Predict the 53

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't agree with this. AJ Tarpley is doing amazingly well and you don't have him on the roster? he could end up starting by the end of the year. O'Leary will make it at TE even though he didn't do much in the game. i could see why you would think Thompson at WR but I don't think he makes it over Hogan. they had Hogan out there with the 1's. and Hogan wouldn't be eligible for practice squad anyhow so that is also incorrect

don't agree with this. AJ Tarpley is doing amazingly well and you don't have him on the roster? he could end up starting by the end of the year. O'Leary will make it at TE even though he didn't do much in the game. i could see why you would think Thompson at WR but I don't think he makes it over Hogan. they had Hogan out there with the 1's. and Hogan wouldn't be eligible for practice squad anyhow so that is also incorrect

Tarpley has a shot for me too. Ty Powell did not play well on Friday night but Rex is a fan and he generally only keeps 3 inside guys on his active roster preferring to load up on edge rushers and defensive backs. If we take Brown and Bradham as locks that leaves one space to fight over.

Tarpley has a shot for me too. Ty Powell did not play well on Friday night but Rex is a fan and he generally only keeps 3 inside guys on his active roster preferring to load up on edge rushers and defensive backs. If we take Brown and Bradham as locks that leaves one space to fight over.

I think Powell and Tarpley both deserve to make it but we'll see. I couldn't imagine either of those guys not being on this team

Goodwin brings something Hogan doesn't. He must be accounted for every play. There is no way we keep more then 6 WRs. And Thompson has been impressive all camp, and when he was with the Ravens. Not to mention he can return kicks and brings more speed. I like Hogan and his special teams play. But he has had the drops all preseason. That doesn't bode well.

I hear everyone on Tarpley. Maybe Tarpley over Steward.

No way do we keep 4 TEs IMO. We have too deep a squad, and those last few cuts are going to hurt. We can't keep a tomato can over a talented LB or WR. If we had 4 decent TEs, maybe. But we don't have that luxury

And we keep 3 QB's. Any could still end up starting on this team. And they all are talented in their own way. Most every team keeps 3 QBs.

I love boobie too. But it's a numbers game. Who are you going to cut to make room for boobie?

Cuts are going to be tough.

Goodwin brings something Hogan doesn't. He must be accounted for every play. There is no way we keep more then 6 WRs. And Thompson has been impressive all camp, and when he was with the Ravens. Not to mention he can return kicks and brings more speed. I like Hogan and his special teams play. But he has had the drops all preseason. That doesn't bode well.

Goodwin has had drops throughout camp too and had one the other night. I am probably one of the bigger Hogan fans on this board but I just think you have to keep him. He is versatile and if Sammy or Woods go down he is the only other proper receiver on the roster. Harvin isn't he is a gadget guy. If you are trotting him out as a main receiver you are the New York Jets last year. Plus, I agree with you Boobie might be in trouble and then how many of your core ST guys are you going to let go? Corey Graham is going to be pretty much an every down starter this year so he probably plays less on teams, Boobie might be out of the door, Larry Dean was here to basically just play teams last year and is gone... how many key parts of those very good special teams from last year are you willing to give up? I think we would be moronic to cut Hogan. I think we keep 6 but it is one of Goodwin or Thompson not both.

EDIT: I agree on the tight ends. No point keeping a 4th one just for the sake of having 4... we have too much depth elsewhere and good players we need to keep. The way the other 3 played the other night and given Gragg's improved showing in camp I think he might nick a spot. O'Leary needs to step up big time.

Edited by GunnerBill

Hard to see Thigpen not making the team at this point. Easley on the bubble? I wouldn't be surprised if we carry 7 WRs, and Easley may not be one of them, contract extension be damned.

I think it may be time to lose Gay. I know he looked pretty good against Carolina (horribly shanked FG attempt notwithstanding), but, as has been said every year, he is a luxury.

I think Brooks is gone, and I wouldn't miss Duke Williams one bit. I think we have a lot of versatility in the defensive backfield, with Graham, Robey, and probably Rambo, and Leodis able to shift position. Add to this Rex's multi-look D, so maybe we don't need to be so deep in the backfield?

I'm still clutching onto my prediction that we carry two fullbacks- Felton/Connor. It's in the cards. Does anyone know if Connor is playing vs. Browns?

Hard to see Thigpen not making the team at this point. Easley on the bubble? I wouldn't be surprised if we carry 7 WRs, and Easley may not be one of them, contract extension be damned.

I think it may be time to lose Gay. I know he looked pretty good against Carolina (horribly shanked FG attempt notwithstanding), but, as has been said every year, he is a luxury.

I think Brooks is gone, and I wouldn't miss Duke Williams one bit. I think we have a lot of versatility in the defensive backfield, with Graham, Robey, and probably Rambo, and Leodis able to shift position. Add to this Rex's multi-look D, so maybe we don't need to be so deep in the backfield?

I'm still clutching onto my prediction that we carry two fullbacks- Felton/Connor. It's in the cards. Does anyone know if Connor is playing vs. Browns?

Duke Williams is going nowhere and nor should he. His play came on massively last year and Rex has already says he feels like Duke is basically a 3rd starter at the safety position. His ability to come up into the box to play the run will be popular with this staff I would imagine. Take out that horrible game against Gronkowski and New England where he was simply overmatched and Duke has been pretty good for us.

I go the other way... I still don't think Thigpen makes this team and Easley will only be on the bubble if they feel they have sufficient special teams studs to compensate for his loss - at this stage I am not convinced.

Out: Hogan....a marginal talent that simply doesn't have a spot in this offense and with this personnel.

Goodwin stays....IMO he's a lock. They love his speed and theyre realizing he can be used for more than just deep routes.

In: Thompson....speed, hands, attitude...special teams.

Given injury to Wynn, both Buchanan and IK make it.

Out: Hogan....a marginal talent that simply doesn't have a spot in this offense and with this personnel.

I both disagree with your view of his talent and secondly don't see a way he is cut. Vic Carucci's BN piece on the receivers battle is worth a read... when he spoke to Sanjay Lal about then battle for the 2 spot between Harvin and Woods he did exactly what Rex did in the press conference last week.. said it's very close and then without prompting said "and Hogan is right there with them."

Agreed on IK and Buchanon they are now both likely to make it unless one of the young DEs jumps out in the remaining games.

Edited by GunnerBill

I both disagree with your view of his talent and secondly don't see a way he is cut. Vic Carucci's BN piece on the receivers battle is worth a read... when he spoke to Sanjay Lal about then battle for the 2 spot between Harvin and Woods he did exactly what Rex did in the press conference last week.. said it's very close and then without prompting said "and Hogan is right there with them."

Agreed on IK and Buchanon they are now both likely to make it unless one of the young DEs jumps out in the remaining games.

Wouldnt read anything into this staff talking up players in camp. It's clearly part of their philosophy to use the spector of neutral and tight competition to motivate players. Edited by JTSP

Wouldnt read anything into this staff talking up players in camp. It's clearly part of their philosophy to use the spector of neutral and tight competition to motivate players.

When the Head Coach and the receivers coach both talk a guy up as not just saying he has done some nice things but he is "right there with Woods and Harvin" within a week of each other and then they put him out on the field with the starters in the first pre-season game I take that as a pretty strong hint. I think they like him and I'd be amazed as well as disappointed if he is cut.

When the Head Coach and the receivers coach both talk a guy up as not just saying he has done some nice things but he is "right there with Woods and Harvin" within a week of each other and then they put him out on the field with the starters in the first pre-season game I take that as a pretty strong hint. I think they like him and I'd be amazed as well as disappointed if he is cut.

And theres a recent article where they chatted up the entire roster of WRs. Saying how it will be hard to cut any one of them.

"Its a strong competition, Lal said. Everyone in the group, theyre all talented, but they bring different skill sets. So on any given day you see someone excel at a certain route, which is a good thing to see. The group as a whole is taking the coaching, the technique and the scheme, and applying it on the field."

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08/15/bills-facing-a-tough-call-at-receiver/

And BTW what did hogan do with his chance with 1st teamers? An ugly drop that was Cassell's only incompletion. Hardly the impression one wants to make if we're to believe the competition is this tight.

Edited by JTSP