Kiper Jr. - 'Bills draft was the WORST of all 32 teams.'

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh. The Bills simultaneously now enjoy the distinction of being both a "hot" team and a team that can be easily criticized with little to no backlash because we're not exactly a major market. Expect plenty more people criticizing is for any reason that suits them

Putting aside what any of us thinks about this draft class, does anyone else see this as basically part of one big scam? Kiper is paid by ESPN to come up with a highly subjective ranking of draft prospects -- which you can only really see in detail if you decide to pay for access to Insider -- and then "grades" teams based on whether or not they selected players using the same evaluations that HE provided. Thus, if you disagree with his preliminary analysis, you of course do poorly in his grading. And of course, that post-draft analysis also gets stuck behind the paywall. . .

Kiper's job is to get attention. He has done so.

I don't care much about draft grades or free agency grades, and I care even less about Mel Kiper's opinion on anything. I care about what happens on the field come September. I truly do not know enough about the individuals they drafted to know whether or not they will be successful in the NFL. I do know this: I like Whaley, I like Rex, and I am a huge fan of both Roman and Kromer. I think, across the board, we truly have people who understand football, the strengths and weaknesses of their players, and how to devise game plans to maximize those strengths and minimize the weaknesses. I didn't expect a great things in this draft, given their draft positions and lack of a first rounder. However, I trust their judgement on player evaluation and if anyone can get the best out of the players drafted, it will be the coaching staff they have assembled. I loved what they did in free agency, I think coaching will make a tremendous difference in how the offensive line performs this year, and I can't wait to see what they do when the season starts. Until then, I don't give a **** what kind of grades anyone gives this team for free agency or the draft.

My favorite post in this thread

I don't care much about draft grades or free agency grades, and I care even less about Mel Kiper's opinion on anything. I care about what happens on the field come September. I truly do not know enough about the individuals they drafted to know whether or not they will be successful in the NFL. I do know this: I like Whaley, I like Rex, and I am a huge fan of both Roman and Kromer. I think, across the board, we truly have people who understand football, the strengths and weaknesses of their players, and how to devise game plans to maximize those strengths and minimize the weaknesses. I didn't expect a great things in this draft, given their draft positions and lack of a first rounder. However, I trust their judgement on player evaluation and if anyone can get the best out of the players drafted, it will be the coaching staff they have assembled. I loved what they did in free agency, I think coaching will make a tremendous difference in how the offensive line performs this year, and I can't wait to see what they do when the season starts. Until then, I don't give a **** what kind of grades anyone gives this team for free agency or the draft.

My favorite post in this thread

Ditto. :thumbsup:

can i have my award now?

I would like to thank.

Billsfan1959

for giving me this opportunity .

This award truly goes to him. I aspire to have his attitude.

we all can dialogue till blue in the face. But every once in awhile i learn something here.

and thats why i participate.

Now go kick some AFC ass Buffalo Bills!!

Mine as well. It stands out for sure.

Thoughtful and level-headed for sure... However, similar posts have been made of the Jauron, Gailey, and Marrone regimes... People we now realize were utterly incompetent! I don't know about you, but I don't much fancy the sound of 20 years without a playoff berth... Maybe it's time to be more cynical, and critical of those calling the shots... That's where I'm at right now.. I thought the Darby pick was the wrong move... Maxx Williams @50 would've been a slight reach, but given his abilities, many wouldve understood. I can't see picking a CORNERBACK ahead of a scoring threat like Williams. He's not even my favorite TE, and I would've jumped on him... O'leary I like a whole lot... However, he's no Maxx Williams. Heck, we could've gotten BOTH of them, and still grabbed PJ Williams! -Ultimately, I have to accept the decisions made, but I don't have to like them... It's good to be able to speak out in forums like this one.

Edited by #34fan

He's mad that we didn't add a bad QB to the mix. We should have listened to him on Jimmy Clausen and we would have our QB situation solved!!

On a lark, I checked Kiper's grade for the Bills' 2013 draft. C-. Because the Bills reached for a bad QB.

You just can't win with him. "Didn't address the QB position." "Addressed the QB position, but didn't do it correctly." And 2014 was a C-: "Paid a lot for a receiver when they didn't have a QB."

Okay, whatever Kipe.

So we signed Percy Harvin for one year for $6 million dollars but are not going to play him much because Roman likes two TEs?

I get the Roman likes TEs and mentioned it a lot. But no chance any second TE plays more than Harvin. Probably a quarter of the plays. OLeary fits a perfect role for that.

Roman likes a lot of different things but he uses what he has rather than just having a philosophy or system. He's going to play Harvin. He's going to play Felton because he's one of the best FB blockers in the league. Clay is going to be all over the field.

Well, I didn't name names, because I think Woods might be more likely to get squeezed out than Harvin, but yeah, that's my concern. Not saying it'll definitely happen, but it wouldn't surprise me if we ran more 2+ TE sets than 3+ WR sets this year, or it was at least close. I think I remember reading about the 49ers still being one of, if not the, top teams in 1-WR sets last year, even though the strength of their offense should've been the 3-WR set with Boldin, Crabtree, and Stevie. Actually, I think I'm overstating things here. Let me walk it back a bit.

I think most of the time in non-short-yardage situations, the Bills will have 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 RB, and another skill position. I think, based on pure talent, the extra skill player should be a WR the vast majority of the time. (I thought that last year, too.) But I also think it's pretty likely that Felton and the #2 TE, will combine to play a lot more than the #3 WR. "The #2 TE" won't necessarily be one person, and same goes for "the #3 WR" - injuries, guys winning/losing jobs midseason, etc.

I apologize if I'm coming across as all doom & gloom, because that's not my intent. I'm more just apprehensive. I can definitely see a realistic scenario where we're legitimately good this year, but I can also see a (to me) realistic scenario where everything blows up in our faces. We shall see.

Kiper is good at analyzing talent. All the "experts" have hits and misses but I think it is silly to give draft grades. They don't know internal issues of a team. Guys have injuries worse than expected, the guy is losing a step or already telling them he is retiring in a year or they are not going to resign a vet do they need to draft a replacement. He slams the Bills for a trade from last year's draft. I look at the results 5 years down the road and see if the draft was successful.

On a lark, I checked Kiper's grade for the Bills' 2013 draft. C-. Because the Bills reached for a bad QB.

You just can't win with him. "Didn't address the QB position." "Addressed the QB position, but didn't do it correctly." And 2014 was a C-: "Paid a lot for a receiver when they didn't have a QB."

Okay, whatever Kipe.

Thus far that's been a fair assessment

IMHO the Bills might have drafted Brett Hundley in the fifth round but the Packers surprised everyone by taking him a few picks before Buffalo. Same thing happened with Kirk Cousins the year he was draft one pick before Buffalo by the Redskins. I think the Bills have been snake bit by waiting for the QB being picked where he should be picked rather than taking him one round earlier than their board has him. Just my 2 cents worth.