What Would It Take To Get Mettenberger?

It looks like the Titans attempt to deal for Phil Rivers is going to fall through.

This means there is a good chance (according to Peter King/MMQB) that they will take Mariota at #2.

I think they like Mettenberger, but I don't know what they're going to do with him if they have drafted a franchise QB. The kid has talent, although he doesn't have the mobility that Roman supposedly covets. Could he be had for a second or a third?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000430265/Week-11-Zach-Mettenberger-highlights

Discuss.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no reason for them to trade Mettenberger who would probably start this year if they drafted Mariota

Which of the 3 Bills QBs would you cut if they did acquire Mettenberger or any other QB? EJ isnt going anywhere, Cassel is their vet and all we've heard about Taylor who I believe they gave guaranteed money to is how much they like him.

I've never gotten the ZM hype. He was surrounding by NFL wrs in college (including one who had one of the greatest rookie receiving seasons ever), played for a veteran NFL OC, and was never dominating. He had a 30.1 QBR as a rookie. Manuel had a 42 his rookie year. Also, he has been questionable off the field as well.

IMO, Manuel has more upside. Still, at worst, they are very similar in terms of their development. And from the Tennessee side, even if they get Rivers, you still want a backup with NFL experience.

If a team ever gave up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a 6th rounder with a 30 QBR, that GM should be fired on the spot.

Why not keep both QBs. If one turns out to be better you keep the other one as the backup and a trade chip if some other team is willing to make a generous offer.

That is something that smart teams & teams that win would do is keep both just incase .

Hey thats something the Pats would & have done for years !!

I've never gotten the ZM hype. He was surrounding by NFL wrs in college (including one who had one of the greatest rookie receiving seasons ever), played for a veteran NFL OC, and was never dominating. He had a 30.1 QBR as a rookie. Manuel had a 42 his rookie year. Also, he has been questionable off the field as well.

IMO, Manuel has more upside. Still, at worst, they are very similar in terms of their development. And from the Tennessee side, even if they get Rivers, you still want a backup with NFL experience.

If a team ever gave up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a 6th rounder with a 30 QBR, that GM should be fired on the spot.

Agree... 100 % and the guy is no leader. Don't get the media driven hype for this guy

They'll keep Mettenberger. Best case, they repeat what the Chargers did with Brees & Rivers. ZM is dirt cheap and they can allow Mariota to develop while ZM plays, if Mettenberger flames out they plug Mariota in, if he doesn't they've got a decision to make.

I like Mettenberger quite a bit. I saw a ton of him at LSU and once he started working with Cam Cameron he became an NFL prospect. He was horrible prior to that IMO. He has a big arm, played in a pro style and was good in big games. I would not at all be surprised if he ended up as a good NFL QB. He reminds me of Derek Carr some (I'm not really sure why). It isn't a definite that he will be a player but I was really, really impressed the way that he played his last year at LSU. His receivers were great (as they always are at LSU). The receivers there were good last year too (watch out for Malachi Dupre he is going to be a monster) and they could not get the requisite QB play.

I would much rather Mettenberger than Mike Glennon and I would imagine that the compensation would be similar. I think that he has a chance to be like a less mobile Tannehill. I would have no problem at all dealing any of the picks that the Bills have after the 3rd for him. I like ZM more than any QB in this draft except for Jameis and Mariota.

He was a 6th rd pick and 0-6 for the games he started. I would think Tenn takes Mariota or trades for Rivers.

I'm not sure that record is the best indicator for a young QB (any young QB). That team that he is on is AWFUL. Quick tell me 5 guys on that Titans team that would start on the Bills? Searcy maybe (Duke may have passed him), Lewan, Warmack and maybe a LB. They have about 3 guys that would start on our team.

It's so hard to draft a good QB in the 1st rd . I would be very envious if a team found one in the 6th like Brady.

If Tenn has confidence in Z Mett, they should trade the 2nd pick for as many draft picks/players they can get to fill some of there other needs.

Edited by ALF

I'm not sure that record is the best indicator for a young QB (any young QB). That team that he is on is AWFUL. Quick tell me 5 guys on that Titans team that would start on the Bills? Searcy maybe (Duke may have passed him), Lewan, Warmack and maybe a LB. They have about 3 guys that would start on our team.

Good point, but on paper, they should have a better oline.

And Wisenhunt is overrated but I'd take him over Marrone/ Hackett all day.