Bears Cut Ray McDonald after Arrest on DV Charges

He was on contract w/no signing bonus. No need to do anything else by Bears or NFL front office.

What WILL happen one day is a player will be cut for false charges and a very high priced laywer will sue the NFL and teams for all he can.

Sue on what grounds? the NFL is a privilege not a right. Someone will sue because an NFL team doesn't want to be associated with someone who was investigated and charged with a crime? That won't go very far.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was on contract w/no signing bonus. No need to do anything else by Bears or NFL front office.

What WILL happen one day is a player will be cut for false charges and a very high priced laywer will sue the NFL and teams for all he can.

NFL contracts are not guaranteed (outside of the guaranteed money). Therefore they can cut a player for no reason at all if they want. Peyton Manning was released a couple of years ago.

Awesome. Good on them for getting rid of someone they just acquired.

I hope other teams follow suit...doesn't matter who you are, if you screw up, you should be gone.

(This is a good football player, who signed a good contract if I recall correctly.)

EDIT: Screw up in certain ways, I should say...smoking weed could be considered "screwing up," but that's not where I'm going with this.

It's an interesting case in some ways. McDonald was arrested but not charged for assaulting his pregnant then-fiancee' at his 30th birthday party "insufficient evidence" (amoung other things the woman apparently refused to cooperate with the investigation). The 49ers declined to take action until the legal process played out and the league also let it slide, but I expect McDonald got the "chalk talk" where it was laid out for him "you get the benefit of the doubt on this one, bub, but let's not see your name on the police blotter for this kind of thing again". So in December when a different woman made an accusation of sexual assault, the 49ers got out the scissors.

The Bears signed him, but apparently it was with the same caveat: "keep your nose clean, or you're gone". He didn't and he is.

It's an interesting question raised by Koolaid regarding a player someday suing the league. If the league disciplines a player, perhaps. But in this sort of case, I don't know that there are grounds.

As far as I can tell, the teams have the power to control their 53-man rosters. They don't have to give a reason for cutting a player. "He didn't fit with our plans going forward" "The club decided to go in a different direction" is all that is needed. In this case "expectations were laid out for his remaining a Bear, and McDonald didn't meet them" So would that really be grounds for a lawsuit?

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see how. Employment in many states, including Illinois, is "at will", meaning the employer may terminate the relationship at any time without having to give "just cause", unless a contract specifically states to the contrary. The Bears gave a reason ("didn't meet the expectations we clearly laid out") but they didn't have to.

Edited by Hopeful

<script language='javascript'> </script>

If charges are false then he should have no problem getting another contract.

I know he has a history of past charges, but have they released any info at all on this most recent one? It seems like nobody took even a second to see if this accusation has any merit. Not the Bears, and certainly not NFL fans around the league or in this thread.

Ray McDonald may have a domestic violence problem, but he can also just as easily be a magnet for these kinds of accusations from women looking for a payday. It's important to at least wait for information to get out before passing judgement. This world isn't black and white.

I know he has a history of past charges, but have they released any info at all on this most recent one? It seems like nobody took even a second to see if this accusation has any merit. Not the Bears, and certainly not NFL fans around the league or in this thread.

Ray McDonald may have a domestic violence problem, but he can also just as easily be a magnet for these kinds of accusations from women looking for a payday. It's important to at least wait for information to get out before passing judgement. This world isn't black and white.

The point here, at least from the team's view (I think), is that McDonald is still responsible for putting himself in the situation to be accused. Why is he at the apartment of the woman that previously accused him of domestic violence, in the wee hours of the morning, for any reason at all?

He's got to be smarter than that, and there's no excuse.

I remember reading in Kurt Warner's book that he takes insane (my word, not his) precautions against this type of thing. He won't put his arm around anyone in a photo session. He refuses to be in any enclosed area with any individual person unless there's a reliable witness present. I know it's not convenient, but if you're worried about being falsely accused (which McDonald claims he was), then these are the lengths you can go to in order to ensure it doesn't happen.

Know what I mean?

"Easily"? Can you list the other players in the NFL who are "magnets" for extortionist domestic abuse cases?

"Easily"? Can you list the other players in the NFL who are "magnets" for extortionist domestic abuse cases?

Dante Cunningham. NBA, but whatever.

Kobe Bryant, arguably.

The point here, at least from the team's view (I think), is that McDonald is still responsible for putting himself in the situation to be accused. Why is he at the apartment of the woman that previously accused him of domestic violence, in the wee hours of the morning, for any reason at all?

He's got to be smarter than that, and there's no excuse.

I remember reading in Kurt Warner's book that he takes insane (my word, not his) precautions against this type of thing. He won't put his arm around anyone in a photo session. He refuses to be in any enclosed area with any individual person unless there's a reliable witness present. I know it's not convenient, but if you're worried about being falsely accused (which McDonald claims he was), then these are the lengths you can go to in order to ensure it doesn't happen.

Know what I mean?

I understand that from an NFL multi-billion dollar employer concerned about PR point of view, and yes it's dumb to keep putting yourself in those situations. But to me, as a regular joe-shmo, I would just like to get the full story before passing judgement on the man.

Edited by musichunch

Dante Cunningham. NBA, but whatever.

Kobe Bryant, arguably.

I understand that from an NFL multi-billion dollar employer concerned about PR point of view, and yes it's dumb to keep putting yourself in those situations. But to me, as a regular joe-shmo, I would just like to get the full story before passing judgement on the man.

Sure, that's fair. I just think that where there's smoke, there's generally fire.

to be fair, it was probably a lot less prosperous when the league wasnt doling out suspensions that are potentially 7 (or 8!) figure fines without enough evidence for a conviction.

not that im thinking its the case here, but that is a new variable in the recent past.

I respect your personal viewpoint and desire for the full story.

However, if the Bears (as they have said) signed him with a clear caveat, "wanna stay a Bear? stay out of these situations, keep your nose clean", doesn't simply putting himself in that situation of being with the woman who 2x previously was involved in a DV accusation, in the wee hours, violate the "stay out of these situations, keep your nose clean" terms of employment?

Sure, that's fair. I just think that where there's smoke, there's generally fire.

which, if, someone wanted to be a real jerk and set a player up -- would probably be a huge "pro" when contemplating if they should choose a guy like RM.

again, not arguing its what happened, simply that hes likely both an idiot that did this, but also a potentially extra prone target for extracurricular drama.

im sure we will get more of the story soon enough (and again, not saying i doubt this as i slide down the same slope, just mentioning the slippery slope potential with "hes been accused before so its probably true)

However, if the Bears (as they have said) signed him with a clear caveat, "wanna stay a Bear? stay out of these situations, keep your nose clean", doesn't simply putting himself in that situation of being with the woman who 2x previously was involved in a DV accusation, in the wee hours, violate the "stay out of these situations, keep your nose clean" terms of employment?

no doubt -- and at this point for them its not a moral stand, its a PR one, unless they know more than we do. and its perfectly fine for them to err on the side of caution and avoid the PR issues if thats the case. Edited by NoSaint

Again, I understand. But I'm not his employer. And at the end of the day, the truth is more important than caveats and contracts. At least in my opinion. Perhaps he's a serial wife-beater, but I just really don't like this rush for judgement before literally any details have come out.

which, if, someone wanted to be a real jerk and set a player up -- would probably be a huge "pro" when contemplating if they should choose a guy like RM.

again, not arguing its what happened, simply that hes likely both an idiot that did this, but also a potentially extra prone target for extracurricular drama.

im sure we will get more of the story soon enough (and again, not saying i doubt this as i slide down the same slope, just mentioning the slippery slope potential with "hes been accused before so its probably true)

You're correct--it's definitely a slippery slope. I really try not to automatically convict in the court of public opinion. This particular situation is quite difficult for me in that regard.

to be fair, it was probably a lot less prosperous when the league wasnt doling out suspensions that are potentially 7 (or 8!) figure fines without enough evidence for a conviction.

not that im thinking its the case here, but that is a new variable in the recent past.

Wouldn't that actually make it harder? I mean, I think it's far-fetched to think that sports stars are "magnets" for this - magnets for groupies lobbying for the traditional jewelry and valuata, sure. But previously, when a conviction was needed to cause an impact, I could (theoretically) see a sequence by alleged extortionist chick:

1) provoke DV altercation

2) call 911/go to hospital to report assault

3) file charges that can't be sustained without your testimony

4) make it clear to his lawyer that you'll disappear and take your testimony with you if you get paid

5) get paid and disappear

Now that teams fearing bad PR/suspension of key players during a playoff run, are primed to kick players to the curb without evidence to convict, steps 1-3) risk losing the paycheck the (alleged) extortionist chick is (allegedly) trying to collect, so wouldn't it actually be harder, not easier?