Predict the 53

And theres a recent article where they chatted up the entire roster of WRs. Saying how it will be hard to cut any one of them. And BTW what did hogan do with his chance with 1st teamers? An ugly drop that was Cassell's only incompletion.

We will soon see. If Hogan has drop problems in the remaining pre-season games then it could change things but unless that happens I believe he will make this roster and the coaching staff have backed that at every stage.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2014 playing in 10 games he had 1 catch. What exactly does he bring over a guy who in 16 games had 41 catches?

It has me baffled as well Mark. But apparently despite putting up very decent 3rd receiver numbers in a team with Quarterback issues last year Hogan is "no more than a number 4" and guys like him are "ten a penny".

Basically what is happening here is a number if people, some of them excellent contributors to this board, backed themselves into a corner on Hogan in the Hogan vs D'Rick debates of a couple of summers ago and cannot bring themselves to move from those positions.

It has me baffled as well Mark. But apparently despite putting up very decent 3rd receiver numbers in a team with Quarterback issues last year Hogan is "no more than a number 4" and guys like him are "ten a penny".

Basically what is happening here is a number if people, some of them excellent contributors to this board, backed themselves into a corner on Hogan in the Hogan vs D'Rick debates of a couple of summers ago and cannot bring themselves to move from those positions.

You may be onto something. Pride is a silly thing sometimes. Goodwin hasn't shown much, yeah he runs fast in a straight line but his hands aren't that great, he isn't a great route runner and at this point in his career hasn't shown anything beyond speed. Hogan can play the slot, can play split wide, can run routes very well and typically holds onto the ball. So I'm not sure how Goodwin is a better bet than hogan

Same. It's either going to be Tyrod/EJ , Cassel/Tyrod or EJ/Tyrod

After seeing Tyrod Friday, I think Cassel becomes expendable as a back up

I agree with the Cassel is odd man out. I think the other two bring way more to the table.

Nice roster---Hogan cant go to the practice squad but he will stick. I see Goodwin as the odd man out. He doesnt do anything in space all he is is a one trick pony. The quarterbacks are dead on. With our solid roster and depth this is probably one of the easiest seasons to pick 53.

- so here is the shocking cut--Fred Jackson. We have loaded up on backs. I hate to even say it but at 34, injuries every year and losing a a few steps its time for his release. My seasons are on the 50 ten rows up so ive seen him thru the years up close and personal---if anyone says he hasnt lost a step is delusional. The only way he stays is an injury to another back occurs.

You may be onto something. Pride is a silly thing sometimes. Goodwin hasn't shown much, yeah he runs fast in a straight line but his hands aren't that great, he isn't a great route runner and at this point in his career hasn't shown anything beyond speed. Hogan can play the slot, can play split wide, can run routes very well and typically holds onto the ball. So I'm not sure how Goodwin is a better bet than hogan

^^^THIS^^^

Duke Williams is going nowhere and nor should he. His play came on massively last year and Rex has already says he feels like Duke is basically a 3rd starter at the safety position. His ability to come up into the box to play the run will be popular with this staff I would imagine. Take out that horrible game against Gronkowski and New England where he was simply overmatched and Duke has been pretty good for us.

I go the other way... I still don't think Thigpen makes this team and Easley will only be on the bubble if they feel they have sufficient special teams studs to compensate for his loss - at this stage I am not convinced.

I know he's not going anywhere. But, as I said, I would't miss him. I feel like he loses his man too often. Maybe I have painted him unfairly for mistakes from last season, but I'm not so sure. He looks like he gets out-smarted in man coverage. I'd be happy to be wrong.

Wasn't Thigpen a special teams powerhouse at the end of last season? I know he isn't as established as Easley. But, he sure has been visible this preseason. Kinda looks like they're neck and neck.

They do different special teams things though don't they? Thigpen is a return guy, Easley is a gunner. I suppose it depends who else they think can handle return duties and/or the gunner job. If neither Thompson or Goodwin makes the team they might need Thigpen's return abilities.

QB: Taylor, Cassel, Manuel (Taylor looks like he may be the starter).

RB: McCoy, Jackson, K. Williams, Dixon (tough call on Brown, but he fumbles and is not better than Dixon on ST).

FB: Felton.

TE: Clay, O'Leary (plus two vets yet to be signed).

WR: Watkins, Harvin, Woods, Goodwin, Easley (Hogan has not performed well; Thompson to the PS squad).

OT: Glenn, Henderson, Kuoandjio.

OG: Incognito, Miller, Richardson.

OC: Wood, Urbik.

K: Carpenter.

P: Schmidt.

LS: Sanborn.

KO/P Returner: Thigpen (you gotta take difference-makers).

DT: Dareus, K. Williams, Bryant, Charles.

DE: M. Williams, Hughes, Lawson, Enemkpali, Carrington (Wynn out for the year).

LB: Brown, Bradham, Spikes, R. Johnson (Powell has a torn ACL; sign B. Spikes).

CB: Gilmore, McKelvin, Darby, Robey, Lankster, Brooks (Lankster beats out Butler, etc.).

S: A. Williams, Graham, D. Williams, Meeks, Rambo.

Good guesses here.... Still reads like the roster of a 5-7 win team...

No QB... Queston marks at TE and CB... Like us at Safety...LB is OK... DE/OLB looks good.... RB looks like it could be okay.... No fireworks to speak of... 9 W's would be miraculous.

Good guesses here.... Still reads like the roster of a 5-7 win team...

No QB... Queston marks at TE and CB... Like us at Safety...LB is OK... DE/OLB looks good.... RB looks like it could be okay.... No fireworks to speak of... 9 W's would be miraculous.

Have you been paying attention???

QBs (all three of them) have performed better than expected vs Carolina.

Are you calling Charles Clay a question mark?

McCoy/Jackson/Williams "could be okay?"

9 Ws last season. Are you saying we have regressed? Really???

Edit: Ooops! You were being sarcastic, weren't you?

Edited by Rocky Landing

Have you been paying attention???

QBs (all three of them) have performed better than expected vs Carolina.

Are you calling Charles Clay a question mark?

McCoy/Jackson/Williams "could be okay?"

Edit: Ooops! You were being sarcastic, weren't you?

NOPE.

No playoff calibre QB's in this bunch.... Whether or not one can emerge is anyone's guess...

I really don't know about Charles Clay... That's my honest opinion based on everything i've seen of him the last couple of years... I'm witholding final judgement 'til I see #85 in a few games.. There are definitely other question marks at the TE position..

Not sure how much more Fredex can take either... Would love to hang on to Boobie.. Brown is a cut...

Edited by #34fan

I really don't know about Charles Clay... That's my honest opinion based on everything i've seen of him the last couple of years... I'm witholding final judgement 'til I see #85 in a few games.. There are definitely other question marks at the TE position..

In 2014 Clay was ranked 89 on top 100 players in the NFL. He is a mismatch that can line up anywhere

Sure, the ninth win count's, but it shouldn't since the Patsoes didn't GAF about that game.... They were already headed to the playoffs where they would eventually win another SB as our guys watched from home.... Not saying we regressed.... But I don't think we got significantly better...

Hogan won't be PS eligible and regardless he wouldn't make it there. If the Bills cut Hogan he would not clear waivers not a chance in hell. He was a starter (3rd receivers and 3rd CBs are basically starters now) for most of last season for the Bills and he would start for at least a third of the league.

We would be beyond crazy to cut him. Regardless of what the "guys like Hogan are ten a penny" crowd thinks.

Please. He would not start for a third of the league.

Please. He would not start for a third of the league.

You don't think he would at least be 3rd on the depth chart for a third of teams in the league? You obviously haven't seen the 3rd receivers some teams are going to be trotting out. If we are talking old fashioned #1 and #2 WR are the only two starters then I agree.

Edited by GunnerBill

Does it matter if he qualifies as a #3 or a #4 on a team that will be playing 2 WR sets almost exclusively. And where Percy Harvin is the #3?

Keep in mind that last season the Bills did not have a healthy #1 WR for much of the year, no running game and a more effective passer at QB then the throwers they have now and that impacted the amount of PT and production Hogan had.

And in all seriousness.......what separates Hogan from journeyman David Nelson? Despite his speed he makes less plays downfield and doesn't offer a particularly large target by big WR standards.

I wish it wasn't so but if Hogan played to his athletic numbers he'd be a #1. Something is missing.

I don't disagree that he would put up very good numbers with a great QB but I think that makes him particularly special.

I won't be surprised either way if he makes it or gets cut.