Breaking down how LeSean McCoy fits new Bills offense

http://billsmafia.com/2015/04/15/breaking-down-how-rb-lesean-mccoy-fits-in-buffalo-bills-new-offense/

"With Greg Roman's offense based on a lot of power/gap blocking principles, some questions regarding McCoy's fit have arisen, given that hes spent his professional career playing in Andy Reid's West Coast and Chip Kelly's up-tempo spread offenses that were predominantly zone-based schemes."

Edited by YoloinOhio

We will make a credible run threat behind top flight 2013 season rusher McCoy backd by Bills spiritual and former credible #1 Bills RB Jax backing him up under past successful ground and pound OC Roman.

Howewver this credible threat should create huge opportunities for a receiving game difficult (if not near impossible) to match up with given the talents of Watkins, Harvin, Clay and even Woods (when we decide to go 3WR or empty backfield sets.

Off the top, opposing DCs will wantto commit at least 7 (if not 8) of 11 defenders to stop the run, but if Harvin, Watkins demand 4 or a commitment to single cover them, the D will simply be a man (or 2) short in matching the Bills.

I think his best move is the fast juke after the gets through the line, without losing speed. (ironically that was CJ's best move too, only he doesn't quite have the vision to get to that point as well as Shady)

If you're a strong safety or LB coming in a little late because you were playing pass and you try to nail him after he's through the line, the best you're going to get is a shot at an arm tackle.

I think his best move is the fast juke after the gets through the line, without losing speed. (ironically that was CJ's best move too, only he doesn't quite have the vision to get to that point as well as Shady)

If you're a strong safety or LB coming in a little late because you were playing pass and you try to nail him after he's through the line, the best you're going to get is a shot at an arm tackle.

I just feel that CJ Spiller isnt at the same level as Shady when it comes to field vision......I mean not even close

You know, I assumed he was a speed back. I didn't realize he was an honest to god between the tackles finesse back.

I really am excited to see what kind of offense we have next year. Even if we go power, he have so much speed at every postion.

he is a major upgrade to Spiller as an overall RB. He might still bounce it outside some but if our OL can block for him with the new scheme and with Felton leading the way, we are automatically so much better than last year.

I like Spiller and think he will do very well in that NO offense in the "Darren Sproles" role with Ingram, but he lacked vision, blocking, etc. as a bellcow type RB.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I just feel that CJ Spiller isnt at the same level as Shady when it comes to field vision......I mean not even close

It seems a lot of that has to do with the offenses they ran at college. In the I form there is a much greater need for the back to have keen vision and awareness for holes and cutbacks. Spiller is a spread offense get out in space early type. His speed was almost to his detriment in a way as he would get to the line before the whole even opened up, and then would bounce it outside. Fred oftentimes running behind the exact same group would hit the whole running downhill because his pace and vision were better. I wish we had figured out how to use him as I'm sure the Saints will, but McCoy is a healthy combination of the two. He doesn't have Spiller's speed but far more vision and ability to break tackles.

You know, I assumed he was a speed back. I didn't realize he was an honest to god between the tackles finesse back.

I really am excited to see what kind of offense we have next year. Even if we go power, he have so much speed at every postion.

Glad to have you with us !

I was a doubter too.

It seems a lot of that has to do with the offenses they ran at college. In the I form there is a much greater need for the back to have keen vision and awareness for holes and cutbacks. Spiller is a spread offense get out in space early type. His speed was almost to his detriment in a way as he would get to the line before the whole even opened up, and then would bounce it outside. Fred oftentimes running behind the exact same group would hit the whole running downhill because his pace and vision were better. I wish we had figured out how to use him as I'm sure the Saints will, but McCoy is a healthy combination of the two. He doesn't have Spiller's speed but far more vision and ability to break tackles.

Fred looked slower sometimes , just because of split second patience. I am not talking about the last two years under Marroon either.

He just knew when to accelerate and when to get thin

Shady's vision is among the best ever. His other uber elite skill is making the first guy miss. When that first guy is a linebacker or corner three yards beyond the line of scrimmage, he is absolutely deadly.

http://billsmafia.com/2015/04/15/breaking-down-how-rb-lesean-mccoy-fits-in-buffalo-bills-new-offense/

"With Greg Roman's offense based on a lot of power/gap blocking principles, some questions regarding McCoy's fit have arisen, given that hes spent his professional career playing in Andy Reid's West Coast and Chip Kelly's up-tempo spread offenses that were predominantly zone-based schemes."

McCoy is like Mario Williams...

He is so good he fits into any scheme, and if he doesn't you'd better change your scheme cause its not very good.

If that article is accurate, it looks like Freddy may see the bulk of the 3rd down passing situation plays.

It says Shady is good with screens, but doesn't excel in the passing game (too many drops/not crisp routes).

Plus it doesn't sound like he's a great pass protector either. Freddy excels in both of those areas.

Other take aways:

LeSean's first cut in the third video on the page and the cut that left the two Giants safeties standing still in the fourth video

were sick. Looking forward to seeing those moves in a Bills uniform for the next 3-4 years (at least).

And being in Roman's system may actually keep LeSean from bouncing it outside too much (an alleged knock against him). It appears that he

knows how to follow and use his blockers. In the last video on the page, it looks like maybe a TE or an O-lineman in an H-back

position leads for Shady, who follows him through the hole and then cuts nicely off his back. With Felton, Clay, and maybe Boobie

lead blocking, he might have more confidence that the designed path will be open and follow his blockers through traffic rather than

bouncing it outside.

Can't wait to see what Roman's staff can do with all of this talent. I'm excited just to see how he utilizes the backs: Shady, Fred, Felton,

Boobie, Bryce. And that's not even thinking yet about Clay and our stacked receiving corps. And I have confidence that (finally) we have a coaching staff

that will know how and when to use their players properly.

After watching McCoy In a few games last year i came away thinking that the Eagles blocking wasn't anywhere near as good as it had been without their starting O line players. The line still ranked as the #2 unit in the league just behind the Cowboys. Still, it says a lot to me that McCoy was a non factor in a bunch of games because of the bad blocking by the backup linemen.

While everyone else seems to be excited about the upcoming season, I still have strong reservations concerning the blocking by the Bills front five. It won't matter how great the FB blocks if the line doesn't open the initial hole. The FB is there to take on the second level blockers, and not the 300 lb defensive line players. If there is no hole you can expect to see McCoy try to break it outside just like Spiller has so many times.

While I still feel coaching is everything, and things should to get a lot better with this new coaching staff. I was just wanting the Bills to sign Brian Bulaga, Jahri Evans, and my all concerns about this years offense would be gone.

If that article is accurate, it looks like Freddy may see the bulk of the 3rd down passing situation plays.

It says Shady is good with screens, but doesn't excel in the passing game (too many drops/not crisp routes).

Plus it doesn't sound like he's a great pass protector either. Freddy excels in both of those areas.

Other take aways:

LeSean's first cut in the third video on the page and the cut that left the two Giants safeties standing still in the fourth video

were sick. Looking forward to seeing those moves in a Bills uniform for the next 3-4 years (at least).

And being in Roman's system may actually keep LeSean from bouncing it outside too much (an alleged knock against him). It appears that he

knows how to follow and use his blockers. In the last video on the page, it looks like maybe a TE or an O-lineman in an H-back

position leads for Shady, who follows him through the hole and then cuts nicely off his back. With Felton, Clay, and maybe Boobie

lead blocking, he might have more confidence that the designed path will be open and follow his blockers through traffic rather than

bouncing it outside.

Can't wait to see what Roman's staff can do with all of this talent. I'm excited just to see how he utilizes the backs: Shady, Fred, Felton,

Boobie, Bryce. And that's not even thinking yet about Clay and our stacked receiving corps. And I have confidence that (finally) we have a coaching staff

that will know how and when to use their players properly.

Rex has already said McCoy will be playing third downs . Not coming out much at all. He is the bell cow. Good.

Shady's vision is among the best ever. His other uber elite skill is making the first guy miss. When that first guy is a linebacker or corner three yards beyond the line of scrimmage, he is absolutely deadly.

That was one thing I would have liked to see more of from Spiller. Shoestring tackles seemed to bring him down a lot; he seemed to lack the ability to make a guy miss (McCoy) or the ability to somehow keep churning and make 3 to 4 yds out of nothing with guys draped all over him (FredEx)

The gouge I heard is that McCoy can really block. Seems to me I saw a few clips of him just leveling guys.

I found the article interesting, but for a chap who doesn't excel in the passing game and has too many drops (per that article) it's important to realize that McCoy had 52 receptions for 539 yds in 2013. He was targeted 64 times, giving him an 81% catch rate which is d**n good for a WR let along a running back. Last year was 75% (used much less) and 2012 80%.

So I'm not sure where the author got the idea he doesn't excel in the passing game - unless he means he just doesn't run routes like a WR, which in fact he is not and shouldn't be needed as since we have a stable of good to great WR.

Those are very good numbers

another reason why McCoy wasn't a good choice, should have ponyed up the same money for Demarco Murray

I will wait and see on McCoy. Not much else to do at this time anyway. The questions about scheme fit are definitely a concern for me - especially considering his contract and what the bills gave up for him. He's going to have to run well between the tackles or a lot of people are going to be complaining that he became a CJ clone.

another reason why McCoy wasn't a good choice, should have ponyed up the same money for Demarco Murray

did you read the article? It talks about why he was a good choice.

I will wait and see on McCoy. Not much else to do at this time anyway. The questions about scheme fit are definitely a concern for me - especially considering his contract and what the bills gave up for him. He's going to have to run well between the tackles or a lot of people are going to be complaining that he became a CJ clone.

did you read the article either lol? He is a scheme fit, and does run between the tackles.