NBA Playoffs

YoloinOhio

Oh crap, yes, I stand corrected. I had blocked that ridiculous Washington "comeback" out of my mind.

His last six "meaningful" seasons ended in championships.

Youre not alone. Its funny how those wizard years have been forgotten by many sports fans, and all they remember is that steal off malone and jump shot to drop the jazz

Edited by JTSP

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost exclusively against the Pistons (another all-time team), and earlier in his career. Jordan's last six pro seasons ended in championships.

MJ is still the greatest of all time, no matter what LeBron says.

I'm not arguing with you about Jordan's greatness - I grew up rooting for the Bulls (before MJ) because their name was close to the BILLS and they had Orlando Woolridge (ND connection). But the situations the two players have been in aren't at all similar. Before the Bulls went on their runs, there were always really good teams in the East to make sure they didn't make the finals (Celtics and then Pistons). They also never faced a team in the finals that should have beaten them. Not once. People can argue that the Blazers had more individual talent but that team was unbelievably weak mentally.

What Lebron has done is partially because the East has been weak for a long time and partially because he's such a unique player (bigger, more physical/athletic/fewer holes in his game version of Magic). He's an amazing player who a lot of people don't like because of the few missteps he's taken and how the media covers individuals now.

I can't imagine how MJ would be portrayed in this era because his dickishness is very well documented.

Every great player of the previous era had at least two other players with them when they were dynastic. Cleveland in the Finals has had precisely none.

I'm not arguing with you about Jordon's greatness - I grew up rooting for the Bulls (before MJ) because their name was close to the BILLS and they had Orlando Woolridge (ND connection). But the situations the two players have been in aren't at all similar. Before the Bulls went on their runs, there were always really good teams in the East to make sure they didn't make the finals (Celtics and then Pistons). They also never faced a team in the finals that should have beaten them. Not once. People can argue that the Blazers had more individual talent but that team was unbelievably weak mentally.

What Lebron has done is partially because the East has been weak for a long time and partially because he's such a unique player (bigger, more physical/athletic/fewer holes in his game version of Magic. He's an amazing player who a lot of people don't like because of the few missteps he's taken and how the media covers individuals now.

I can't imagine how MJ would be portrayed in this era because his dickishness is very well documented.

Every great player of the previous era had at least two other players with them when they were dynastic. Cleveland in the Finals has had precisely none.

What he said!

I am not 100% convinced either way, who is/was better, Jordan or James...they are both amazing players.

I am 100% certain James takes way too much ****...and I admit, when he dumped Cleveland for Miami, I hated him as much as anyone...but his return to Cleveland gave me tremendous respect for him. He did something that almost no athlete, particularly one of his stature, would do, in this day and age.

He has definitely had some PR miscues over the years, but most of them have come from issues of maturity, rather than character. He's a fantastic athlete, an amazing basketball player, and a pretty good kid too...

Edited by Buftex

I haven't really been following this thread all that much so I don't know if you're a real Cavs fan or not, but if it were me I'd want to see the championship clinched live, regardless of who won.

Different sport, but in 2006 I had tickets to the Stanley Cup Final down here in Carolina because I had bought tickets to the Eastern Final and it was a package deal.

I sold the tickets to the first three games because I was so upset over the Sabres' loss, but swallowed my pride and took a buddy to Game 7. Although I had intense dislike for the Canes, watching a Cup-clinching performance and the post-game ritual was something I'll never forget.

Yeah, I'm now 3 for 3 in going to Game 6s. Stanley Cup (no goal) in 1999, this one, and the only one with the home team and my team winning - Yankees World Series in 2009 (although that one I would have seen either way - since we also had tickets for game 7).

It really is cool to see the championship won.

Me and a couple of my buddies tossed the idea around of making the short trip to Cleveland not so much to get tickets to an actual game but just to take in the party atmosphere especially if we could time it during a clinching game but with real world duties nobody really has the time or funds to go through with it. We all pretty much agreed if we were back in our early 20's we would've went 100%. One thing I've never gotten to experience in my life is being in a city during a Sports championship victory. Ideally I want the first time to be for either a Bills or Sabres championship or to a lesser extent a Chicago Bulls title(they've always been my favorite basketball team growing up in the MJ era) but the thought of just hanging out in Cleveland(and no I would not be parading around in Cavs gear pretending im a fan and my team just won) did sound pretty cool

The prices of the tickets for this game were a rollercoaster. Whenever it looked like this might be a clincher for the Cavs - they skyrocketed. And, then after games 4 (when they looked bad) and game 5 (when they definitely were not going to win it in Game 6), the prices plummeted.

Everybody wants what you're talking about.

What he said! I am not 100% convinced either way, who is/was better, Jordan or James...they are both amazing players.

I am 100% certain James takes way too much ****...and I admit, when he dumped Cleveland for Miami, I hated him as much as anyone...but his return to Cleveland gave me tremendous respect for him. He did something that almost no athlete, particularly one of his stature, would do, in this day and age.

He has definitely had some PR miscues over the years, but most of them have come from issues of maturity, rather than character. He's a fantastic athlete, an amazing basketball player, and a pretty good kid too...

As usual, you wrote the way I think about something.

What he said!

I am not 100% convinced either way, who is/was better, Jordan or James...they are both amazing players.

I don't care much for the argument myself because the sport is so different based on the position you play. Era's are so different as well it really makes is impossible to compare players.

Bill Russell dominate his era playing center and is thought of as the consummate winner and one of the greatest defenders of all time. He was on a team that was absolutely loaded and before free agency. John Havliceck, Bob Cousy, and 4 other Hall of Famers. He also was 6'9" and 220 and dominated the paint. LeBron is bigger than that and plays SF.

Jordan is thought of as the reason the Bulls won 6 championships. They won 57 games the year before his hiatus. They won 55 without him and, if not for a poor ref call, could have made it back to the NBA Championship.

I don't know why they have to be stacked in any particular order. What I do now is I just saw a player strap a team on his back like I never had before. That said even the best player on the planet (he is) can't do it alone. This is where LeBron has gotten screwed. Playing in the unbelievably bad East every year helps him have an easier path to the Finals. Once he gets there though he has to play a team that has battled through the Western Conference and is already battle tested. Looking at his 2 Finals with the Cavs nobody was picking them to win. Especially this year after Kyrie went down. His first year with the Heat he learned a ton and was a different player the next 2 Finals. It isn't surprising that they won. His last year with the Heat DWade was a shell of himself and I still can't believe the shooting exhibition the Spurs put on.

He makes the Finals with sub-par teams sometimes and unfortunately it seems to be tinting some people's perception of his legacy. The East is so bad...

I don't care much for the argument myself because the sport is so different based on the position you play. Era's are so different as well it really makes is impossible to compare players.

Bill Russell dominate his era playing center and is thought of as the consummate winner and one of the greatest defenders of all time. He was on a team that was absolutely loaded and before free agency. John Havliceck, Bob Cousy, and 4 other Hall of Famers. He also was 6'9" and 220 and dominated the paint. LeBron is bigger than that and plays SF.

Jordan is thought of as the reason the Bulls won 6 championships. They won 57 games the year before his hiatus. They won 55 without him and, if not for a poor ref call, could have made it back to the NBA Championship.

I don't know why they have to be stacked in any particular order. What I do now is I just saw a player strap a team on his back like I never had before. That said even the best player on the planet (he is) can't do it alone. This is where LeBron has gotten screwed. Playing in the unbelievably bad East every year helps him have an easier path to the Finals. Once he gets there though he has to play a team that has battled through the Western Conference and is already battle tested. Looking at his 2 Finals with the Cavs nobody was picking them to win. Especially this year after Kyrie went down. His first year with the Heat he learned a ton and was a different player the next 2 Finals. It isn't surprising that they won. His last year with the Heat DWade was a shell of himself and I still can't believe the shooting exhibition the Spurs put on.

He makes the Finals with sub-par teams sometimes and unfortunately it seems to be tinting some people's perception of his legacy. The East is so bad...

Great take!

He's only got one year left on his current deal. Cap blows up after 2016. Opting out would mean leaving CLE.

No, he will continue to sign one year deals (bigger than his option by a little) until the cap goes crazy. That has been the plan since before the season.

I havent been a basketball fan since the 80s, but I watched a bunch of the playoffs this year and dug it.

Yeah, the game is in a great place right now. Edited by Kirby Jackson

No, he will continue to sign one year deals (bigger than his option by a little) until the cap goes crazy. That has been the plan since before the season.

Yeah, the game is in a great place right now.

Agreed. After MJ retired after the last 3 peat I like many others quit watching the sport pretty abruptly. And it wasn't just Jordan retiring, alot of the other great 80s/90s players were starting to leave and the NBA went through a transition phase. I started watching again more seriously back in 2009/2010 as the Bulls were starting to become a legitimate team again and at the same time the league itself was starting to get very compelling and interesting and I've been really enjoying the NBA again ever since. Also have to give LeBron his props for bringing back basketball fans in droves

Yeah, the game is in a great place right now.

Is there any chance he'll ditch Cleveland again? I got a bad feeling when he said he has a "secret motivation" to win the championship this year.

Both of these guys needed a great supporting cast. Jordan had Pippen. In Miami James needed even more.

In the context of pure excitement. the Jordan era was hard to beat with the exception of Magic/ Byrd and those teams.

lebron, well he has some baggage after crapping on his hometwon. i quit watching for years. The sport was just a look at me league. But, year got into the playoffs when my Warriors finally looked like they could win it all.

KLove is as good as gone though.

I'd say it's 80/20 that he stays in Cleveland. It makes more sense for both sides despite the struggles. Will he opt in or will he sign the 5 year $100M deal? My guess is that he bets on himself and he opts in hoping for a bounce back year and then sign a max when the cap escalates. It's possible that he is concerned about his health and locks in the $100m deal now. It is definitely likely that he is back in Cleveland though.

If he isn't back I think that it comes as a sign and trade. One of the rumors down here was a sign and trade of Ryan Anderson & Tyreke Evans for Love. Personally, I wouldn't be a fan because I don't think that Love can defend at all. There are some rumors like that out there but the Cavs are certainly the favorite.