Most Reviled Coach of the Bills

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it's gotta be Marrone with Gregg a close second.

Donahue was blown away by Greggo's binder, so he hired him over Marvin Lewis. SMH!

Except TD wanted Lewis, and Lewis was TD's first choice. Lewis kept dragging out the process, and would not commit.

TD had no choice but to move on.

Kay Stephenson should be coach of the 80's decade for two 2-14 seasons that earned us Bruce, Jim and many others that led to the glory years.

Bill Polian in NFL Films' "caught in the draft" for the 85 draft provided a remarkable revisionist history n Stephenson. Polian said the team leadership all considered trading the stockpile of picks for proven talent that would save everyones job. According to Polian, Stephenson put his foot down in the interest of principle for the long term benefit of the franchise and said they were going to rebuild the right way through the draft even if it costs us our jobs.

People mentioning Kay Stephenson and Mike Mularkey in the same breath as Hank Bullough or Harvy Johnson are "confusing results with effort". The Bills roster, especially when Stephenson was there, was bottom of the barrel. No coach could have won with that group... and absolutely nobody wanted to play for the Bills in those days. He didn't have the luxury of rebuilding with free-agency, and, to be frank, he had an owner who was not interested, at that time, in paying any vetrans to stay...

Harvey Johnson. Man, those were disfunctional days...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_Johnson_(coach)

"It was speculated that Johnson's love of thoroughbred horse racing, a passion he shared with owner [/size]Ralph Wilson, allowed him to stay on the Bills payroll despite his poor performance in coaching..."[/size]

He was before my time, but if he was more incompetent than Kay Stephenson then there ought to be a law against him.

People mentioning Kay Stephenson and Mike Mularkey in the same breath as Hank Bullough or Harvy Johnson are "confusing results with effort". The Bills roster, especially when Stephenson was there, was bottom of the barrel. No coach could have won with that group... and absolutely nobody wanted to play for the Bills in those days. He didn't have the luxury of rebuilding with free-agency, and, to be frank, he had an owner who was not interested, at that time, in paying any vetrans to stay...

I don't know. Stephenson too over a team one year removed from the playoffs. Within 2 years they were the worst team in the league.

I have been paying attention to the Bills since the early '70s and there has not been a less respected head coach than Hank Bullough. The players openly mocked him. We are talking Talley, Smerlas and Smith here.

I remember this and it's interesting because Bullough was one of the most influential defensive minds of his era.

I'm surprised a lot of people are mentioning Gailey. When he came here Buffalo had one of the worst squads in

their history. No one got more out of CJ Spiller. I agree his biggest fault was being to loyal to his

assistants, especially on the defensive side of the ball. I agree that his best position might be offensive

coordinator. I guess I liked him because he was a class act and when he was fired, left thanking everybody and

said he would always be a bills fan. Good guy.

My memory is going downhill - fast. But, I do remember a game against a Jauron Bears team where we were ahead 21-0 in the 4th qrtr. The Bears finally crossed the 50 but got stopped on 3rd down. What did Jauron do? You are correct - he kicked a FG. When we hired him, I lost respect for his fellow Ivy Leaguer, Marv. Jauron seemed like a nice guy but just didn't get it.

Last year was the first time in a long time that I was enjoying the whole season. I was upset when Marrone left and didn't blame him for trying to double dip, who here wouldn't. The last time I watched a meaningful game in December was I think when Malurkey couldn't beat the steelers backups. I think the resentment of Marrone is a little unwarranted. A coach is paid to win and last year he did just that.

I think Williams is the coach that just refused to adjust to the talent he had.

Dick Jouron was the most frustrating coach by a long shot. His try hard undersized roster set the team back years

Saint Doug since of entitlement is by far the hardest to swallow. He came here with a very thin resume and acted like he was Bill Parcells. Looking back someone should have noticed his character flaws during the vetting or the interview process.

Kay Stephenson deserves a lot of credit. On the mocking the draft they showed Pollian telling a story that he went to Kay and said we are loaded with picks . I can trade them for established players and we can get much better. Kay said no we owe it to Ralph to do what is best for the long term

You think Saint Doug would have done that ?

Kay Stephenson should be coach of the 80's decade for two 2-14 seasons that earned us Bruce, Jim and many others that led to the glory years.

We just didn't appreciate the tank back then like we do now.

As far as "most reviled", have to go with Bullough. Stevenson was bad, but he tried and wasn't a bad guy. Bullough, as others have pointed out, was bad and not even respected by the team. Has to be right at the top of the worst head coaches in this team's history.

Marrone was a jerk, but he did put this team in the right direction (with a lot of help, of course, so can't really give him too much credit).

I don't know. Stephenson too over a team one year removed from the playoffs. Within 2 years they were the worst team in the league.

Well, it is tough to replace a starting QB, your star running back, your top two receivers (one to retirement, the other to injury) and your leading pass rusher all in one season...and I know it is not popular to right now, but the owner was in one of his "Ralph is cheap" modes, part of what drove the border-line HOF coach Chuck Knox away...the Knox era teams were built with aging veterans sprinkled throughout their roster..thet were built to win it all in 1980, 1981 and 1982, not when Stephenson took over.

Edited by Buftex

I don't understand the Jauron hate. He seemed like a really good guy, who the players also really liked.

In hindsight, his teams' talent was crap. His boring, conservative philosophy was what squeezed 7 wins a year out of 2-win type teams.

I don't miss living in fear that every top draft pick was going to be a DB.