Greg Roman going to pull a Mike Pettine?

Believe me, I've considered the idea. He has been considered before, especially after the 49ers deep runs the past few years. It could happen, but if it does, it means that he does something special with the offense with an average (at best ) QB. And if we get that, with a defense even close to as good as last year, that's a playoff team.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Pettine doesn't regret his short tenure, and hasty departure from the Bills a little bit? Head coaching opportunities open up every year, and 2014 saw HC turnover in Cleveland, Detroit, Houston, Minnesota, Tampa, and Washington. If Pettine had waited the obligatory two years (and assuming we still had the 9-7 season- a reasonable expectation), Pettine could have been interviewing for the Falcons, Bears, Broncos, Jets, Raiders, and 49ers, and very well could have ended up HC for the Bills. All of those options look like better gigs than tending a dumpster fire in Cleveland. Even the Raiders are looking ascendant.

I wonder if Pettine doesn't regret his short tenure, and hasty departure from the Bills a little bit? Head coaching opportunities open up every year, and 2014 saw HC turnover in Cleveland, Detroit, Houston, Minnesota, Tampa, and Washington. If Pettine had waited the obligatory two years (and assuming we still had the 9-7 season- a reasonable expectation), Pettine could have been interviewing for the Falcons, Bears, Broncos, Jets, Raiders, and 49ers, and very well could have ended up HC for the Bills. All of those options look like better gigs than tending a dumpster fire in Cleveland. Even the Raiders are looking ascendant.

Hindsight is 20/20. Personally, I'd jump at my first HC opportunity.

its also possible he couldve been held in limbo and not allowed to interview elsewhere after marrone left and been left scrambling for a gig after a lot of stuff filled.

im sure cleveland isnt ideal, and i think that waiting a year could have proven to be a smart choice.... but theres no promise.

Hindsight is 20/20. Personally, I'd jump at my first HC opportunity.

The mistake Pettine made was not taking the Browns job it was in letting himself be rail roaded by people who were not his GM into the selection of Johnny Manziel. I don't think he was ever comfortable with it and actually the Browns season unravalled pretty much as soon as Hoyer had a game bad enough for the "play Johnny" calls to begin.

The mistake Pettine made was not taking the Browns job it was in letting himself be rail roaded by people who were not his GM into the selection of Johnny Manziel. I don't think he was ever comfortable with it and actually the Browns season unravalled pretty much as soon as Hoyer had a game bad enough for the "play Johnny" calls to begin.

I agree but it was going downhill before that. Hoyer just wasn't good enough.

His owner is still his boss. You hope he isn't going to meddle, but if he says jump, you say how high or quit.

Biscuit is correct, Hoyer was playing very poorly. He totally collapsed.

Greg Roman is going to have to prove himself to me darn it. I'm not against being optimistic. In fact, I encourage it. But Roman has not done as much in the NFL as some around here give him credit for. Harbaugh was the clear leader of the "three NFC Championship games" offense in SF, and even then, their supposedly super talented QB undoubtedly regressed. I like the way SF ran the ball during the Harbaugh years. But they should have done that well - the o-line was stacked with a good blocking/pass catching TE, they had a very professional runningback, and a quarterback who needs flame retardant footwear becuase he runs so fast.

I always thought that Belicheck planned for his coordinators to move on. Notice how the Pats usually promote, not hire. He tells his QB coach, Hey, we're going to be good, other teams are going to hire our coordinators as HCs, so you're next. Be prepared.

If Buffalo wants success, this is what should happen. Expect it, and prepare for it.

He would have got a HC job in the 9ers Superbowl year had they lost earlier in the play-offs. He was hot property back then. He is in a different situation than Pettine in that Roman has had interviews every year over the past 3 or 4 which could work for him in that he is already in the minds of many but could work against him in that those guys who get look after look and never land one sometimes end up being passed by trendier "hot" names of the moment. It happened to Mike Zimmer and he then went a few years without looks before his sheer excellence as DC at Cincy forced him back into the picture.

Yeah, I mean people forget we also interviewed him for HC

Yeah, I mean people forget we also interviewed him for HC

I think this is important. My guess would be Rex is scheduled to be a lifer for the Bills.

Roman will move on. Its a good thing though. He develops someone like Rex did Pettine and now Thurman. its the natural progression. and someting a head coach can be proud of. They are of course a minute group and want each of the apprentices to succeed.

except Maroone, he is a dickweed

I think this is important. My guess would be Rex is scheduled to be a lifer for the Bills.

Roman will move on. Its a good thing though. He develops someone like Rex did Pettine and now Thurman. its the natural progression. and someting a head coach can be proud of. They are of course a minute group and want each of the apprentices to succeed.

except Maroone, he is a dickweed

I'm pretty sure that was why they hired Kromer as the OL coach, because he has oc experience and they have a succession plan in place if Roman gets a HC gig

I'm pretty sure that was why they hired Kromer as the OL coach, because he has oc experience and they have a succession plan in place if Roman gets a HC gig

This is yet another thing that has me pretty stoked about the Bills FO. They seem to have a long term plan and build in contingencies.

Its almost bizarro world but much better.

I agree with you. i think that Whaley has been entrusted , and rightfully so.

This NOT the Bills we are used to o'er these many years.

Greg Roman was on the John Murphy Show tonight:

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/audio/Roman-This-group-has-a-chance-to-be-special/01f13be0-897f-4d23-9c61-bdd223cf0cd4

I'm thinking Roman is trying to become the Pettine to Rex's Marrone. I'd thought about it previously, but this interview just re-enforced the idea in my head. In particular, the part where he stresses that he's coached every position, on offense and defense, and "that was by design." His end game is HC. If he has a good year on offense with his "organized chaos" -- and our O goes from bottom-of-the-league, to a respectable squad -- I think he's going to one-and-done us.

To be fair, that's probably the mindset of a lot of coordinators around the league.

No way do I think his rise is this fast. Pettiness stepped into a very difficult situation and may learn to regret it.