Tannehill extended through 2020

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes. That's a lot for a guy that's only really had 1 average/good season.

They had to do it, but damn.

That is the going rate for a QB with average/good season. They got a steal regardless of what they paid him. Behind Brady, he is the most stable QB in the division.

The 5th year option which is $16 million next year puts the Dolphins at 164 million for active contracts for 2016. Depending on how it is spread out over the years, its probably better that they signed him and spread it out a bit. With the option they are paying $44.75 million for Suh and Tannehill.

Edited by What a Tuel

Yikes. That's a lot for a guy that's only really had 1 average/good season.

They had to do it, but damn.

I think that's the key -- it isn't that much anymore for a middle-tier QB. Extend him now before a) the price goes up and/or b) his game improves.

I'd certainly take Tannehill at $16MM over EJ, Cassel, et al at 1/2 the price.

They were in a tough spot, almost an impossible one. I happen to think he is pretty good and probably worth 15m. I know I would take him on the Bills for the next three years at 15m per to see if he becomes very good.

They couldn't just release him, he wouldn't sign for less, they couldn't really franchise him. 96m and 45 guaranteed is probably the best they could do as long as the 45m is more like 15 per for 3 and not 45m for the first two and then a decent sized salary in year three over it.

Sign you up for that at $16mil/year?

VS a guy who can't reach half those numbers for a tenth of the price. Yes. In a heartbeat. I'd sign Tanny at that price and not look back.

Edited by FireChan

If 11th in yards and 12th in TD's is mediocre, please sign me up for mediocre.

thats like JP losman territory!

realistically, thats a dangerous area, as simply staying healthy for 16 games, and not being a trainwreck will let you compile decent ranking volume stats. hes 11th in yards, but 9th in attempts, leaving him 28th in YPA.

i think hes a decent qb, but im not upset they extended him.

With the option they are paying $44.75 million for Suh and Tannehill.

Excellent.

Now all we need is for Suh's game to drop off because of the Florida heat (he's an Oregon boy, so 90-degree plus days in September and early October will be pretty uncomfortable) and Tanny to buckle under pressure from the big contract...

thats like JP losman territory!

realistically, thats a dangerous area, as simply staying healthy for 16 games, and not being a trainwreck will let you compile decent ranking volume stats. hes 11th in yards, but 9th in attempts, leaving him 28th in YPA.

i think hes a decent qb, but im not upset they extended him.

Is there another QB in the top ten of "volume stats" that you wouldn't take on the Bills?

If his YPA was higher, he wouldn't be a good QB, he'd be in Aaron Rodgers' company.

Edited by FireChan