Ike Taylor ranked Moulds as 3rd hardest WR to cover, ever

Moulds wasn't underrated by anyone. Well known pro bowler, size, speed, strength, hands, work ethic.

Could play underneath, sidelines, long balls, run blocking, mentoring young players.

Dominant in many games, usually the best athlete in the stadium. Well respected if not flat out feared by defenses.

With the scouting and film the NFL teams have at their disposal, everybody is pretty much rated right where the game film says they should be. Moulds wasn't a secret, he was our best offensive player for a long time.

Fun Fact. Moulds Peerless and Josh Reed ranked in top 50 receiving corps all time in the NFL by bleacher report.

Edited by Webster Guy

Moulds is the best example of why it can be foolish to declare a player a bust even after two-su8bstandard draft and second years. His case is extreme, but even among seemingly average players or other positions there are many examples of QBs that got cut (Brad Johnson got asheaped twice and then QB'ed an SB winner) declared busts like Trent Dilfer who got lifted to the SB with a superb D and merely adequate play by him, or even QBs drafted in the 3rd (Montana) or 6th round (Brady) who became among the best.

The best hope for the Bills "simply" to make the playoffs is NOT for EJ to play like the vet he isn't, like Cassel to play like did before 10 years of hits and a couple of severe injuries, or

tyrod and Brad Wildcatting us to glory. The key is D.

I recall listening to an interview, and I forget which corner or defensive player was being interviewed, but when asked who was the most difficult player at that time to cover, they responded Stevie Johnson. I guess he ran routes in an unorthodox fashion.

He was difficult to cover because of the routes he ran, however he just couldn't catch, hang on to the damn ball.

He was difficult to cover because of the routes he ran, however he just couldn't catch, hang on to the damn ball.

He's the only receiver in Bills history with back-to-back 1,000 yard seasons. He could catch.

Yeah, but Taylor never had to cover Stevie "What the hell is he doing?" Johnson.

I'm surprised he only has Moss at #2. Moss may have been a complete head-case, but he was an unbelievable talent.

didn't Taylor play against stevie in the god made me drop the football game?

My biggest complaint about Moulds, was that somewhere along the way, he started focusing (too much) on drawing penalties, and yapping at officials, rather than making the effort to catch balls.

toward the end he would do this all the time. If the corner was anywhere near him he would give up and signal for a flag. Pissed me off because my brother studied him when he was a receiver and would also do this during his games. Go get the ball and the penalty won't matter

Moulds was so underated by those outside WNY and I would even say by a lot of people in WNY at this stage in time. He was a dominating receiever when he broke out that gave us some great memories. I will never forget his catch in the "just give it to em" game and his record setting performance against the Dolphins in the Playoffs. Sadly both those games ended in heartbreak but I don't think we would have even been in a position to get our heart broke if Moulds wasn't on the team.

I recently watched highlights of this game. The crazy thing is, he had a 20-something yard TD taken away bc they said he was out of bounds! It was very close, so could have gone either way. Imagine if that was added to his game totals.

Also, that draft class was ridiculous for WRs. I want to say Keyshawn went #1, TO in the second round, Harrison to the Colts, Moulds, and I think one other big time guy. I wonder if Moulds thinks about how easily he could have had Peyton Manning for his entire career instead of the mess he endured in Buffalo. Definitely the main reason he is so underrated.

Edited by ko12010

I remember seeing something where TO was interviewed in his prime and asked the best receivers in the game not including himself. He list only two or three and Eric Moulds was on this list. He called him "very underrated".

I know exactly what your talking about. Either 2003 or 2004 in an NFL Countdown segment on ESPN they interviewed T.O. and asked him who he thought the best 3 WR's in the game were, He said Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison, and Eric Moulds and talked about how underrated he was. Apparently they used to also play some basketball together during the offseason. Moulds was a tremendous all around athlete, its a shame he never got a chance to play in an offense where he could shine...One thing I will always remember vividly about Eric Moulds was when we were playing against Baltimore and Bledsoe threw a pick that was being returned, Willis McGahee was in perfect position to make the tackle and just quit on the play, it looked like the returner was going to take it back for a Touchdown but then you see Moulds come flying down the other side of the field and makes the tackle to save the touchdown. The reporters asked him about that play after the game and he just said that he played with Bruce and Thurman and Andre and he learned not to ever quit when your out on that field and when you put on a Bills uniform you are representing those that guys that he played with and you could tell he sincerely had the utmost respect for those guys, very similar to the way Rex has embraced our football history. The whole thing gives me the goosebumps to this day

He's the only receiver in Bills history with back-to-back 1,000 yard seasons. He could catch.

wow really? So having 996 means you can't catch after having 1400 yards the year before right? When a wr reaches 1000 yds, do we automatically win said game right then and there? So important that 1000 yard mark! Oh and do the several game losing drops get erased as well??? Seriously. Edited by enlightener

I know exactly what your talking about. Either 2003 or 2004 in an NFL Countdown segment on ESPN they interviewed T.O. and asked him who he thought the best 3 WR's in the game were, He said Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison, and Eric Moulds and talked about how underrated he was. Apparently they used to also play some basketball together during the offseason. Moulds was a tremendous all around athlete, its a shame he never got a chance to play in an offense where he could shine...One thing I will always remember vividly about Eric Moulds was when we were playing against Baltimore and Bledsoe threw a pick that was being returned, Willis McGahee was in perfect position to make the tackle and just quit on the play, it looked like the returner was going to take it back for a Touchdown but then you see Moulds come flying down the other side of the field and makes the tackle to save the touchdown. The reporters asked him about that play after the game and he just said that he played with Bruce and Thurman and Andre and he learned not to ever quit when your out on that field and when you put on a Bills uniform you are representing those that guys that he played with and you could tell he sincerely had the utmost respect for those guys, very similar to the way Rex has embraced our football history. The whole thing gives me the goosebumps to this day

good post

I recall listening to an interview, and I forget which corner or defensive player was being interviewed, but when asked who was the most difficult player at that time to cover, they responded Stevie Johnson. I guess he ran routes in an unorthodox fashion.

Should have been Revis

Ike Taylor? Is this supposed to mean something??

Kind of just like a jerk post. Whether Ike Taylor was a good NFL CB or not (I haven't broken down all his game film as you apparently have), wouldn't he still be able to say how good guys he covered were? I would think even if he sucked, he would still be capable of having an opinion as to how difficult guys were to cover and that playing as long as he did, yes that opinion does mean something.

Edited by metzelaars_lives