4 reasons Bills D won't miss a beat without Dareus vs Colts

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://nysportsbiz.com/2015/05/22/4-reasons-buffalos-d-wont-miss-a-beat-without-marcel-dareus-in-season-opener/

Without Marcel it'll hurt either way, but Indy is a passing team and Dareus is best at stuffing the run. There are scarier matchups.

Interesting that they say he's better against the run than the pass, as I've always felt he's THE premier pass-rushing DT in the NFL. He did improve dramatically against the run under Schwartz, which was nice to see. He's still not at Suh's level against the run (which is nothing to be ashamed of IMO), but he's the better pass rusher between the two.

I think No. 4 nailed it though: the reason not to be too worried comes down to depth. Stefan Charles can play, Corbin Bryant can play, and if Alex Carrington is healthy, he'll contribute as well.

http://nysportsbiz.com/2015/05/22/4-reasons-buffalos-d-wont-miss-a-beat-without-marcel-dareus-in-season-opener/

Without Marcel it'll hurt either way, but Indy is a passing team and Dareus is best at stuffing the run. There are scarier matchups.

There's very little question that Dareus is a dominant pass rusher. Personally I'd say he's more effective as a pass rusher than run stuffer. He's arguably been the most dominant interior pass rusher since he's entered the league with 28.5 sacks (His sack numbers have also gone up each of the last 3 years). This includes his rookie year, and time playing NT. Considering Luck is among the best QBs in football, I'd say he'll certainly be missed.

Having said that, I think a Rex Ryan defense could survive a game without him, but it will be tough. Dareus ate constant double teams, meaning it was hard or impossible to double team Williams and Hughes also. Now the Oline can focus more on the outside rush.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

All I know was when dareus was out last year, the run D went from great to terrible.

His absence led me to believe that he is probably the most critical player on the D.

agree he's the lynchpin. But the silver lining is that Rex has a long time to game plan for his absence. In that game, he was lost to injury mid-game. Also, Rex is accustomed to generating a pass rush without depending on the front 4.

agree he's the lynchpin. But the silver lining is that Rex has a long time to game plan for his absence. In that game, he was lost to injury mid-game. Also, Rex is accustomed to generating a pass rush without depending on the front 4.

Rex and Carrington, Charles, etc. can be the key. Not only will Rex have more time to prepare, but the "backup", whoever that is, will have additional time to prepare. Can't wait to be at this game!!

It's silly to think missing one of the top rated defensive players in the league won't potentially cause some problems. It only takes one or 2 plays to make a difference. We are going against an explosive offense. We need everything we have.

All I know was when dareus was out last year, the run D went from great to terrible.

His absence led me to believe that he is probably the most critical player on the D.

Definitely turned the tide in the Raiders game. On the other side though, Bills OL couldn't block Mack and they couldn't move the ball. I feel a little better going up against Colts D, but definitely don't want to get into a shooting match with Luck.

Every time Dareus hasn't been able to play, the opposition runs between the tackles for ridiculous gains. You can be a passing team, but if you can roll up 150+ yards rushing, why wouldn't you?

Dare them to run Frank Gore. He is on fumes at this point.

i won't bury Gore yet, but there is just something wrong with the colts run blocking scheme or OL. How the heck do you not run the ball easily with the threat of that elite passing game? But roman also knows Gore's tendencies better than anyone, which should help.

I appreciate the positive spin the original article is putting on this, but the Bills will CERTAINLY miss a beat (if not several) with their best DL sidelined.

It's not the end of the world, but there will be a noticeable difference.

Thank goodness it's just 1 game.

I appreciate the positive spin the original article is putting on this, but the Bills will CERTAINLY miss a beat (if not several) with their best DL sidelined.

It's not the end of the world, but there will be a noticeable difference.

Thank goodness it's just 1 game.

It was never going to be more than 1 game. And 1 game is stretching it.

It's silly to think missing one of the top rated defensive players in the league won't potentially cause some problems. It only takes one or 2 plays to make a difference. We are going against an explosive offense. We need everything we have.

there are 2 things about the colts that are elite: 1)their passing game 2) vontae Davis. They very much struggle to run the ball and stop the run. They picked up some decent FAs this offseason but base on Grigsons history im not sold yet that he fixed the issues. If I'm the bills, I take a page out of the Belichik game plan from when NE played the colts in the reg season last year. Run the ball down their throats until they show they can stop it, and keep Luck off the field. I don't think their D matches up particularly well with our offense based on what we know at this time.

People want to rationalize his absence like it won't matter that much but it will. The guy is the best player on the team, his absence is huge. You just hope they can overcome it.