Bring Back Spikes--edit signed with ne***

Well, just checked his Twitter feed and he was in Charlotte today. Not sure if there's anything connected to the Panthers, but he was spotted at a mall and was RTing people who saw him.

He lives just outside of Charlotte in Gastonia. About 30 minutes from Charlotte. Grew up there and still lives there. Triple Threat isn't far and has ran in to him at least once, among others. I don't get that way often but want to bump in to him.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the Bills signing guys like John Connor, at an area that is already over-crowded, the fact that Spikes is still out there (despite openly pining to return), and plays a position where the Bills might be considered a little thin, leads me to believe that Rex and co. just don't think Spikes is what we think he is. I just don't see it happening now...

With the Bills signing guys like John Connor, at an area that is already over-crowded, the fact that Spikes is still out there (despite openly pining to return), and plays a position where the Bills might be considered a little thin, leads me to believe that Rex and co. just don't think Spikes is what we think he is. I just don't see it happening now...

Yes and no-

You sign spikes, his salary is likely higher than Conner and guaranteed. Conner is "insurance and see what happens" while signing spikes is "commit to filling a starting lb position"

That said, that he's still floating out there does likely point to very little interest from us. Could be he wants 4m and we would only offer 2m, could be we just don't want him. I don't think Conner changes either much. We aren't hurting for spots in the 90

Yes and no-

You sign spikes, his salary is likely higher than Conner and guaranteed. Conner is "insurance and see what happens" while signing spikes is "commit to filling a starting lb position"

That said, that he's still floating out there does likely point to very little interest from us. Could be he wants 4m and we would only offer 2m, could be we just don't want him. I don't think Conner changes either much. We aren't hurting for spots in the 90

$4mm? there is no way Spikes and camp can justify that.

He got $3.25mm for 2014. He got that and saw his performance increase only because his time and demands increased. In his first 4 games he looked pretty good in pass coverage, actually like he was in the right environment for using his abilities. But, overall, he is still a specialized type of LB that is perfect for the run. He didn't always stop the run but he made sure that he let the next guy do it - Preston Brown benefited majorly from him and that is a very large reason he had success. Spikes swallowed up blockers and offensive coverage.

Realistically, Spikes would be good to get another $3mm for 1 year and should hope to get a 2 yr deal for about $2.5mm. If I am the Bills I bite the bullet and do a fully guaranteed contract for 2 years at $2.25 with a $500k bonus due next year and an option for a 3rd yr with that being paid as $1mm as a contract and a bonus of $2mm due in April. That would be a very good investment for both teams and he would be 30 at the end of it.

$4mm? there is no way Spikes and camp can justify that.

He got $3.25mm for 2014. He got that and saw his performance increase only because his time and demands increased. In his first 4 games he looked pretty good in pass coverage, actually like he was in the right environment for using his abilities. But, overall, he is still a specialized type of LB that is perfect for the run. He didn't always stop the run but he made sure that he let the next guy do it - Preston Brown benefited majorly from him and that is a very large reason he had success. Spikes swallowed up blockers and offensive coverage.

Realistically, Spikes would be good to get another $3mm for 1 year and should hope to get a 2 yr deal for about $2.5mm. If I am the Bills I bite the bullet and do a fully guaranteed contract for 2 years at $2.25 with a $500k bonus due next year and an option for a 3rd yr with that being paid as $1mm as a contract and a bonus of $2mm due in April. That would be a very good investment for both teams and he would be 30 at the end of it.

I was just shooting off the cuff, and it was easier to throw out 2 vs 4 as a quick example than to give a detailed thought out number.

I think he finds some middle ground somewhere and gets an ok deal. The league minimum crowd I think is off base.

I was just shooting off the cuff, and it was easier to throw out 2 vs 4 as a quick example than to give a detailed thought out number.

I think he finds some middle ground somewhere and gets an ok deal. The league minimum crowd I think is off base.

So, would you sign him at my suggested deal? Is it worth it to you? What is the contract you offer? The contract he would take?

So, would you sign him at my suggested deal? Is it worth it to you? What is the contract you offer? The contract he would take?

No idea what he wants or how he views all this which makes it harder to project if he's more likely to go after a 1 year or long term security at a lower than desired level.

I'd have no problem with that deal but also would be upset if he passed. So I guess that means it's probably about fair by my book.

Another question that's likely fair to ask but not of dire consequence: did we overpay last year?

No idea what he wants or how he views all this which makes it harder to project if he's more likely to go after a 1 year or long term security at a lower than desired level.

I'd have no problem with that deal but also would be upset if he passed. So I guess that means it's probably about fair by my book.

Another question that's likely fair to ask but not of dire consequence: did we overpay last year?

We overpaid for the player and the on the field product but we got fair value when you add in leadership, his role with the team and the mentoring given to other players. Preston Brown may look back and owe his career to Spikes, especially if he is average this year, it was Spikes who let an average player emerge.

Well, just checked his Twitter feed and he was in Charlotte today. Not sure if there's anything connected to the Panthers, but he was spotted at a mall and was RTing people who saw him.

he lives there, at least part of the time. He's there a lot.

Does anyone else remember how bad we were at stopping the run the season before we brought in Spikes?

True, but we also went to a wide 9 4-3 defense, which fits his strengths, but not sure if he can cover which is needed in rex's game.

I like Spikes and loved how we plugged up for once the run, but he may not fit this scheme. That's probably why they have not signed him as he is cheap.

I lost a lot of respect for him seeing as how he blindly supports Hernandez, who has shot multiple people and by all accounts is a terrible human being.

Hernandez was his teammate and friend and Spikes likely did not know and could not believe he was truly murdering people. What happens every time someone does something crazy? The news goes and interviews people who knew him who say "I can't believe it, he was pretty normal!"

Very rarely do people who knew crazy people say, after the fact, "Yes, I knew his ass was crazy the whole time."

Hernandez was his teammate and friend and Spikes likely did not know and could not believe he was truly murdering people. What happens every time someone does something crazy? The news goes and interviews people who knew him who say "I can't believe it, he was pretty normal!"

Very rarely do people who knew crazy people say, after the fact, "Yes, I knew his ass was crazy the whole time."

Try actually reading what I said. After all the evidence has come out, as well as multiple homicide charges, Spikes complained about the guilty verdict. This is not an eyewitness new interview, this was disbelief at someone being convicted based on all the evidence that indicated he killed someone.

Spikes is a linebacker built for a different NFL era, stopping Christian Okoye/Jerome Bettis types from running all over the field. If this were the late 80s/early 90s, Spikes would be a full time starter with 100+ tackles every year.

But it's not like that today.

Ironically, he's the type of linebacker suited for stopping the the 2015-2016 Bills offense.

If we don't bring him back, I see a team we play this season signing him. If our run forever offense does well, teams are going to need Spikes-like linebackers to stop it.