, sure sign of a lazy journalistic time)

I don't agree with Carucci's arguments - for example, if Cassel starts, I would think it would depend upon who looks better as a potential backup, Tyrod or Manuel? If Manuel > Tyrod, why would they cut Manuel, especially at the cost of a $3M cap hit this year? If Tyrod > Manuel in preseason, I would also still think they would want to see if that's true when the score counts on Sunday. Tuel looked better in preseason than he did when put into a reg. season game. Tyrod was a mixed bag, overall "meh" in the one regular season game he played.

Carucci is entitled to his opinion - he may be right, then again he may be wrong.

This on the other hand, is a pretty good X's and O's analysis of some of the plays where Manuel was dumping off instead of throwing downfield that may have lead to his benching. And I imagine the coaches will be carefully analyzing the all-22 film of all the QB to see if there is improvement in recognizing the open receivers and throwing downfield, and if Manuel is consistently missing open men that Cassel and Taylor are miles ahead in recognizing and trying to exploit, the Bills just might go with two QB on the roster and a $3M cap hit.

Edited by Hopeful

Unlike you, I don't look to come across as a coach or some expert in the know. You're not, btw.

To your points,

1) you say ta-mah-toe.. I say adequate at best, which is significantly less than decent.

2) I'll have to look into this -as I'm surely not going to take your word for it. But, coach, we did it with Fitz and I'm sure a few others which cost us dead $$ and I don't recall you wailing about it..

3) if you read my post, I advocated picking up another competent vet after showing Manuel the door.

Carry on, perfect one.

Love seeing a moderator resort to insults in an otherwise civil discussion.

Work on that for the good of the board.

Go ahead and point to where I've claimed to be a coach, or to be perfect, or to be anything other than a person with an opinion. Furthermore, it's ironic that you--who are absolutely certain of EJ's inability--accuse others of being overly assured in their points.

To your last point, what competent vet should the team pick up at this point, or at any point between now and Week 1?

heard it all now in regards to point #3 he has "appreciable experience in the NFL."i thought he only had 14 starts and some even claim he is still a rookie. Which is it?

Please.

You're smart enough to know exactly what I mean.

He's started multiple games in multiple seasons. One of two QBs on the roster who's done so.

No, the book on his career isn't fully written. He's got one last chance to make it. Is it likely he pulls through? No. Is it possible? Sure.

That's been my stance since the Houston game.

My guess is that EJ backs up Cassel, or Cassel backs up EJ. Either way, EJ makes the team. And I think EJ, whatever his role, will be at least somewhat better than what we saw of him at the beginning of the 2014 season.

Given Taylor's athleticism, Rex's love for athletic QBs, and David Lee's history with the wildcat, I see TT making the final roster as well as a change-of-pace guy.

:lol::lol::lol: yea for wildcat

Maybe the wildcat. Or maybe they see TT in some kind of slash role.

There was some speculation coming out of college that Taylor might move to RB or WR. So maybe the Bills run some plays with EJ and TT on the field at the same time????

Edited by hondo in seattle

My guess is that EJ backs up Cassel, or Cassel backs up EJ. Either way, EJ makes the team. And I think EJ, whatever his role, will be at least somewhat better than what we saw of him at the beginning of the 2014 season.

Given Taylor's athleticism, Rex's love for athletic QBs, and David Lee's history with the wildcat, I see TT making the final roster as well as a change-of-pace guy.

There was some speculation coming out of college that Taylor might move to RB or WR. So maybe the Bills run some plays with EJ and TT on the field at the same time????

If true that would be one screwy, mixed up offense. Variety is good, but this would be too much IMO. They already have woods/ Watkins/harvin/clay/shady/Goodwin/hogan/Fred, etc ...and shored up interior line in fa and draft. That's plenty of talent, let the guys play!

Tyrod is probably the least well known of the 3 guys in the discussion, and therefore, offers the most potential upside.

I'll be very anxious for him to get some playing time in the pre-season games just to see what he looks like on the field and what he can do.

He could end up being our best option. Too early to say.

What signs? Off-season rookie workouts? Does he have the prettiest feet of all the QBs available to Rex?

He sucks because he wasn't drafted high and was a backup for four years. The Bills missed their chance to draft a QB in the 4th round and have him develop as a backup for at least 4 years.

I read Carrucci's article in the Saturday Buff News on this topic. He really was (not loose) wrong with the facts about Cassel in Minnesota. He stated the Vikes brought him in to be a backup, I think. Well, Cassel started the first three games....and broke his ankle in the third game. After that, he was a mentor to Teddy Bridgewater. (the Vikes media was very respectful to Cassel for doing it that well) So,; that does not constitute the facts as represented by Vic. Anyhow, I am a doubter about EJ Manuel....as a season ticket holder, I have seen the really bad downfield throws for the games he played. EJ has a strong inaccurate arm, and will only survive in a dink/dunk pasing game....no long threat to speak of. And, the receivers know it with overt signs of frsutration when EJ p;layed early last year. He missed them time and time again downfield at 15 or 20 yards. No need to have the stud receivers on this team with EJ's lack of accuracy. Orton was fair accuracy wise, and if Cassel is comparable, he will/should start imho. As for EJ's fate, I don't think that he makes it in Buffalo....I like the man, just that he isn't an NFL QB.

Tyrod was never ever going to move to RB or WR. That was media pidgeon-hole'ing him cuz he's fast. Dude's never played anything but QB since he's 5.

Edited by moshermw

Unlike you, I don't look to come across as a coach or some expert in the know. You're not, btw.

To your points,

1) you say ta-mah-toe.. I say adequate at best, which is significantly less than decent.

2) I'll have to look into this -as I'm surely not going to take your word for it. But, coach, we did it with Fitz and I'm sure a few others which cost us dead $$ and I don't recall you wailing about it..

3) if you read my post, I advocated picking up another competent vet after showing Manuel the door.

Carry on, perfect one.

Having a rough weekend?

Jets 53 last august had 2 QBs. If bills want to cut ties with EJ this would be the time to do it unless he's the starter

rex didnt have control of the 53 with the Jets and he doesn't here either, so I don't think that's too relevant in predicting what the Bills will do

Ta-mah-toe, to-may-toe. Same thing.

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/adequate

It's a fruit... but it's a vegatable! It's magic!!!

rex didnt have control of the 53 with the Jets and he doesn't here either, so I don't think that's too relevant in predicting what the Bills will do

I just hope he doesn't have too much influence. I'm still in prove it mode with Rex. He's great at what he's good at, but.... (fingers crossed).

The signs keep pointing toward Tyrod being the starter.

He is better than he has been getting credit for around here

I think this is what everyone is hoping for. Tyrod's NFL ability hasn't been tested yet, but he's been hyped up as a better version of Vick. EJ and Cassel may have actual NFL experience, but none of it is very consistent. You've gotta hope that the unknown is better than what we know.

He sucks because he wasn't drafted high and was a backup for four years. The Bills missed their chance to draft a QB in the 4th round and have him develop as a backup for at least 4 years.

This is a smart post. Although you are not the first one to mention this with respect to the QB position- I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone say the same thing about our offensive line. Everyone was clamoring for us to take an offensive lineman but it seems like everyone forgets that we drafted three of them last year. And not to mention, all three were seen as excellent value picks at the time. It takes those guys a year or two to develop as well. Kouandjio and Richardson certainly have shorter leashes 'round these parts than one Edward Joseph Manuel, that's for sure.

I think this is what everyone is hoping for. Tyrod's NFL ability hasn't been tested yet, but he's been hyped up as a better version of Vick. EJ and Cassel may have actual NFL experience, but none of it is very consistent. You've gotta hope that the unknown is better than what we know.

Ha not sure about that. Virtually everyone describes him as somewhat of a poor man's Vick. Maybe better than the 2015 version of Vick. But I too am pulling for Taylor to win the job. While I just ant good QB play regardless, I think I would be most excited if he won it.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

The odds that EJ becomes a quality starter here in Buffalo are not good, however those odds aren't zero. That gamble is certainly worth a late round pick at this point. Unless the coaching staff just wants him out of here for some reason it makes no sense to trade him now. This article seems more like a favor to Kelly than actual thought on the part of Carucci.

Guys.

Do we really believe that the team is just going to cut him, taking a $3M cap hit to do so?

They'd be categorically stupid if they did.

I thought it was just that there is no cap savings if we cut Manuel but also there is no negative cost either. Basically, EJs $3 mil is on the cap whether he is here or not.

Logically, if Cassel is at worst the #2 QB, that leaves the number one job down to Taylor or Manuel. Neither of those guys will be the number 3 guy and I would suspect we don't keep 3 QB. We don't have a development guy. EJ and Tyrod are practically the same age. If both of those guys falter, Cassel will start and Taylor will be the #2, as they actually have more invested in him moving forward.

Manuel is a sunk cost. They've already paid it. If he fails to impress, he will be gone.

I thought it was just that there is no cap savings if we cut Manuel but also there is no negative cost either. Basically, EJs $3 mil is on the cap whether he is here or not.

Logically, if Cassel is at worst the #2 QB, that leaves the number one job down to Taylor or Manuel. Neither of those guys will be the number 3 guy and I would suspect we don't keep 3 QB. We don't have a development guy. EJ and Tyrod are practically the same age. If both of those guys falter, Cassel will start and Taylor will be the #2, as they actually have more invested in him moving forward.

Manuel is a sunk cost. They've already paid it. If he fails to impress, he will be gone.

EJs fully guaranteed. So if we cut him the cap hit is 5.2m this year (creative accounting can push some). If he is kept its 2.4 and 2.8m for the 2 years.