5/13: EJ Manuel Talks Bills' QB Competition

Nothing is EJ's fault ever. He's the only young QB that has had to deal with substandard coaching and injuries to his skill players. Every other QB that has been a bust has been in ideal situations surrounded by great coaching and talent. We can only get a sense of what EJ can be as a QB ONLY when he's played 3 full seasons surrounded by an elite coaching staff and teammates.

Someone needs to tell Whaley this who has already publically stated that this is a make or break year for EJ. EJ only has 14 starts and if he loses the competition then he still has the same amount of starts so how could Rex or a Whaley possibly judge him?

He needs to be handed the job and given the entire season to start so he can get to the magic number of starts or pass attempts so he can be properly evaluated.

Haha. Great Post!!

That is how ridiculous it is?

This is the NFL, not some peewee league.

Imo

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha. Great Post!!

That is how ridiculous it is?

This is the NFL, not some peewee league.

Imo

Well, I prefer the answer given by 1billsfan.

I believe the situation EJ was thrown into was not typical and was particulary bad.

People always think those they agree with are more intelligent.

I thought, according to you, EJ would already be cut or traded.

Must have been some white noise confusing the insider info.

Doesn't matter. What happens on the field will mercifully end this seemingly endless back and forth.

Annnnd jumping the shark.

I'm excited to finally get to see what Manuel either does or doesn't do in Roman's offense. If he can't get it done then so be it, but I still have some optimism regarding Manuel becoming our franchise QB. The other exciting factor is the possibility of Taylor dominating camp and becoming our franchise QB, I'm excited about that too.

Ditto.

And, if neither of those happen, I'm confident that Cassel can manage the team, as he's done in the past on talented squads. It's nice to have a little bit of a safety net.

Nothing is EJ's fault ever. He's the only young QB that has had to deal with substandard coaching and injuries to his skill players. Every other QB that has been a bust has been in ideal situations surrounded by great coaching and talent. We can only get a sense of what EJ can be as a QB ONLY when he's played 3 full seasons surrounded by an elite coaching staff and teammates.

Someone needs to tell Whaley this who has already publically stated that this is a make or break year for EJ. EJ only has 14 starts and if he loses the competition then he still has the same amount of starts so how could Rex or a Whaley possibly judge him?

He needs to be handed the job and given the entire season to start so he can get to the magic number of starts or pass attempts so he can be properly evaluated.

Strawman.jpg

Strawman.jpg

It's Marrone's fault EJ was missing wide open receivers and has a lack of anticipation and feel for the position.

It's Marrone's fault EJ was missing wide open receivers and has a lack of anticipation and feel for the position.

yep.

about time you admitted it.

since you have not added the requisite question mark to your sentence you have made it a statement and not a question.

defend that.

bitches..

as Fred Munster might do, jump up and down, yelling " I win I win I win" shaking the dust from the house and then falling into the basement to find Grampa mixing potions.

i'm surely having my moment though Bangarang. You just won a prize too.

: )

Edited by 3rdand12

It kind of looks like the right tackle missed an assignment.

Even if it's not.... How can you leave the most dominant guy for batting down passes in the past decade unblocked, needing to dump the ball right behind him?

If true, I think even less of Hackett.

That was the plan until this happened.

IcyHonoredArchaeocete.gif

The man they game planed for all week and he throws it right at him.

If only it was an isolated incident...

I believe, This was the final nail in EJs proverbial coffin.

Imo

yep.

about time you admitted it.

since you have not added the requisite question mark to your sentence you have made it a statement and not a question.

defend that.

bitches..

as Fred Munster might do, jump up and down, yelling " I win I win I win" shaking the dust from the house and then falling into the basement to find Grampa mixing potions.

i'm surely having my moment though Bangarang. You just won a prize too.

There's no question mark because there's nothing to question. EJ was clearly coached to be inaccurate and lack anticipation. Truthfully I never thought that was a good coaching strategy so I'm glad Marrone is gone.

Is my prize a microwave? I could probably use a new one.

I was " all aboard " when Marrone came on. But the way the offense played got weirder as time went on.

After he left and the way he left cemented my suspicions.

I am very very interested to see what Roman does with this EJ Manuel. Does he have to start over at the base level , rebuilding a crumbling foundation ?

I am going to root for the Kid and be glad we have Cassel and then wish for Tyrod to be the hidden gem.

Go Bills!

as for your prize..

Congratulations

WeI have some plastic knives and forks just for you !

pm me and will get them out to you as soon as i calculate shipping costs.

Leroi,

I gotta ask...in all honesty......why the hate for ONE player on this team? I dont see you point this arrow at anyone else on the team

He was probably drafted above someone else he wanted. Or he drafted him high in a fantasy league and has never recovered. Edited by The Wiz

He was probably drafted above someone else he wanted. Or he drafted him high in a fantasy league and has never recovered.

or its just to stir up controversy?

but probably not. we have seen the back of his head , he called a draft pick. and just like the rest of us Leroi has been wrong. no harm in that , right?

i am going with the fantasy league theory.

The thing about EJ is everyone (me) knew it was a reach to satisfy the fan base. Other Thing is, Bills have a less then stellar history drafting QB's.

Then the coaching staff subverted their efforts to destroy the Bills Offense long term so when Marrone went to the Jets..

imo

Leroi,

I gotta ask...in all honesty......why the hate for ONE player on this team? I dont see you point this arrow at anyone else on the team

I have said several times why i don't like EJ. I have been consistent in my message.

I do not want to sacrifice this year to see, again, that the kid does not have "it".

We are stacked and the window of opportunity is small, we do not have time to waste.

Check out my post history for more info.

Imo

I have said several times why i don't like EJ. I have been consistent in my message.

I do not want to sacrifice this year to see, again, that the kid does not have "it".

We are stacked and the window of opportunity is small, we do not have time to waste.

Imo

Your post history regarding Manuel is precisely the reason you get questions such as the one by John from Hemet. They appear to be relentlessly aggressive and often crossing the line from a belief that he lacks professional QB abilities to something more personal. If you had your way, not only would he not be given any shot at earning the starting position, or even a backup position, but he should be cut right now from this team and probably the league - and the tone of your posts make some wonder if you would actually derive some sort of pleasure from that.

Imo

Truthfully, Leroi, what I recall from your post history is "expect Manuel to be cut on the 3rd day of FA" and "Manuel doesn't fit into the Bills future plans" and similar pronouncements.

I really don't recall any reasoned explanation of just why you think Manuel is so much more awful than Glennon, Bortles, Carr, Dalton his rook season, etc, that he should be thrown to the dumpster immediately. Not wanting to "sacrifice the season" on a QB who has not shown he has "it" is not a good reason - unless we have an alternative QB that we could have acquired who does have "it", and I didn't see that QB coming available.

Edited by Hopeful

Imo

I think the majority of fans are right there with you in the sense no one wants to waste another year figuring out if EJ is or is not the guy. I don't have a problem with that logic and don't really have a problem with your conviction that EJ absolutely, 100% is not "the guy". The odds are you're right. I just don't think it's inconceivable that a young player can improve with age and a new system. You obviously don't agree with that, at least in EJ's case, and there are plenty of people that would agree with you.

Where I disagree with you is the idea that any of this team's window is being wasted by having EJ on this roster entering training camp. Even if you know EJ isn't going to ever be "the guy" there's always a chance -- no matter how small -- he might defy the odds and take a step forward in his development. Clearly he has the physical tools to succeed if the light ever does go on. It only behooves the team to see what, if any, progress he's made in August. Isn't that what the training camp battle is for?

Rex and company have no allegiance to EJ and if he looks as bad in camp this year as he did last year, there's zero chance he beats out Cassell for the starting job. That's not to say Cassell is great, just that he's better on his worst day than EJ looked in camp last year from everything we heard (and saw). And of course Tyler is the wildcard who the coach has a man-crush on. If the training camp battle is as legit as has been reported and there isn't some pressure from the front office to give EJ another shot no matter what (I don't believe there is), then how is this team's window being wasted by taking the time to let the competition play itself out? Where's the harm?

The only harm comes if we move on too soon. Right now it makes no sense from a cap perspective to cut him and I'd imagine the trade market for him is pretty shallow. No one has seen him play for almost a year, but if he plays well in a preseason game -- even with the second or third units -- he increases his trade value. There's also the chance a team has a few injuries at the position once camps open. Teams are usually more desperate for help in August than in May coming out of the draft. I just don't see the rush to get rid of him right now like you appear to.

Imo

oh boo hoo have you ever proves what your bona fides are?

yes, keeping EJ is a gamble, but it cuts both ways if he has IT and they let him go prematurely.

they made 9-7 with KO, they could do as well with EJ

Imo

Truthfully, Leroi, what I recall from your post history is "expect Manuel to be cut on the 3rd day of FA" and "Manuel doesn't fit into the Bills future plans" and similar pronouncements.

I really don't recall any reasoned explanation of just why you think Manuel is so much more awful than Glennon, Bortles, Carr, Dalton his rook season, etc, that he should be thrown to the dumpster immediately. Not wanting to "sacrifice the season" on a QB who has not shown he has "it" is not a good reason - unless we have an alternative QB that we could have acquired who does have "it", and I didn't see that QB coming available.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:worthy::beer:

Seems to me Marrone was the worst Bills coach ever to not get fired. Just think, he'd still be running the show if he hadn't walked out on us New Year's Eve.

Like all coaches he had good and bad points. The good:

- he recruited great d coordinators and let them run the show

-He did instill discipline and appeared to be very organized

- he made enough correct game day decisions to put together a winning season

The bad: we all know that story, but to me the worst was the ineptitude of the offensive line in the third and fourth game of the season last year.

McCown was in there too. Well played!

Imo

Your post history suggests that you have a close affinity for the Marrone regime and feel that Marrone unfairly took the bullet for EJ's failures.

There's no question mark because there's nothing to question. EJ was clearly coached to be inaccurate and lack anticipation. Truthfully I never thought that was a good coaching strategy so I'm glad Marrone is gone.

Is my prize a microwave? I could probably use a new one.

Maybe just maybe, offenses need to match their QBs talent and deficits...

Your post history suggests that you have a close affinity for the Marrone regime and feel that Marrone unfairly took the bullet for EJ's failures.

It also suggests that he's a troll.

And every time I react to his idiocy, I end up a little angry with myself.

Your post history regarding Manuel is precisely the reason you get questions such as the one by John from Hemet. They appear to be relentlessly aggressive and often crossing the line from a belief that he lacks professional QB abilities to something more personal. If you had your way, not only would he not be given any shot at earning the starting position, or even a backup position, but he should be cut right now from this team and probably the league - and the tone of your posts make some wonder if you would actually derive some sort of pleasure from that.

I think the majority of fans are right there with you in the sense no one wants to waste another year figuring out if EJ is or is not the guy. I don't have a problem with that logic and don't really have a problem with your conviction that EJ absolutely, 100% is not "the guy". The odds are you're right. I just don't think it's inconceivable that a young player can improve with age and a new system. You obviously don't agree with that, at least in EJ's case, and there are plenty of people that would agree with you.

Where I disagree with you is the idea that any of this team's window is being wasted by having EJ on this roster entering training camp. Even if you know EJ isn't going to ever be "the guy" there's always a chance -- no matter how small -- he might defy the odds and take a step forward in his development. Clearly he has the physical tools to succeed if the light ever does go on. It only behooves the team to see what, if any, progress he's made in August. Isn't that what the training camp battle is for?

Rex and company have no allegiance to EJ and if he looks as bad in camp this year as he did last year, there's zero chance he beats out Cassell for the starting job. That's not to say Cassell is great, just that he's better on his worst day than EJ looked in camp last year from everything we heard (and saw). And of course Tyler is the wildcard who the coach has a man-crush on. If the training camp battle is as legit as has been reported and there isn't some pressure from the front office to give EJ another shot no matter what (I don't believe there is), then how is this team's window being wasted by taking the time to let the competition play itself out? Where's the harm?

The only harm comes if we move on too soon. Right now it makes no sense from a cap perspective to cut him and I'd imagine the trade market for him is pretty shallow. No one has seen him play for almost a year, but if he plays well in a preseason game -- even with the second or third units -- he increases his trade value. There's also the chance a team has a few injuries at the position once camps open. Teams are usually more desperate for help in August than in May coming out of the draft. I just don't see the rush to get rid of him right now like you appear to.

oh boo hoo have you ever proves what your bona fides are?

yes, keeping EJ is a gamble, but it cuts both ways if he has IT and they let him go prematurely.

they made 9-7 with KO, they could do as well with EJ

Imo

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:worthy::beer:

It also suggests that he's a troll.

And every time I react to his idiocy, I end up a little angry with myself.

I'm sorry, was I responding to you?

Let's stick to topic and keep the baiting and trolling to a minimum.

Thanks Guys, much appreciated.

Imo