Jimmy Garoppolo and the future of the AFC East

Everyone's fired up about the Brady suspension and what it means for his legacy, but I think the most interesting aspect of this whole situation is the fact that we're going to get an early glimpse of the Garoppolo-Belichick duo and what the future of our division holds once Brady retires. Garoppolo has looked very good in his opportunities so far, and Belichick has said some very nice things about him. I'm not saying "DOOMED" - I'm just saying this guy has me more worried for the future of Buffalo and the AFCE than Tannehill.

Can someone knowledgable about QB play fill me in... what are we in for with Garoppolo?

Edited by johnwalter

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't high on him coming out of college. Thought he was about the 7th best qb in the draft last year. One read offense, very shaky pocket presence. Only time I saw him play last season was against the Bills and wasn't impressed even with the Bills missing several key starters on D. I'm sure he will be more prepared going into this season but he lacks skill players aside from Gronk.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I wasn't high on him coming out of college. Thought he was about the 7th best qb in the draft last year. One read offense, very shaky pocket presence. Only time I saw him play last season was against the Bills and wasn't impressed even with the Bills missing several key starters on D. I'm sure he will be more prepared going into this season but he lacks skill players aside from Gronk.

I saw the games. He looked good running. That's it.

He didn't look good against the Bills, but our defense made a lot of QBs look bad last year. He was pretty good in his other appearances (6 for 7 for 70 yards, a TD and no INTs against the Chiefs and 3 for 3 for 22 yards against Chicago).

And his preseason stats and in-season stats are pretty consistent, outside of completion percentage. Makes it look like it wasn't quite as much luck about how well he did during the season.

In-season: 19 for 27, 70.4% completions, A lowish YPA of 6.7, but AdjustedYPA is a higher 7.5. 1 TD, 0 INTs. Passer rating 101.2

Pre-season: 46 for 79, 58.2%. 7.8 YPA. 5 TDs, 1 INT. Passer rating 99.0.

Considering a lot of his in-season work came against our excellent defense, he looks promising. Too early to say for sure, but promising, unfortunately.

Edited by Thurman#1

He didn't look good against the Bills, but our defense made a lot of QBs look bad last year. He was pretty good in his other appearances.

And his preseason stats and in-season stats are pretty consistent, outside of completion percentage. Makes it look like it wasn't quite as much luck about how well he did during the season.

In-season: 19 for 27, 70.4% completions, A lowish YPA of 6.7, but AdjustedYPA is a higher 7.5. 1 TD, 0 INTs. Passer rating 101.2

Considering a lot of his in-season work came against out excellent defense, he looks promising. Too early to say for sure, but promising, unfortunately.

The game was in Foxboro where the Pats usually dominate, so in that context, his performance is even worse. And the Bills weren't preparing for him.\

As for pre-season, doesn't mean a thing. We've all seen enough of them who go on to do nothing in the NFL.

If belichik brings in another qb to start the first four weeks instead of garropolo then I think we should assume garropolo has no real future in NE besides riding the pine. But if he comes in and plays well, I think belichik might stick around beyond Brady's tenure

I thought he did pretty well against us considering he's a rookie.

What caught my attention is that when he played the 2nd half, Brady and Belichick watched him with A LOT of interest on the sidelines. Especially Brady. He must be doing pretty well in practice for Brady (who seems like he doesn't respect anyone) to watch him intently. I suspect they already decided he's their guy for the future, Brady suspension or not.

Edited by musichunch

I thought he did pretty well against us considering he's a rookie.

What caught my attention is that when he played the 2nd half, Brady and Belichick watched him with A LOT of interest on the sidelines. Especially Brady. He must be doing pretty well in practice for Brady (who seems like he doesn't respect anyone) to watch him intently. I suspect they already decided he's their guy for the future, Brady suspension or not.

probably his last shot at a successful mentoring project.

He didn't look good against the Bills, but our defense made a lot of QBs look bad last year. He was pretty good in his other appearances (6 for 7 for 70 yards, a TD and no INTs against the Chiefs and 3 for 3 for 22 yards against Chicago).

Considering a lot of his in-season work came against our excellent defense, he looks promising. Too early to say for sure, but promising, unfortunately.

thanks man, that was helpful.

Everyone's fired up about the Brady suspension and what it means for his legacy, but I think the most interesting aspect of this whole situation is the fact that we're going to get an early glimpse of the Garoppolo-Belichick duo and what the future of our division holds once Brady retires. Garoppolo has looked very good in his opportunities so far, and Belichick has said some very nice things about him. I'm not saying "DOOMED" - I'm just saying this guy has me more worried for the future of Buffalo and the AFCE than Tannehill.

Can someone knowledgable about QB play fill me in... what are we in for with Garoppolo?

They will trade us Brady after Garrapolo takes over.

There is really no veteran to bring in worth starting in the NFL. Even without Lebeau, the Steelers have a history of embarassing rookie QB's. Remember EJ against the Steelers two years ago. The Bills will have a clinic on him even with 4 months to prepare.

There is no way Brady reduces the suspension below two games so as much as I would love to beat Brady in Buffalo, I'll take the win in the AFC East.

I attribute that most of his success is due to a lack of game planning on the defensive side. Same reason Johnny football looked good on a drive...game plan him and destroy

10/17 - 58.8% - 90 yards - 0TD/0INT - 17.1 QBR - 73.2 Rating - 3* sacks for 19 yards

(was sacked another time, but a flag wiped it out)

Why is he suddenly appointed king with that? His other "good" stats were when he came in for mop up duty in other games.

Edited by Dorkington