Tannehill extended through 2020

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha tannehill sucks, we have nobody but tannehill has played enough to show that he'll probably never be elite while the guy we have who has completely sucked and been benched as a result might have this magical upside that we haven't quite ruled out yet because we haven't seen enough of him. Even though tannehill just started playing the position of quarterback a few years ago. Our guy can go from suck to good but their guy is what he is. Joke's on the dolphins, ha ha ha, blah blah blah... EDIT: It's exactly like a situation in which the guy you think is a complete douchebag at the gym is bangin an average looking chick (but she is an actual chick) and you talk s**t about him and his girl to make you feel better about yourself, when meanwhile, you haven't gotten laid since 1999.

This post does nothing. No reasonable poster is saying Tannehill sucks. They are saying he is right now, an average NFL starter. Can he get better and be a top QB? Of course. Personally, I don't see it and I have never worried about facing Tannehill. As others have said, Tannehill was given a chance to get better last year after early struggles. Through 4 games, he completed 93/ 155 (60%), 902 yards, 5.8 ypa, 6 tds, 3 ints, and was 2-2.

EJ was 78/ 131 (58%), 838 yards, 5 tds (and 1 rushing td), 3 ints, and was 2-2. Wow. Tannehill was clearly far superior to EJ, huh?

The point the pro EJ people (why every Bills won't be pro EJ blows my mind) is it's too early to throw him away. I think Tannehill has had 3 offensive minds (Sherman, Philbin, Lazor) that I would prefer to Marrone/ Hackett. Again, if EJ doesn't show improvement under this staff, it's time to turn the page. But the hard on to bury the guy now is just silly.

Also, Tannehill has never been on a team with a winning record. He is at best a 6 right now, and we have a bunch of 4s. I prefer 8 - 10s myself. :)

VS a guy who can't reach half those numbers for a tenth of the price. Yes. In a heartbeat. I'd sign Tanny at that price and not look back.

Perhaps reaping the benefit of having an organization that sticks with you, even if you are stinking it up a fair amount of the time? Something to be said for letting a young QB play through his growing pains....

We should make sure we talk about EJ in this thread.

This post does nothing. No reasonable poster is saying Tannehill sucks. They are saying he is right now, an average NFL starter. Can he get better and be a top QB? Of course. Personally, I don't see it and I have never worried about facing Tannehill. As others have said, Tannehill was given a chance to get better last year after early struggles. Through 4 games, he completed 93/ 155 (60%), 902 yards, 5.8 ypa, 6 tds, 3 ints, and was 2-2.

EJ was 78/ 131 (58%), 838 yards, 5 tds (and 1 rushing td), 3 ints, and was 2-2. Wow. Tannehill was clearly far superior to EJ, huh?

The point the pro EJ people (why every Bills won't be pro EJ blows my mind) is it's too early to throw him away. I think Tannehill has had 3 offensive minds (Sherman, Philbin, Lazor) that I would prefer to Marrone/ Hackett. Again, if EJ doesn't show improvement under this staff, it's time to turn the page. But the hard on to bury the guy now is just silly.

Also, Tannehill has never been on a team with a winning record. He is at best a 6 right now, and we have a bunch of 4s. I prefer 8 - 10s myself. :)

Didn't you have a post that said Buscaglia didn't like EJ because he was geeky in college?

Have the Bills ever had a 4000 yard passer? Once, Bledsoe. Tanny would have had the 2nd best qb season stat wise for a bill. He's not gonna look any better this year getting rid of wallace and clay. See if cameron can stay alive and the kid they drafted can play. I don't think Tanny is elite I think he's like a Joe Flacco lite. He'd be our starter no question and we'd have been in the playoffs last year and for years to come with this roster.

Yes, agreed. That was my whole point.

He's like the AFC East's version of Andy Dalton. But without the winning seasons and playoff berths.

From what I have seen of Tannehill, he is decent at times, but really struggles with the teams in the AFC East. I guess that shouldn't be too surprising as all of those teams have very good defenses. Despite the fact that he plays for the Dolphins, I derive some pleasure in knowing, from his example, that QB's can get better if you give them time to grow.

That said, as a Bills fan, I feel the way about Tannehill the same way I felt about Drew Bledsoe when he was a Patriot...I know he is a better than average QB, but I never worry about him killing us when we play against him.

The Tannehill contract extension is a reflection upon the importance of keeping and developing "your guys" at the QB position if they have shown any signs of development and progress -- which Tannehill has.

Is he elite? No. But I defy any Bills fan to refute that if the Bills could go into 2015 with Tannehill as the starting QB -- with the facts as we know them now, not how we hope them to be -- he would be the clear best option.

Have the Bills ever had a 4000 yard passer? Once, Bledsoe. Tanny would have had the 2nd best qb season stat wise for a bill. He's not gonna look any better this year getting rid of wallace and clay. See if cameron can stay alive and the kid they drafted can play. I don't think Tanny is elite I think he's like a Joe Flacco lite. He'd be our starter no question and we'd have been in the playoffs last year and for years to come with this roster.

4,000 yards is a very overrated stat. Russell Wilson has never passed for 4,000 yards. Jim Kelly never had a 4,000 yard season and Matt Stafford has passed for 5,000 yards. People get hung up numbers.

And why would be in the playoffs with Tannehill? The Bills were hardly that superior to the Fins last year. Can we stop making pronuncements of guys who haven't even had a winning season yet?

The Tannehill contract extension is a reflection upon the importance of keeping and developing "your guys" at the QB position if they have shown any signs of development and progress -- which Tannehill has.

Is he elite? No. But I defy any Bills fan to refute that if the Bills could go into 2015 with Tannehill as the starting QB -- with the facts as we know them now, not how we hope them to be -- he would be the clear best option.

Based on last year, of course he would be. If you compared rookie years, he and EJ were at a very similar place.

I think Tannehill has 3 better offensive coaches than EJ. In my crazy opinion, coaching of young QBs matter. I think Tannehill and EJ are very similar in talent level and want to see EJ with a staff that has proven something besides being in the Big East. JMO.

From what I have seen of Tannehill, he is decent at times, but really struggles with the teams in the AFC East. I guess that shouldn't be too surprising as all of those teams have very good defenses. Despite the fact that he plays for the Dolphins, I derive some pleasure in knowing, from his example, that QB's can get better if you give them time to grow.

That said, as a Bills fan, I feel the way about Tannehill the same way I felt about Drew Bledsoe when he was a Patriot...I know he is a better than average QB, but I never worry about him killing us when we play against him.

Back in his early years with Parcells, I thought Bledsoe was close to a Marino level. He was much better in his prime than Tannehill has been so far.

Back in his early years with Parcells, I thought Bledsoe was close to a Marino level. He was much better in his prime than Tannehill has been so far.

Oh yeah, I agree...Tannehill isn't nearly the QB that Bledsoe was in his prime...though not sure he (Bledsoe) was in the same neighborhood as Marino...he had as much physical talent as Marino, sure, but maybe not the mental edge that Marino had..that is a big part of it.

I just meant that when the Bills played against Drew Bledsoe, I never had the fear that his presence alone, even in his prime, gave them a big edge over the Bills.

Perhaps it is just a sad commentary on the state of the QB position right now... but the biggest perceived edge that the 2015 Dolphins have over the 2015 Bills is the QB position. I would concede, Tannehill is better than any of our QB's...but in the end, I still think we have the better team, and Tannehill, alone, isn't going to make them a better team than us.

So does this mean Miami is a Super Bowl contender? Is their roster that much worse than Buffalo's?

I think it really helped them to get Parker, and Ajayi.

That said, using rookies to fill gaps usually don't get instant results. Their O line needs a lot of help as well. Besides QB, I think we have a more complete team on paper. Maybe that makes them better? I don't think so though. I'm a little biased though I think.

Edited by What a Tuel

So does this mean Miami is a Super Bowl contender? Is their roster that much worse than Buffalo's?

I'd give them the edge for the division this year but won't go with sb contenders. They have a lot of new players...cameron, stills, jennings, suh...then a new rookie wr. I'd say give them a year but wouldn't be surprised for them to take the division. They are light at rb depth as well.