A reasonable Deflategate analogy

My analogy would be a breathalyzer. You refuse to take the test (in this case Brady's refusal to provide text/email) and you're guilty. Let his attorneys redact it. Anything not directly related to the NFL is out. At the end of the day, the NFL already has access to the text/email of coaching staff, other front office personnel, and other players. Sounds like there's a smoking gun here that lady quarterback doesn't want people to see.

Didn't Bruce Smith get out of a DUI in the late 1990s/2000 or so by refusing to take a breathalyzer and claiming sleep apnea at 3:30 am in the morning even though he was clearly loaded? Just saying. (That said, he was busted again in 2009 for a DUI and his refusal to take breathalyzer test didn't help).

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely, the extra ref will be assigned duties to inflate the balls to the requested legal psi level and monitor those balls with his life.

whats next then?

Didn't Bruce Smith get out of a DUI in the late 1990s/2000 or so by refusing to take a breathalyzer and claiming sleep apnea at 3:30 am in the morning even though he was clearly loaded? Just saying. (That said, he was busted again in 2009 for a DUI and his refusal to take breathalyzer test didn't help).

The law changed . i have already mentioned that in NY refusal is rewarded with conviction of DUI.

You can refuse the sobriety test but not the breath alyzer.

heres my query. why cant Toms phone history be extracted ? and all the data within? i still dont think its Gizzellle. i think its got other stuff tied to belliache or hell even Krafty the Overlord. Tom is taking the fall. now put him in a cell with some angry folks who have had no sex in a month and i bet one of two thing would happen. He would tell all , or he would come out, as happy as could be.

Maybe i missed it but isnt it a company phone?

if not , excuse my question please.

Do you not think that balls with lower PSIs are less likely to be fumbled?

All those fumbles that never happened... We've not played the patriots fair and square since before Bledsoe played for them.

They stole our signs back when we were just building our young team---hard enough to get wins in the NFL--but when Billy B knows the play being called and sneaks his Free Safety to where the ball will be thrown, or he brings a linebacker to exactly the right gap to stuff our runner---well, it's even harder to win. They can go for a long walk off a short pier.

Agree and there is a broader context. The team was caught videotaping signals, their use of eligible / ineligible receivers while within the rules is highly suspect and now there is deflategate. The fact this team appears to be willing to test limits repeatedly is troubling. It is a slippery slope for the league. The message is winning is more important than sportsmanship and fair play.

Brady is a great player and will be in the HOF. However, I still have zero respect for him. Unlike a Bob Griese who also consistently beat the Bills or maybe someone like Troy Aikman, at least they beat the Bills straight up without manipulating the rules.

It's not that they were stealing signs, everyone does that in pretty much all sports...it's that they took it to a new level other teams didn't to gain an extra 30 minutes of advantage since they knew the signals from the beginning of the game versus other teams taking til halftime to figure out the signals...

In terms of being illegal yes, but it is a myth that cork gives the player extra distance/power than a standard bat. In fact it's less. Deflating footballs gives the QB as well as anyone else who touches the football an advantage. There is no advantage to corking a bat.

There is an advantage to corking the bat, it's not to increase distance/power--obviously not because the bat weighs less--but rather to increase the likelihood of hitting the ball.

Edited by nonprophet

Corked bat is a good analogy. Imo.

Ha, I was just going to hit reply and say this too until I saw you were the first reply.

This whole deflategate stuff is SOOOOOOOOO blown out of proportion in terms of the actual incident itself. It has sent people on a witch hunt trying to figure out ways to make the incident more severe than what it really is.

The bigger issue is simply the lack of cooperation on behalf of Brady and the organization, and that I agree with the NFL needed to be dealt with. But throughout this whole process, the actual incident has been elevated to mythological proportions. In reality, its very minor...VERY minor. In fact, HOF legends, existing players, retired players, etc have all publicly stated ways they have or do bend the rules, many of which more severe than this.

Bottom line...love him or hate him, if you are being unbiased then Brady is one of the 3 best QB's to ever play the game period and is legitimately in every conversation of the best ever. People act like if he air pressure was slightly higher that Brady suddenly couldn't throw it anymore despite just winning a SB against one of the best defenses of the last 20 years with the DeflateGate distraction on top of that.

I will say, I am loving all the Patriot bashing and embarrassment for them...F the Pats, GO Bills!

The best one I've heard to date.

The problem is: there are no good analogous relationships because the crime is so heinous--yet it is at the same time misunderstood, and falls outside of our concept of what "cheating" is. We as modern-day sports fans can't grasp that Tom Brady should be banned for life and the Patriots should have their title stripped.

Before you call that ridiculous, consider if the following took place on the PGA tour.

The PGA tour has a stipulation that their golf balls can be no less than 43 milimeters wide. Let's assume, for a second, that before every tournament, players had to submit the balls they were using for the round. WHAT IF, after the balls had been submitted to the tour officials, and their width was verified, Tiger Wood's caddie took his golfballs to his truck, and shaved off 4mm from each ball (the equivalent of 1/12th of the golf ball, which roughly equals dropping a football from 12psi to 11psi.) Would he be kicked off the tour for that? Probably not, if it was his first offense. But if he had done something equally as egregious in the past? I can promise you he would be banned for life. It's not JUST the advantages gained (which may be minimal); its the fact that he took the balls back AFTER the refs had checked them. I mean, that's REALLY going out of your way to cheat. It's annoying. If it was grade school and it was kickball, hed be called a f*ggot and given a bloody nose.

The difference between using PEDs and cheating in the actual f*cking game is exceedingly large. Cheating in the game itself is so far beyond the pale of what is acceptable and what isn't. If you were at a poker game, who would you be mad at? The guy who smoked a little meth beforehand so he could stay up all night and be focused; Or the guy that brings his own deck to the game and slips an extra ace in when he's dealing, because it's just 2% of the deck, and everyone probably does it anyways, so stop being jealous of all the pots hes won, and stop concocting these sting operations against him with your cabal of conspirators, and hey, while youre at it, stop asking about his friend chris smith, who he OCCASIONALLY refers to as Mr. slipanextraaceinmydeckbecauseithelpsmewin.

Edited by JohnnyGold

Jastremski could be the road deflator. One of the things that Wells wanted to ask McNally about before the Pats wouldn't let Wells ask is Wells found a text from McNally to Jastremski at halftime of the Pats Packers game in November. The Pats were losing at halftime (and eventually lost) but McNally, from home, texted Jastremski at the game, to "Deflate and give somebody the jkt." Wells wanted to ask McNally what that meant but wasn't allowed to. He also wasn't allowed to ask McNally why he was nicknamed "The Deflator." Part of the reason he concluded Brady was guilty. The Pats stonewalled him on serious stuff that needed to be answered.

Jastremski could be the road deflator. One of the things that Wells wanted to ask McNally about before the Pats wouldn't let Wells ask is Wells found a text from McNally to Jastremski at halftime of the Pats Packers game in November. The Pats were losing at halftime (and eventually lost) but McNally, from home, texted Jastremski at the game, to "Deflate and give somebody the jkt." Wells wanted to ask McNally what that meant but wasn't allowed to. He also wasn't allowed to ask McNally why he was nicknamed "The Deflator." Part of the reason he concluded Brady was guilty. The Pats stonewalled him on serious stuff that needed to be answered.

What's jkt? Or is that part of the questioning?

What's jkt? Or is that part of the questioning?

Don't know and don't think they know but not sure on that. I assumed something to do with jacket. My first thought was he could hold the ball under a jacket on the sideline while he stick a needle in the ball and no one would see him or catch him on tape actually letting air out.

I don't think it is that simple. The Pats went and deflated the balls after they were in League possession. They essentially stole the balls AND then deflated them. They essentially cheated to cheat again. THEN, they screamed and yelled from the top of the mountain like Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens that they didn't do it and the League owed them an apology (Robert Kraft).

The Pats ** cheated to cheat and THEN attacked the League from Robert Kraft, Tom Brady, Brady's agent, Brady's father and so on. Totally different.

The cheating didn't bother me much until the Pats started fighting back like they are above the league and can bully the league around!

IMHO

^^^This.

It's drummed into our culture and the Pats** are not helping. It's like, who cares if Jackie Robinson West cheats... The Pats** do it!

Nice freaking example you are setting there Belicheat et al. Then they get all obnoxious that it is sticking to Teflon Tommy.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

There's no true good analog because there's only one jerkoff who's ever been putz enough to get caught deflating footballs in the NFL.

The patriots are a joke. "Fans" just counting the days till the red sox opener. Biggest and most educated Pats fans are from anywhere except Massachusetts.

There is an advantage to corking the bat, it's not to increase distance/power--obviously not because the bat weighs less--but rather to increase the likelihood of hitting the ball.

It increases bat speed by making it lighter...which COULD increase power as well since F=MA...you are increasing the acceleration of the bat, depending on how much you could increase the force you are hitting it with as well...

^^^This.

It's drummed into our culture and the Pats** are not helping. It's like, who cares if Jackie Robinson West cheats... The Pats** do it!

Nice freaking example you are setting there Belicheat et al. Then they get all obnoxious that it is sticking to Teflon Tommy.

It's like the spoiled brat that is used to throwing fits and getting their way all the time and doing whatever they want. Then the parent puts their foot down and they throw a hissy fit and make a big scene...