Tannehill extended through 2020

I doubt that. Tannehill has been a "decent" starter for them since his rookie year. EJ doesnt have 16 games under his belt going into year 3. Even if he did play well this year, he wouldnt command that much. It wouldnt be peanuts, but it wouldnt be $16mil/year either. At least I hope not.

if hes the guy we want to keep, we would need to do a big deal per year, but with outs available along the way if it doesnt keep up. just nature of the qb contract beast these days.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

like i joked, jp losman was in that area when he started 16 games.

tannehill is good. id take him over our guys easy. and several others in the league. but id also have some reservations about whether he would get over that hump and be more productive on a per snap basis.

Saint....

So would I....but would you take him knowing that you wouldnt be able to afford the pieces of our top 5 defense.....Clay....Harvin....etc etc

Maybe you're right. I just assumed it would be a big contract because that's the trend lately. If they think he might be the guy, they pay him like he is.

For sure, Im just guessing as well. If he did come around and start playing well, and they did want to ink him to decent money, maybe the contract gets structured like Kaep's where it's very little guaranteed, but big salary as long as he's still playing. Gives the team an easy out if it goes south.

For sure, Im just guessing as well. If he did come around and start playing well, and they did want to ink him to decent money, maybe the contract gets structured like Kaep's where it's very little guaranteed, but big salary as long as he's still playing. Gives the team an easy out if it goes south.

Good point.

You wouldn't take Flacco/Romo/Wilson no question? 12, 14, 15 behind Tanny's 11 in total yards?

Flacco, sure. Romo, no. Wilson, maaaaybe. JMHO.

And then it's a "no" for everyone after Wilson except for Newton. Unless they are playing for super cheap. But if we're talking about paying these guys Tanny's contract, then hell no.

So much cash tied up between Suh and a mediocre QB. Love it. Great planning, Fish.

If 11th in yards and 12th in TD's is mediocre, please sign me up for mediocre.

So much of it vs garbage teams that mailed it in the last 3 games.

Saint....

So would I....but would you take him knowing that you wouldnt be able to afford the pieces of our top 5 defense.....Clay....Harvin....etc etc

i would take the jump from EJ/Cassell (7m) to tannehill (15m) over the 8m jump in another position or two. Heck, chandler to clay was 5m+ jump alone, or passing on harvin at 6m making up the bulk of the jump.

I wouldnt love paying that much but id be able to justify it pretty quick when you look at the impact of a qb vs an elite role player.

i would take the jump from EJ/Cassell (7m) to tannehill (15m) over the 8m jump in another position or two. Heck, chandler to clay was 5m+ jump alone, or passing on harvin at 6m making up the bulk of the jump.

I wouldnt love paying that much but id be able to justify it pretty quick when you look at the impact of a qb vs an elite role player.

I predict EJ/Cassel will have similar stats/success as Tannehill this year, just because we've improved the team around EJ/Cassel, and we improved our OC in a big way.

I predict EJ/Cassel will have similar stats/success as Tannehill this year, just because we've improved the team around EJ/Cassel, and we improved our OC in a big way.

how do you think Tannehill would look with our team? Say if we didnt get cassell and harvin to more or less balance the books.

I don't see greatness in Tannehill's game up to this point in his carreer. Sometimes he seems a bit robotic with no feel for the game, but he'll stand up, forget about that bad play and start over. He's a good starting QB and could still get better, if he somehow finds the sights for the long game he can be very dangerous.

Right now, I see him as the same type of QB that Alex Smith is, he can beat you but you're not overly concerned with his game.

I don't see greatness in Tannehill's game up to this point in his carreer. Sometimes he seems a bit robotic with no feel for the game, but he'll stand up, forget about that bad play and start over. He's a good starting QB and could still get better, if he somehow finds the sights for the long game he can be very dangerous.

Right now, I see him as the same type of QB that Alex Smith is, he can beat you but you're not overly concerned with his game.

Spot on. I'll add: right now he's not a guy who will win a road playoff game. No way.

Numbers don't tell the story with Tannehill, he's got above average physical talent and below average mental ability for the game. Don't think he'll live up to that contract and the 'Phins will have high expectations until a few years down the road without the results they are looking for. Maybe they make the playoffs once or twice in the next 5 years but can't see Tannehill getting much farther then that.I don't think he's bad and yeah the Bills would be much improved with him but he will never be more than a bit above average. If the goal is deep playoffs then no thank you.

It's funny how improved the media considers the 'Phins. They drafted a rookie WR, lost a good DE to add a great DT, added Kenny Stills in exchange for Mike Wallace and replace Clay with Cameron.

Losing Odrick lessens Suh's impact, teams will double Suh quite a lot without Nick Fairley next to him.

Kenny Stills is a wash from Wallace and rookie WRs typically dont produce well right away.

Cameron is a hit to the head away from retirement.

Keeps the Bills from pursuing him next year as well, which would be a mistake imo. Drafting and developing a QB is the way to go, get those cheap years before you require your GM to do cap gymnastics. Cook vs Tannehill please!

Smart move by the Dolphins. He's a good player.

It's funny that his stats were almost identical to EJ's through 4 games last year. RT got to play through it and got better. He's also had 2 OCs much better than anything we had here the last 2 years.

I think he is ok. I have never felt worried about going against him. He is similar to Dalton to me. He is capable of big games but is pretty average and not going to win games by himself.