Brandon Spikes visiting Patriots: update - signed 1 yr deal

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty obvious that the Bills staff doesn't believe he fits this defense, even if the locker-room loved him. Not sure why anyone is surprised he might be visiting another team, including the Patriots.

i find it surprising because of what he said about the pats after he left and how it all went down at the of his time there. Remember now Belichik put him on IR at the end of the year even though he claimed he wasn't hurt, essentially suspending him for the playoffs, because he was snowed in and late to a meeting? He talked about how there was no love lost between him and the Pats and a ton of stuff about the culture and how he finally found peace in Bflo. I don't blame him for wanting to play but that's the last place I would expect him to end up. Too many bridges burned on both sides. Guess not! Edited by YoloinOhio

This just reminds of an issue I've been thinking about, the Bills' run defense. Despite all of the talk about how great Rex will make this defense, our front 7 are more suited in the pass rushing game than the run stopping game, which was/is the strength of the Rex's former Jets' front 7. The Bills improved significantly in Schwartz's "stop the run first" defense, but still were not a top 10 run D last year. This is where Spikes will definitely be missed, if he goes elsewhere.

not a Spikes fan anymore if this is true. he's all tough and anti-Pats...until he needs a job. couldn't imagine him walking back in there with his tail between his legs so I hope this isn't true. hopefully they were the ones that requested the meeting and he's going to tell them where they can stick their deflated balls

This does not make me happy.

totally asinine if we don't resign him. We got no help LB wise in the draft in terms of run-stuffers, and we don't have Kiko. What is the plan here exactly.

Preston Brown's natural position is a thumper in the middle. He'll fill that role.

Additionally, Rex only uses 2 LBs in the Nickel, which is what most teams are in the majority of the time.

That's basically why Whaley told him to go see if another team will play him where he is happy. On this roster, he probably only sees a very small percentage of snaps.

However, I love his leadership, and want to keep him away from a division rival, so I want him back too. But Im not too worried about our Run D without him.

This just reminds of an issue I've been thinking about, the Bills' run defense. Despite all of the talk about how great Rex will make this defense, our front 7 are more suited in the pass rushing game than the run stopping game, which was/is the strength of the Rex's former Jets' front 7. The Bills improved significantly in Schwartz's "stop the run first" defense, but still were not a top 10 run D last year. This is where Spikes will definitely be missed, if he goes elsewhere.

Any way to find out stats/rankings on how successful our run defense was with 7/8/9 in the box? I'm curious to find out if we were a stronger run defense with a base D (vs a base offense) or if we were equally successful with a nickel package (vs a 3wr offense)

not a Spikes fan anymore if this is true. he's all tough and anti-Pats...until he needs a job. couldn't imagine him walking back in there with his tail between his legs so I hope this isn't true. hopefully they were the ones that requested the meeting and he's going to tell them where they can stick their deflated balls

I don't get you guys...he's a football player who wants to play football and get paid......these are ridiculous comments...not just you kdiggz

This move speaks to the Pats weaknesses in my opinion. At best, Spikes will see the field around 40% of the time simply because he'll never play nickel, dime, or quarters. Another issue is that when he is on the field in the 4-3, teams don't always run, and guys get flexed out or put in motion, which can expose the defense's assignments. If he was so great, he wouldn't be unemployed on May 6, 2015 while heading back to visit his previous master. Market inefficiencies do happen, but not for this long in the NFL. Felton vs. Spikes in the A-gap all day.

I'm not saying I don't want Spikes back - I do. But I think we might be over stating his play on the field. He started out the pre-season like a ball of fire and I think we've held on to that. I found him to be somewhat invisible a lot. He had 11 games last year with 3 combined tackles or less and finished with 54.

In the locker room - no doubt he helped us - as evidenced by Brown's comments about saying it's not the same without him. I think he did his job by mentoring our young LB's and they shined. I would consider Spikes nearly the same as a Carrington signing. And I promise I'm not bashing him.

I don't get you guys...he's a football player who wants to play football and get paid......these are ridiculous comments...not just you kdiggz

it was the strong stance that he took after leaving NE. he was so anti-Pats and pro-Buffalo. we all embraced him as our own. and to go right back to the Pats after 1 season? there are 31 other teams to play on. I doubt that is his only option. it just seems kind of weak to crawl back to them on his hands and knees after all of this that's all. if this was his only job offer then so be it. i'm just not a Brandon Spikes fan anymore

totally asinine if we don't resign him. We got no help LB wise in the draft in terms of run-stuffers, and we don't have Kiko. What is the plan here exactly.

Bradham and Brown playing the ILB positions.

it was the strong stance that he took after leaving NE. he was so anti-Pats and pro-Buffalo. we all embraced him as our own. and to go right back to the Pats after 1 season? there are 31 other teams to play on. I doubt that is his only option. it just seems kind of weak to crawl back to them on his hands and knees after all of this that's all. if this was his only job offer then so be it. i'm just not a Brandon Spikes fan anymore

Totally agree, especially after the slave comments...my God

I think it's kind of like a girl that is dating a guy you don't like and she finally breaks up with him and starts dating you and tells you how much she loves you and how much of a jerk that other guy was. Then it just doesn't work out between you two for whatever reason and you break things off and she goes crawling right back to her ex! You just think wow that's kind of pathetic. No self respect :doh:

I think it's kind of like a girl that is dating a guy you don't like and she finally breaks up with him and starts dating you and tells you how much she loves you and how much of a jerk that other guy was. Then it just doesn't work out between you two for whatever reason and you break things off and she goes crawling right back to her ex! You just think wow that's kind of pathetic. No self respect :doh:

Haha at the same time this is business. Any Spikes, like the girl you just described, seems to be following the money.

Have you seen some of the comments he has made? It isn't far fetched to wonder why he would be willing to go back there. Maybe it was all talk, and obviously a job trumps talk, it is just a little surprising, that's all.