"Win one before Grandpa dies..."

stevestojan

Gramps was a die hard Bills fan. He was Serbian, and proud as hell of it. He was a war veteran. He owned a house in Colden, just down the street from Kissing Bridge, and directly next door to his tavern which he owned for over 5 decades, "Danny's Inn." It's changed name several times since, but it will never be Danny's Inn again. The food was great (especially the wings), the skiiers loved him, and he made a living for his family (yes, he had many Bills players as regulars, and Mr. Ralph Wilson and him were friends, but he loved the regulars - and when his family showed up? Holy hell, the pride in his face.... ).

The house next door, his for 70+ years, was humble. But it was where I celebrated every Christmas Eve - and humble house and blue collar living or no, there were more presents than anyone could count. It was also the place where I watched Mr. Norwood miss that kick by what seemed like a centimeter. Possibly the last time, tonight excluded, that I can remember crying.

It's where he told me, at a very young age "Stevie, don't stick your finger in ****, because it stinks." This was his way of telling me not to hang out with the wrong crowd. Best advice I have ever received.

He loved his family. He loved telling good jokes. He loved telling REALLY bad jokes. But he was always our biggest fan and supporter.

He was our partiarch.

Tonight, he passed away. Gramps, tonight, you'll be able to see again, you'll be able to walk without pain, and you'll have the most delicious icy cold can of Blue and shot of Crown ever made.

I always wanted the Bills to win one before Grandpa died, but now I just want him to be happy, and I have absolutely no doubt he is.

Edited by stevestojan

I'm very sorry for your loss. Your post nearly moved me to tears. If someone else already hasn't been nominated to write his obituary, you certainly should. I'm borrowing the "finger in ****" quote and I will give him credit anytime I use it. It's pure gold.

RIP

It's where he told me, at a very young age "Stevie, don't stick your finger in ****, because it stinks." This was his way of telling me not to hang out with the wrong crowd. Best advice I have ever received.

And yet, you're here. :D

I'll tip one for him and others this evening, with a nice big Go Bills.

Shame to think of all the folks we have lost collectively on this board who never saw a Buffalo Championship. It's coming though, and hopefully they will be tipping one together when it does.

A fine tribute well written.

Agreed

Sorry for your loss Steve. Sounds like a good man who passed along a lot.

Sadly, this thread title would probably be more realistic if it wished "Win one before our grandchildren die". You only missed by a few generations.

Sorry for your loss. Reminds me of my grandpa. He loved the Bills and Sabres till the day he died. I vividly remember the last conversation I had with him. This young Myers kid that coming up through the system. How time changes. My grandma hated Tom Brady with a passion. Always called him "Baby Brady." That big comeback win against them was our first time playing them since they'd both passed. I can't help but think they had something to do with it. I didn't know your grandpa, but it sounds like him and my grandpa will get along well. When we finally win that Super Bowl, they'll have the best seats in the house.