Grade Whaley's Job Performance So Far  

265 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Whaley's Job Performance So Far

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Pretty simple question, how do you think he's performed so far in building a team? He came on to the Bills in 2010, as Assistant General Manager/Director of Pro Personnel.

Lots of debate on the quality of his moves in general, so let's hear what your grade is, and why.

I'm giving him a B so far.

We have, what could arguably be the best defense in the league on paper. We have lots of young talent at key positions on Offense. YET, we have a major hole at QB, and our OL is weak. Quite possibly the most important positions in the NFL.

That being said, finding a top 5 QB is easier said than done... so I can't fault him *too* much on that, considering who has been available to us the last couple years. But I can fault him for a weak OL.

Edited by Dorkington

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went B but it is a high B. QB & OL need to improve but it isn't 100% on him. He tried to get Bulaga & McCown (not sure that he is better than Cassel) and they went elsewhere. If he can still get another starting caliber OL than the only hole (and its a big one) is QB. It is hard to get one of those.

He drafted three OL last season, to date only one has worked out pretty well. But want to see how all of the players look under different set of coaches. I think alot of their issues was due to the coaching staff more than the players, will find out soon.

As to QB, easier said then done to find a great one or even a good one.

Overall I gave hi ma B, but if it turns out the line plays wel lthis year with the same basic cast, I'd change grade to an A

Pretty simple question, how do you think he's performed so far in building a team?

Lots of debate on the quality of his moves in general, so let's hear what your grade is, and why.

We have, what could arguably be the best defense in the league on paper. We have lots of young talent at key positions on Offense. YET, we have a major hole at QB, and our OL is weak. Quite possibly the most important positions in the NFL.

That being said, finding a top 5 QB is easier said than done... so I can't fault him *too* much on that, considering who has been available to us the last couple years. But I can fault him for a weak OL.

I gave him an A. Like you said there has not been much available the last couple years at QB, so it's not like he passed up R. Wilson to draft TJ Graham. As far as the o-line, I will wait to see what the new staff is able to do with them. There were a lot of reports saying the old staff were telling the line several different things, so could have been just plain old bad coaching. If B+ was an option I would have choose that, for the fact the Bills may have overpaid for Clay, but also realizing that he was a perfect fit for Roman's offense. We shall see.

Pretty simple question, how do you think he's performed so far in building a team?

Far too soon...should at least wait until after this Draft. I think I understand where you're coming from and essentially what you're trying to get at, but still can't really effectively evaluate DW until the end of this year's Draft. IMHO

He drafted three OL last season, to date only one has worked out pretty well. But want to see how all of the players look under different set of coaches. I think alot of their issues was due to the coaching staff more than the players, will find out soon.

As to QB, easier said then done to find a great one or even a good one.

Overall I gave hi ma B, but if it turns out the line plays wel lthis year with the same basic cast, I'd change grade to an A

the only possible knock to that theory being that picking the coach may have partially landed on his shoulders. but given the weird dynamic its hard to say how much credit/blame he gets that offseason with nix retiring after the draft.

essentially my "high b" was that he seems to do very well where we can judge him and a lot of the troubles have been in hazy spots. because of that not giving a perfect grade, but like the roster a lot.

Up to this point, I'll give him an A... Turned a roster lacking in talent, into one of the most talented in the league, I know it dosent equate to wins and losses yet, but since the umbilical was cut from Budday Nix, he has done an outstanding job of infusing talent and changing the culture! Helped to land a worthy coach(time will tell), and staff, and given this organization an attitude of doing whatever it takes, he works well with the owners too... I'm encouraged!

A to this point. Keeping Hughes, getting McCoy, drafting Preston Brown, and Watkins. Lack of QB is easily explained: there are no "top" QB's he passed on. He got arguably the best one available last year (Orton), and the best available this year (Cassel, who has been to a Pro-Bowl). OL fix was attempted in FA, but the players and money eventually went elsewhere. 3 OL drafted last year who should improve, and I expect OL will be fixed later in FA and during the draft. This roster has improved every year he has been here.

Id give him a B+/A-, went with A in the poll.

I like his aggressiveness and his ability to make deals. I think he has a knack for identifying talent, especially on Defense, and double-especially at LB. He seems to have an idea on how a team should be built, and is working to execute that plan. It just so happens, that team style seems to fit perfectly in a town like Buffalo, so even better. So far, I feel like he has done the best he could with the options and resources available at the time. We'll see how it all works out on the field, but I believe he's put us in a good position to succeed.

Got to be an 'A'... .I don't know how we can ask for anything more from our GM? He's aggressive and making logical moves at every step. He can't solve the QB issue by sheer force of will, but making every effort to make that work as well.

At the end of the season discussion was about how he was on the the "shaky ground" with the new regime, Polian returning and the "power struggle" between him and Marrone. He has kicked the ass of every bit of that narrative.

Well done and this is the first time I can think of that I'm thrilled with both of our GMs at the same time. I wouldn't want anyone other than Whaley and Murray!

The product on the field has to perform, but that's Rex's job. Whaley's put him in a position to succeed

Edited by cage

A- when its come to bringing talent and an identity to this team, I think he's been one of the best in the league. Only decisions that I really question is drafting EJ (which very well could have been his predecessor) and Kujo. But in all fairness is way to early to tell on either. He hasn't really been given the option of snagging a solid qb up to this point so I can't really complain about that either. So what has he done? Given us a top 5 defense. Given us our first winning record in a decade. And assembled what is (at least on paper) a potentially explosive offense.

I'd like give an I for incomplete until we see what happens with this team under Ryan. I think he's done a fantastic job, but you can't confuse effort with results...so until playoffs = C

:nana:

Edited by jeremy2020

Far too soon...should at least wait until after this Draft. I think I understand where you're coming from and essentially what you're trying to get at, but still can't really effectively evaluate DW until the end of this year's Draft. IMHO

This thread will be collecting dust by then, so it's not like we can't do another :)

A- when its come to bringing talent and an identity to this team, I think he's been one of the best in the league. Only decisions that I really question is drafting EJ (which very well could have been his predecessor) and Kujo. But in all fairness is way to early to tell on either. He hasn't really been given the option of snagging a solid qb up to this point so I can't really complain about that either. So what has he done? Given us a top 5 defense. Given us our first winning record in a decade. And assembled what is (at least on paper) a potentially explosive offense.

Question:

Instead of drafting EJ (who he traded *back* for and picked up an extra pick), what should we have done with our pick?

A. Means he found a QB, obviously he didn't.

B. Means we went to the playoffs finally, still haven't.

C. Means he has done a good enough job to retain talent needed and adding other talent. Giving a team a chance at a future.

Edited by Beef Jerky

A. Means he found a QB, obviously he didn't.

B. Means we went to the playoffs finally, still haven't.

C. Means he has done a good enough job to ratain talent needed and adding other talent. Giving a team a chance at a future.

Brilliant.

I'm a little concerned about chemistry.

-- Freddy Jackson is a leader in the locker room and has been the team's #1 RB for several years. McCoy is obviously the #1 now. Jackson is a pro but this might be tough to deal with for him, or for other players to accept. If McCoy struggles behind the O line, I can see this situation dividing the team.

-- Adding Percy Harvin could be a great move, with three outstanding athletes (Watkins, Harvin, and Clay) and a very skilled professional (Woods) challenging defenses. But Harvin has been poison for locker rooms. Last year Jackson would have taken him aside and told him what's what -- but with Jackson's role reduced, will that still work? Who will be the guy to keep Harvin in line?

I'm also worried about depth. Kiko would have been a great fit in Ryan's defense. I get it that they gave up some defensive skill (a whole lot of defensive skill) to get a threat at RB. Also that we have really good starters across the board on defense, possibly excepting safety where Duke Williams still has to convince me. But no team gets through a year without injuries. I think we're lacking good depth at LB, DE, and even DT. When Dareus went out late last year, the D line was not nearly as good. Losing Mario or Marcel or Kyle would make the defense a lot less dangerous. Losing two of those three would make it pretty average or worse.