Would you trade for Andy Dalton?

If you read what I said then it is clear that if Brees or Rivers are options I would not settle for Dalton. I don't think you are reading my posts. I am not advocating Andy Dalton. If you stop deciding what I think based on that incorrectly perceived bias it will aid your understanding. If the Buffalo Bills miss the play-offs again in 2015 due to sub standard Quarterback play then they have to do whatever they can within reasonable limits to get better. If that means losing some talent to get an ageing top Quarterback they should do it. However, if one of those very top guys is not available then what they need is a less drastic upgrade, but an upgrade nonetheless to allow them to make the play-offs in 2016 whilst they draft a guy for the future and then do not have to rush him to start day 1. Dalton's contract makes him one of the few mid-tier guys that then becomes an option - because the cap hit in 2016 and 17 wouldn't force you to ditch a large amount of talent to afford him and you can cut him after 1 or 2 years with very little dead money as all his fully guaranteed money was paid in 2014.

I would neither trade for nor sign Andy Dalton, ever. I would draft a rookie in the first round of the 2016 draft and play him if it came down to it. The reason is because I want the Bills to win the Superbowl and I don't think that Dalton will ever win one or be in one for that matter.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would neither trade for nor sign Andy Dalton, ever. I would draft a rookie in the first round of the 2016 draft and play him if it came down to it. The reason is because I want the Bills to win the Superbowl and I don't think that Dalton will ever win one or be in one for that matter.

Nor do I. But I think this idea that we draft our guy in 2016 and throw him straight to the wolves and it's sink or swim is likely to set us back. We will need, in my view, a placeholder. That is all I am in favour of thinking of Dalton as (though a pretty solid placeholder who has shown he will get you in play-off contention).... and his contract allows him to be thought of that way because it is conducive to that kind of plan. If Manuel or Cassel get us to the play-offs this year (or we don't get there but it is because something else other than QB play holds us back) then I am happy to continue to ride that guy as a placeholder and hell if EJ tears it up (unlikely but not impossible) maybe we have our guy already.

Edited by GunnerBill

Nor do I. But I think this idea that we draft our guy in 2016 and throw him straight to the wolves and it's sink or swim is likely to set us back. We will need, in my view, a placeholder. That is all I am in favour of thinking of Dalton as (though a pretty solid placeholder who has shown he will get you in play-off contention).... and his contract allows him to be thought of that way because it is conducive to that kind of plan. If Manuel or Cassel get us to the play-offs this year (or we don't get there but it is because something else other than QB play holds us back) then I am happy to continue to ride that guy as a placeholder and hell if EJ tears it up (unlikely but not impossible) maybe we have our guy already.

Dalton doesn't think he's a placeholder, he thinks he's good. It would never work because of that. The only placeholder type is a guy like Cassel who knows he's only there a few games before they put the rookie in.

Let's just hope EJ Manuel takes off with Roman and forget about this stuff until we see he can or can't do it under this new coaching star and phenomenal talent on offense. I think more and more that Manuel's going to look good this year and rubber stamp "idiot" on Marrone's head. I think he's a man on a mission.

Edited by 1billsfan

If that were the case (idt we have a guy like that now), then absolutely. If a current player a not a fit, why not

That's where I fall- if we find the right value and stars align, sure. But he's not a guy I go after with no care to the cost

I'll just add, I doubt either of us picture trading kiko a year ago. Who knows.... Maybe we have a guy that paired with a pick ends up making sense. I doubt cincy deals him regardless though

I think Dalton is below the "Alex Smith" line. I think that With an Alex Smith level of QB play they could win a Super Bowl. Here are the guys that I think could lead this Bills roster to a championship: Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Wilson, Rivers, Luck, Manning, Manning, Flacco, Roethelisberger, Ryan, Newton, Alex Smith and Romo.

Then there are some "wild cards" that have question marks but at their best can certainly get the job done: Kaepernick, RG3, Cutler and Bradford.

The next tier is the I just don't know guys: Tannehill, Dalton and Foles. I'm just not sold on Tannehill yet.

I personally think guys like Kaepernick, RG3, Cutler and Bradford are the "bottom tier" and Tannehill, Dalton and Foles are the second tier guys. Foles has already made the playoffs with Mccoy and a worse defense. Dalton makes the playoffs every year with a team thats far inferior to the Bills at least on paper (although, he doesnt exactly play like a star QB). Tannehill is mediocre for sure, but definitely has potential to be a top ten QB. Kaepernick, RG3, Cutler and Bradford are all bums. They all have had success at some point, but they either are injury prone (Bradford/RG3), or are divas (Kap/Cutler), and the years where they were unsuccessful, they straight up sucked.

I personally think guys like Kaepernick, RG3, Cutler and Bradford are the "bottom tier" and Tannehill, Dalton and Foles are the second tier guys. Foles has already made the playoffs with Mccoy and a worse defense. Dalton makes the playoffs every year with a team thats far inferior to the Bills at least on paper (although, he doesnt exactly play like a star QB). Tannehill is mediocre for sure, but definitely has potential to be a top ten QB. Kaepernick, RG3, Cutler and Bradford are all bums. They all have had success at some point, but they either are injury prone (Bradford/RG3), or are divas (Kap/Cutler), and the years where they were unsuccessful, they straight up sucked.

Just to be clear it isn't a 2nd and 3rd tier. Those middle tier guys are the guys that can if playing at their best (the boom or bust tier if you will). They have too many question marks to be up a level. The 3rd tier guys are the fringe guys to me. They have less talent than the 1st group and less question marks than the 2nd group. They are less boom or bust (the 2nd group) and not quite at the level of the 1st group.

Dalton is a 3rd tier guy in this league. The tiny bit of difference between 3rd tier and the rest of the pack is not that much. That people are debating this so steadfast is amazing because IMO he's no where near worth what it'd likely take to get him, though, he is better.

Dalton doesn't win when he needs to with all of the talent in the world helping him on offense.

Tier 1: Brees, P. Manning, Rodgers, Brady, Roethlisberger, Rivers

Tier 1.5: E. Manning, Luck (I think most would easily consider them Tier 1 but I cannot give it to them).

Tier 2: Ryan, Romo, Flacco, Wilson, Newton, Cutler

Tier 3: Carr, Tannehill, Dalton

Tier 4: Everyone else.

Yet you are in full support of EJ Manuel, yeah, ok whatever! :rolleyes:

Dalton has certainly made it to the playoffs more often than our current QBs, so I wouldn't be opposed. But I also don't see him winning a SuperBowl without an elite defense, and strong special teams.

Edited by Dorkington

I don't really want Dalton, or think he is very good, I just thought that was a funny thing for Lord Dorkington to say... ;)

Same. But, I sorta agree with Dork, I don't see Dalton winning a Super Bowl unless his team has blue jerseys and pays NYS taxes.