Michael Sam to play football for Montreal in Canada league

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the feeling he's going through some very tough things within his own head. He actually seems very sad to me while trying his best to put on a happy face.

I get the feeling he's going through some very tough things within his own head. He actually seems very sad to me while trying his best to put on a happy face.

It is a tough situation. There's got to be a lot of resentment around him. There's going to be teammates who don't like him just because he's gay. Then there's going to be others who don't have a problem with him being gay but still resent him because they're better than him but no one cares because there's nothing special about straight players who are average at football.

It is a tough situation. There's got to be a lot of resentment around him. There's going to be teammates who don't like him just because he's gay. Then there's going to be others who don't have a problem with him being gay but still resent him because they're better than him but no one cares because there's nothing special about straight players who are average at football.

We dont know what's going on, and may have nothing to do with football and only relate to his troubled family situation. But given some of the commentary, could also be football performance related. It seems like he was having.a hard time even making it past 3rd string on the depth chart. Just because a guy was drafted by NFL, doesn't make him a lock to make cfl rosters, or even if he does to be a starter. He may have bailed for "undisclosed personal reasons", thinking that's better outcome than not making the team, the latter of which pretty much destroys all his credibility as an athlete and the narrative he isn't being given a fair chance in the NFL because of his sexual orientation. Edited by JTSP

just a sad story really.

Love the media for blowing it up as large as possible.

is this why people dont want to come out of wherever they come out from?

i wouldn't. i would stay right in there.

• 2 weeks later...

Take your poorly constructed straw man elsewhere. You've refuted nothing I said and made several presumptions that You've apparently pulled straight from your ass.

You mention people whose opinion differs from mine. What opinion is that? And where did I say everyone who supports equal rights is grandstanding?

If you're going to attack my posts you might want to work in your reading comprehension.

I have no problem with the saying; just seemed a little smug in the context you used it.

+ 1 to Rob on this one

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Sam told Patrick that he "never really want to go into the CFL," and that he "wasn't really getting better as a football player" during his time with the Alouettes.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/michael-sam-nfl-roster_56096188e4b0768126fe3673

Sorry. It's not your orientation. It's whether you can play. Being the guy in college guarantees nothing. Edited by PromoTheRobot

Sorry. It's not your orientation. It's whether you can play. Being the guy in college guarantees nothing.

he may have a point, but being that he's a marginal talent it's hard to pinpoint. His combine #'s and IK's are essentially the same, but IK (also a marginal talent) is on a roster and Sam isn't

While I do think some people would still have an issue with a gay player, no team would deny themselves a game breaking talent because of it. If Sam was as good as say Khalil Mack, no one would pass him by.

I still have questions as to why he left the CFL? If he wants to get back into football what's wrong with playing there? Or was he not going to make it there either?