Sammy about EJ: "That's my guy"

scribo

Sammy came out strong yesterday in support of EJ, saying EJ put in a lot of work and is indeed throwing the ball better, adding EJ has "been the complete leader."

“That’s my guy,” Watkins said in his press conference yesterday. “I believe in him 100 percent."

"I told him, 'I'm with you 100 percent, whether you're the starter or not.”

How much do we read into this? Does this affect the competition? Does it affect anything else if EJ doesn't emerge as the starter? Interesting.

Edited by scribo

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't mean much in terms of whether or not EJ will win the job, but it certainly reflects acknowledgment from a teammate that he has put in a lot of hard work.

I still can't fathom how any true Bills fan would not want EJ to win this job in convincing fashion.

"I told him, 'I'm with you 100 percent' whether he is the starter or not.”

starter or not won't help his confidence, but good try

Both quotes put together:

Sammy on EJ, "EJ is stepping up. He's come back and worked on his footsteps. A different guy. That's my guy. I believe in him 100% & I told him that whether he's the starter or not. He's a totally different guy." #Bills

EJ knows it is up to himself to win this starting job. That said, kind words, and confidence from your teammates always helps.

Edited by What a Tuel

At minimum it beats what we were hearing about EJ at this time last year.

The real question is has EJ made real progress or has the vibe at OBD just changed from pessimist Doug to optimist Rex?

Only time will tell. His problems were more than mechanical though, so he has a lot to prove. He has more to prove than Cassel.

Both quotes put together:

Sammy on EJ, "EJ is stepping up. He's come back and worked on his footsteps. A different guy. That's my guy. I believe in him 100% & I told him that whether he's the starter or not. He's a totally different guy." #Bills

EJ knows it is up to himself to win this starting job. That said, kind words, and confidence from your teammates always helps.

That's a tweet from Chris Brown. And it is terrible. Quote marks around words mean those exact words were said in that exact order. But those are not the exact words nor exact order.

That's a tweet from Chris Brown. And it is terrible. Quote marks around words mean those exact words were said in that exact order. But those are not the exact words nor exact order.

what do commas mean?

If you have the actual interview that would be great. Otherwise I'm not sure what you are arguing.

Secondly, I just put the two quotes from Yolo's thread together, so they might not be in the right order. Just combining Sammy's quotes about EJ.

"EJ sucks. He's not accurate and his timing is way off."

What's he supposed to say? I wouldn't read too much into it

I was never a fan of this argument for most player quotes. Although I don't think it is in Sammy's character, he can bad mouth him, or slip up and say something negative. Half of the NFL story lines are of that sort. He can also say nothing or very little. He didn't need to elaborate on EJ working hard or being a "different" man.

I wouldn't take it as everyone believes Manuel is the starter now. I would take it as his teammates having faith that he can turn it around and it is up to him to be successful.

Edited by What a Tuel

I'm certainly not saying he was suppose to say something different. He could have said a lot less though. Again, not saying he should have said less. But saying "that's my guy" is powerful.

If you have the actual interview that would be great. Otherwise I'm not sure what you are arguing.

Secondly, I just put the two quotes from Yolo's thread together, so they might not be in the right order. Just combining Sammy's quotes about EJ.

the link to the interview is in Scribo's OP. I haven't watched it yet but it is possible that Chris Brown strung quotes together in the wrong order or combined quotes for effect on Twitter.

I have seen many reporters do this with interviews , in fact. It's pretty confusing at times.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The full video of the press conference, which is where these quotes come from, is linked in the original post on this thread. What you posted is the exact tweet Chris Brown sent out yesterday. I am not blaming you. I am just noting that Chris Brown, who is a journalist, should know better than to put a paraphrase inside quote marks.

I think it was a great statement by Sammy. He supports ej in his development. He is impressed with his work and improvement. I think the players were likely also impressed with how he handled the benching in a professional manner and positive attitude. He kind of had to say "if he is the starter or not" because he has to support Cassel too and he can't just support one guy; no one knows who will be the starter in September.

I also think that the young guys are pretty good friends. They have been posting pics of going out since they have been back in town - Woods, Sammy, EJ, Goodwin, and Caleb Holley was there too. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing (CJ mentioned EJ was hesitant to call guys out) but that's likely another reason he spoke out in his behalf.

Edited by YoloinOhio

the link to the interview is in Scribo's OP. I haven't watched it yet but it is possible that Chris Brown strung quotes together in the wrong order or combined quotes for effect on Twitter.

I have seen many reporters do this with interviews , in fact. It's pretty confusing at times.

The full video of the press conference, which is where these quotes come from, is linked in the original post on this thread. What you posted is the exact tweet Chris Brown sent out yesterday. I am not blaming you. I am just noting that Chris Brown, who is a journalist, should know better than to put a paraphrase inside quote marks.

Ah sorry, I assumed it was just the quotes I read yesterday and didn't click the link. My bad.

Only time will tell. His problems were more than mechanical though, so he has a lot to prove. He has more to prove than Cassel.

True. Cassel has proven that he's no more than a backup. EJ has yet to prove that a backup is the best he can be.

But if he said "he's working on some things; we all are". I'm pretty sure people would read that as the text you have quoted.