Bears Cut Ray McDonald after Arrest on DV Charges

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like this might not be as simple as it seems. Apparently the woman in question is his ex-fiance, they have a child together, and [i think] she's the same one who accused him of DV the last time.

This isn't new info...

It is to some people. Unless, of course, people have really strong opinions about things they know very little about. Actually, come to think of it, the latter sounds likely.

It must be news to you and that musichunch guy. It was reported 3 days ago. Then again tuesday when the 911 dispatch info was released.

All I see here is a guy who's been accused of doing something wrong.

I can't blame the Bears for cutting him. Whether he did it, or not, he's obviously in a relationship that's going to result in stress that the Bears don't need.

I think calls to ban him - as well as calls for him to "get the help he needs" - are very premature.

He might be a decent guy who is in a relationship with a serious B word who wants to ruin his life by making these accusations.

He might be a scumbag woman beater.

Which one he is, of those two possibilities - should be determined before his long-term future in the NFL (aka his livelihood) is decided.

All I see here is a guy who's been accused of doing something wrong.

I can't blame the Bears for cutting him. Whether he did it, or not, he's obviously in a relationship that's going to result in stress that the Bears don't need.

I think calls to ban him - as well as calls for him to "get the help he needs" - are very premature.

He might be a decent guy who is in a relationship with a serious B word who wants to ruin his life by making these accusations.

He might be a scumbag woman beater.

Which one he is, of those two possibilities - should be determined before his long-term future in the NFL (aka his livelihood) is decided.

He's now been cut by two teams over these arrests. He is free to join any team that will take him. Or he can earn a livelihood not playing a game for a living, like the rest of us.

Roethlisberger.

Actually wouldn't Big Ben be a success story? He did his Roethlisrapist schtick, he got a 6 game Ban Hammer and a "talking to" from the team that he needed to change his pattern of behavior back in 2010. Roughly a year later he did this http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/24/ben-roethlisberger-ashley-harlan-wedding-photos_n_908013.htmland as far as I (and Google) know, hasn't been tagged for any bad behavior since.

So evidently he successfully de-magnetized himself by changing his associates and taking up with a different type of woman.

Edited by Hopeful

Actually wouldn't Big Ben be a success story? He did his Roethlisrapist schtick, he got a 6 game Ban Hammer and a "talking to" from the team that he needed to change his pattern of behavior back in 2010. Roughly a year later he did this http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/24/ben-roethlisberger-ashley-harlan-wedding-photos_n_908013.htmland as far as I (and Google) know, hasn't been tagged for any bad behavior since.

So evidently he successfully de-magnetized himself by changing his associates and taking up with a different type of woman.

Yes, I agree with this 100%. Perhaps I misunderstood the original question.

He's now been cut by two teams over these arrests. He is free to join any team that will take him. Or he can earn a livelihood not playing a game for a living, like the rest of us.

My point is that he shouldn't be forced, via an NFL ban, to earn a livelihood not playing a game unless he's actually convicted of doing something wrong.

It's a pretty scary and sad state of affairs if accusations can lead to being banned.

My point is that he shouldn't be forced, via an NFL ban, to earn a livelihood not playing a game unless he's actually convicted of doing something wrong.

It's a pretty scary and sad state of affairs if accusations can lead to being banned.

As I said earlier, playing in the NFL isn't a right. He doesn't want to follow a personal conduct policy he loses his chance to play in the NFL. It's not sad to me in the least. He is a representative of the league and the team that offered him a contract. If the team feels he's projecting a negative image, that reflects on the team and they have every right to cut him. Still want to play in the NFL? Get the help you need and stay. Keep making stupid mistakes and this is the cost.

As I said earlier, playing in the NFL isn't a right. He doesn't want to follow a personal conduct policy he loses his chance to play in the NFL. It's not sad to me in the least. He is a representative of the league and the team that offered him a contract. If the team feels he's projecting a negative image, that reflects on the team and they have every right to cut him. Still want to play in the NFL? Get the help you need and stay. Keep making stupid mistakes and this is the cost.

Why do you say he needs help? How has he not followed the personal conduct policy? By being accused of something?

What if the solution is cutting ties with the person who keeps accusing him and getting a restraining order against her?

What if you got accused of a crime and your employer fired you because of it - even though you denied doing it and haven't been convicted? Your employer has the right to cut you whenever they want, too.

It's terribly sad when accusations dictate one's future.

He is not at risk of being banned as far as I know. Who was the last guy banned from the NFL anyway? Dexter Manley 25 years ago. Even Rice's "ban" was temporary.

So, no, accusations can't lead to being banned. No need to find any of this scary. All he has to do is leave that woman alone for crying out loud. He may be too stupid to play in the NFL--shouldn't that keep him out?

Why do you say he needs help? How has he not followed the personal conduct policy? By being accused of something?

What if the solution is cutting ties with the person who keeps accusing him and getting a restraining order against her?

What if you got accused of a crime and your employer fired you because of it - even though you denied doing it and haven't been convicted? Your employer has the right to cut you whenever they want, too.

It's terribly sad when accusations dictate one's future.

That's the long and short of it right there. Not a shred of evidence has been made available to the public, but based on nothing more than accusations many here and elsewhere have already declared him guilty and are calling for penalties.

And THEY claim the moral high ground without so much as a hint of irony.

He is not at risk of being banned as far as I know. Who was the last guy banned from the NFL anyway? Dexter Manley 25 years ago. Even Rice's "ban" was temporary.

So, no, accusations can't lead to being banned. No need to find any of this scary. All he has to do is leave that woman alone for crying out loud. He may be too stupid to play in the NFL--shouldn't that keep him out?

They have a kid together. If he's a decent human being he can't just leave that woman alone.

I think that's accurate ... and McDonald better thank God no one on TBD has a say ... which was my point. I wasn't trying to say that he could be banned. I was trying to say that it's sad that people want him banned based on accusations, alone.

That's the long and short of it right there. Not a shred of evidence has been made available to the public, but based on nothing more than accusations many here and elsewhere have already declared him guilty and are calling for penalties.

And THEY claim the moral high ground without so much as a hint of irony.

They have a kid together. If he's a decent human being he can't just leave that woman alone.

Well, there is this shred (911):

"She said she received a call from her daughter . . . advising that her boyfriend Ray McDonald was being violent,” a dispatcher said on a call relaying the call from McDonald’s ex-fiancée’s mother. “She tried to lock herself in her bedroom but he broke the door down . . . Ex is trying to leave now with her infant"

And this:

"Police showed up to the ex-fiancée’s apartment, but by that point she and the baby were safe, and McDonald had left. Police determined that the woman had been assaulted, and they found McDonald at a San Jose home registered to his former 49ers teammate Justin Smith".

I'm not sure what you mean when you claim there is not a shred of evidence made public.

If a man beats his child's mother, it's the decent thing to do to stay with her?

I think that's accurate ... and McDonald better thank God no one on TBD has a say ... which was my point. I wasn't trying to say that he could be banned. I was trying to say that it's sad that people want him banned based on accusations, alone.

It must be tough being a magnet for these accusations...

Well, there is this shred (911):

"She said she received a call from her daughter . . . advising that her boyfriend Ray McDonald was being violent, a dispatcher said on a call relaying the call from McDonalds ex-fiancées mother. She tried to lock herself in her bedroom but he broke the door down . . . Ex is trying to leave now with her infant"

And this:

"Police showed up to the ex-fiancées apartment, but by that point she and the baby were safe, and McDonald had left. Police determined that the woman had been assaulted, and they found McDonald at a San Jose home registered to his former 49ers teammate Justin Smith".

I'm not sure what you mean when you claim there is not a shred of evidence made public.

If a man beats his child's mother, it's the decent thing to do to stay with her?

It must be tough being a magnet for these accusations...

So the evidence is that he broke down a door and was "being violent," whatever that means. But in WEO World he beat her.

You sound like a prosecutor. You don't have a whole lot of facts, don't know his side of the story, but you're 100% confident that you know he's guilty and what the punishment should be. And you probably think your presumptuous judgment makes you a swell guy.

Has he been arrested yet today? He tried but is so far off of Titus Young's record of getting arrested twice in 15 hours.

I was very curious about that when it was ongoing.... had to google since you brought it up. looks like he was just this month sentenced to a year in jail (time served) the next year in a halfway house and 3 years probation.....

Though this quote from his lawyer killed me:

"I know first hand how hard Titus is working on his recovery and that he is making tremendous strides. He wants to be an inspiration to the legions of young men who have -- and will surely continue -- to battle concussion-related mental issues because of football. He is energized and excited by this second chance."

Of course false accusations happen--and it is possible that it occured here.

So the evidence is that he broke down a door and was "being violent," whatever that means. But in WEO World he beat her.

You sound like a prosecutor. You don't have a whole lot of facts, don't know his side of the story, but you're 100% confident that you know he's guilty and what the punishment should be. And you probably think your presumptuous judgment makes you a swell guy.

As you can see, you are wrong again. I have already acknowledged that she could be making it all up. I don't know what the punishment should be--you made that up.

It's not in my world that he beat her, the cops determined that she was assaulted and they arrested him. Go tell them they screwed up. You claimed that there is no publicly known evidence in this case and that's simply false.

My point was that music guy's claim that he is a magnet for false accuations is easy to believe is.....not easy to believe. It is becoming more and more clear that you jumped in on his side without much thought or review and now you are kind of stuck. We shall see...

As you can see, you are wrong again. I have already acknowledged that she could be making it all up. I don't know what the punishment should be--you made that up.

It's not in my world that he beat her, the cops determined that she was assaulted and they arrested him. Go tell them they screwed up. You claimed that there is no publicly known evidence in this case and that's simply false.

My point was that music guy's claim that he is a magnet for false accuations is easy to believe is.....not easy to believe. It is becoming more and more clear that you jumped in on his side without much thought or review and now you are kind of stuck. We shall see...

I did jump in without much review beyond what was in this thread and the link I posted, but I didn't take his side; I just pointed out the willingness of many to jump to conclusions. When I thought this was another woman accusing him the presumption made a little more sense. But knowing it's the same woman changes the equation because the odds of 1 person wrongfully accusing him twice are considerably higher than two separate people wrongfully accusing him.

For all I know he could be an abusive scumbag and she's just trying to raise her child in safety; or he could just be a guy in a bad situation dealing with a crazy B word who has his kid and likes to call the cops; or it could be a case where you've got 2 !@#$s and an innocent kid stuck in the middle. All are plausible, but a lot of people pick the one that fits their narrative and run with it. And it seems to me you settled on the 1st option a long time ago.

Edited by Rob's House

I did jump in without much review beyond what was in this thread and the link I posted, but I didn't take his side; I just pointed out the willingness of many to jump to conclusions. When I thought this was another woman accusing him the presumption made a little more sense. But knowing it's the same woman changes the equation because the odds of 1 person wrongfully accusing him twice are considerably higher than two separate people wrongfully accusing him.

For all I know he could be an abusive scumbag and she's just trying to raise her child in safety; or he could just be a guy in a bad situation dealing with a crazy B word who has his kid and likes to call the cops; or it could be a case where you've got 2 !@#$s and an innocent kid stuck in the middle. All are plausible, but a lot of people pick the one that fits their narrative and run with it. And it seems to me you settled on the 1st option a long time ago.

Nope--I was just pointing out how dumb the other poster sounded.

Also, he wasn't "falsley accused" the first time by this same woman. She refused to cooperate further with the cops after the inital complaint. There are at least several reasons a woman would not continue to press charges. They aren't all due to false claims.