Bears Cut Ray McDonald after Arrest on DV Charges

I think my issue, here, is that no one has proven that he's done anything wrong. Nor has anyone shown or proven that he's not living up to any standard/conducting himself responsibly ...

For all we know (and seriously ... none of us knows crap), she called him on the phone, crying frantically that the baby wasn't breathing and he needed to get there asap. And when he got there, she could have said, "ha. gotcha. police are being called now."

OR ... he went there to beat the daylights out of her, but changed his mind and left.

Point being ... no one knows yet, and calling for any punishment, banning, etc. is premature.

Thanks for explaining your issue. My response would be, McDonald got a free pass for the first two incidents - a 911 call May 2014 about a domestic dispute involving a gun (no arrest), and then a DV call in August where the police determined probable cause for assault (of his pregnant fiancee) and arrested him, but no charges were filed. I'd bet very good money that McDonald got called in and got a talking to, "change your ways, the 49ers and the league don't need this kind of PR, one more incident and you're gone". The Bears have explictly said he was offered a contract on that condition.

So under that perception, the 49ers and then the Bears aren't dumping him for a crime where innocent/guilty/wrongdoing matters, they're dumping him for putting himself in similar poor situations after being given a free pass on 2 such (3 such for the Bears). He, of his own free will, chose to put himself in those poor situations after being told one more and you're gone.

I think it's worth pointing out that in the cases where there were arrests, police officers arrived, took statements from witnesses, looked at the scene, and decided there was probable cause for arrest and (in two cases) tracked McDonald down. Whatever one thinks of police, they uniformly loathe DV calls and have no desire to mess with wealthy people for ***** and giggles; one has to believe that every responding officer was a yahoo who was nose-led by a manipulative young woman not to believe that there was, in fact, some probable cause for arrest, albeit not necessarily one that met the legal standard of "beyond a reasonable doubt"

It's very touching to hypothesize a frantic young woman calling her BabyDaddy about the baby not breathing, but in that case a guy with two neurons to rub together would say "hang up, call 911, and I'll meet you at the hospital ER". Likewise if there's a call "I have a problem I gotta discuss with you right now". "OK, I'll meet you at Denny's" If nothing else, a call to his agent should bring about a sensible course of action.

I'm actually extremely impressed by the lengths people will go to create improbable scenarios where this poooooooor guy is just an innocent victim of circumstance.

So then, what has he done that's detrimental to the league?

Brought negative PR to the entertainment industry (eg league) 4x.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for explaining your issue. My response would be, McDonald got a free pass for the first two incidents - a 911 call May 2014 about a domestic dispute involving a gun (no arrest), and then a DV call in August where the police determined probable cause for assault (of his pregnant fiancee) and arrested him, but no charges were filed. I'd bet very good money that McDonald got called in and got a talking to, "change your ways, the 49ers and the league don't need this kind of PR, one more incident and you're gone". The Bears have explictly said he was offered a contract on that condition.

So under that perception, the 49ers and then the Bears aren't dumping him for a crime where innocent/guilty/wrongdoing matters, they're dumping him for putting himself in similar poor situations after being given a free pass on 2 such (3 such for the Bears). He, of his own free will, chose to put himself in those poor situations after being told one more and you're gone.

I think it's worth pointing out that in the cases where there were arrests, police officers arrived, took statements from witnesses, looked at the scene, and decided there was probable cause for arrest and (in two cases) tracked McDonald down. Whatever one thinks of police, they uniformly loathe DV calls and have no desire to mess with wealthy people for ***** and giggles; one has to believe that every responding officer was a yahoo who was nose-led by a manipulative young woman not to believe that there was, in fact, some probable cause for arrest, albeit not necessarily one that met the legal standard of "beyond a reasonable doubt"

It's very touching to hypothesize a frantic young woman calling her BabyDaddy about the baby not breathing, but in that case a guy with two neurons to rub together would say "hang up, call 911, and I'll meet you at the hospital ER". Likewise if there's a call "I have a problem I gotta discuss with you right now". "OK, I'll meet you at Denny's" If nothing else, a call to his agent should bring about a sensible course of action.

I'm actually extremely impressed by the lengths people will go to create improbable scenarios where this poooooooor guy is just an innocent victim of circumstance.

i might be misinterpreting gugny here, but i dont think hes as much against the bears saying "i dont want to deal with this" as the fans screaming "ban him from the league, suspend him for eternity" and the possibility of the nfl acting without any convictions.

and while i think you are right that as the incidents build, its less and less likely that mcdonald is a victim here (heck, at the very least hed have to be the worlds biggest idiot) -- DV is a very messy area where you get all kinds of weird reports, policies regarding mandatory arrests once calls are made, etc..... sure ill say hes very likely a scumbug, but im not in a big race to condemn him with 100% certainty given how little we know, and what a tough field its in.

Edited by NoSaint

Brought negative PR to the entertainment industry (eg league) 4x.

Truth be told, I think he's a woman beater. I don't think he "needs help." I think he's just a scumbag who hits women.

But that's not the point I've been trying to make. My point is that an accusation should not affect one's livelihood. And until the facts are revealed, that's all there is right now. An accusation.