Voluntary Workouts - April 6!

KDIGGZ

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bone injuries are usually 6-8 weeks. Is this some kind of Gronk style "infected bone"? Or did he just punch a wall when the press reported he was on the bubble?

I'm just kidding.

I just dont like them too much. Like barely can stand them.

Because?

We are so wise and venerable?

That must be it.

Fine line between that, and senile i suppose i might agree : )

We apologize

You will get there

You're like my wife. Always accusing me when Im completely innocent ALL the time.

Because?

That must be it.

I already mentioned how I was only kidding.

However sometimes the impatience of old people and their very very bad breath can annoy me heavily.

Because?

That must be it.

A lot of the old people I know are the opposite of wise and specially the opposite of VERY SMART. What's the opposite of VERY SMART?

Voluntary workouts. Yeah!!!

Bone injuries are usually 6-8 weeks. Is this some kind of Gronk style "infected bone"? Or did he just punch a wall when the press reported he was on the bubble?

Probably because he played with the broken hand. My guess is they had to operate and reset the break (i.e. break it again) then it's a matter of regaining hand strength.

You're like my wife. Always accusing me when Im completely innocent ALL the time.

I already mentioned how I was only kidding.

However sometimes the impatience of old people and their very very bad breath can annoy me heavily.

A lot of the old people I know are the opposite of wise and specially the opposite of VERY SMART. What's the opposite of VERY SMART?

Voluntary workouts. Yeah!!!

Seems like a reasonable argument : )

Now wheres my morphin drip

NURSE!

@BuffaloBillsPR: ICYMI: #Bills Strength & Conditioning Coach Eric Ciano was on @KISS985BUFFALO w/ some insight into offseason workouts http://t.co/eZaObKClJr

Thanks, Yolo.

Real interesting stuff about nutrition. I didn't know anything about the dining room until that listen. 6 pre-weighed meals. Pretty awesome stuff.

@BuffaloBillsPR: ICYMI: #Bills Strength & Conditioning Coach Eric Ciano was on @KISS985BUFFALO w/ some insight into offseason workouts http://t.co/eZaObKClJr

Cool Link... Unfortunately, Ciano sounds like the typical Gym know-it-all that gets people hurt in their workouts.... Squats??? -Are you serious? TERRIBLE for your lower back! -Especially if you don't use a guided machine.... Bad for your knees as well.... No wonder why our guys always look like crap compared to the ripped and buff cheaters of New England..

Seriously, is it just me, or do our key players seem hurt alot, and when the are healthy, they're not as fast, and never strong enough to beat NE... Whatever program Ciano has going does not work. I always suspected the S&C program was misguided, but I wasn't sure of it until hearing this radio segment.

Edited by #34fan

He has to be cleared by the medical team I would think. This was his first day back so maybe he hadn't had that meeting yet.

Cool Link... Unfortunately, Ciano sounds like the typical Gym know-it-all that gets people hurt in their workouts.... Squats??? -Are you serious? TERRIBLE for your lower back! -Especially if you don't use a guided machine.... Bad for your knees as well.... No wonder why our guys always look like crap compared to the ripped and buff cheaters of New England..

Seriously, is it just me, or do our key players seem hurt alot, and when the are healthy, they're not as fast, and never strong enough to beat NE... Whatever program Ciano has going does not work. I always suspected the S&C program was misguided, but I wasn't sure of it until hearing this radio segment.

i don't think they get hurt anymore than other teams (actually I think last year they seemed particularly healthy as a unit) and they are plenty fast. Speed isn't the reason they havent been able to beat NE.

It would be interersting to compare to other teams OTA workouts I suppose.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I hope you're joking about the squats. Maybe one of the absolute best exercises for strength, in fact squats help release some of the free testosterone in your body therefore making you overall stronger than someone that skips them. There might not be a better lift if you're looking to be a more powerful runner. Also doing them w out a smith machine or such helps with balance and builds better core strength, doing guided squts may be safer but you're cheating yourself. As far as it being bad on back and knees... Let's remember that these guys are athletes in their 20's and young 30's and every lift has potential for injury to joints and tendons if you're doing too much. Doing squats with a guided machine to prevent injury is like doing push-ups on your knees to prevent injury, great if you're a 9-5er but pathetic if you're a pro athlete.

Squat is the most important lift. When done properly, like Ciano was explaining, they are no worse than anything else. He seems very knowledgable about nutrition and excersise. If you think any other team is doing things differently, you're wrong.

No wonder why our guys always look like crap compared to the ripped and buff cheaters of New England..

HGH is one of the Pats'* 6 weighted meals

HGH is one of the Pats'* 6 weighted meals

Don't forget that Rodney Harrison got caught there the only way you could--by being dumb enough to buy HGH in his own name and shipping it to his house from a pharmacy that got busted selling steroids. Anyone else ever wonder how all those old vets on their early teams seemed to regain a step while there? Or how a few years back they had 3 of the 5 RBs in the whole League 32 or older (Morris, Taylor and Faulk)?

Squat is the most important lift. When done properly, like Ciano was explaining, they are no worse than anything else. He seems very knowledgable about nutrition and excersise. If you think any other team is doing things differently, you're wrong.

To me, he sounds like a complete hack... Like the people that gave me bad advice as a young athlete... So many things can go wrong with the back, neck, and knees in a squat that it's not even funny... That's not saying the exercise doesn't have it's benefits.. It's just obvious that squats cannot, and should not be overdone... Ciano said if he was trapped on a desert island, it's the only exercise he'd prefer to do! -That's a peek into Ciano's priorities as a trainer. What about exercises that strengthen the lower back and abdominals??? -The benefits of strenghthening the core FAR outweighs anything gained from doing pure squats. In fact, doing squats with a weak core is the bullet-train to back problems...

Back extensions, Knee extensions, Abs, Glutes all support a sturdy core..... Squatting, IMO, should be kept to a minimum... Just stuff I learned the hard way,

Edited by #34fan

To me, he sounds like a complete hack... Like the people that gave me bad advice as a young athlete... So many things can go wrong with the back, neck, and knees in a squat that it's not even funny... That's not saying the exercise doesn't have it's benefits.. It's just obvious that squats cannot, and should not be overdone... Ciano said if he was trapped on a desert island, it's the only exercise he'd prefer to do! -That's a peek into Ciano's priorities as a trainer. What about exercises that strengthen the lower back and abdominals??? -The benefits of strenghthening the core FAR outweighs anything gained from doing pure squats. In fact, doing squats with a weak core is the bullet-train to back problems...

Back extensions, Knee extensions, Abs, Glutes all support a sturdy core..... Squatting, IMO, should be kept to a minimum... Just stuff I learned the hard way,

I'm sure Ciano has the supplementing in workouts for their back and core as well. They guys squat the house for sure. I'd be willing to be all 32 teams and most D1 big five schools free squat. Sure, it can be dangerous, but when done properly, is tremendously beneficial.

I disagree about squats. Best lift is the deadlift and for football you want to add a power clean to the end which mimicks you exploding up and blocking someone or running them over

Four core lifts for football IMO:

Power clean

Squat

Dead lift

Incline bench

I'm sure Ciano has the supplementing in workouts for their back and core as well. They guys squat the house for sure. I'd be willing to be all 32 teams and most D1 big five schools free squat. Sure, it can be dangerous, but when done properly, is tremendously beneficial.

Four core lifts for football IMO:

Power clean

Squat

Dead lift

Incline bench

Not a fan of pure deadlifting at all... Power clean is ok within reason... I feel better about the fact that you can throw the weight off you in power clean, as opposed getting stuck while squatting, or screwing your lumbar while snatching up 400lbs of dead weight.. Incline is ok... I like the sitting curl for biceps, and the standing leg press for quads, and calves. All of these, IMO, need to supplemented with a coulple days of core, and cardio.. JMO... I'm not tring to give out advice.

Not a fan of pure deadlifting at all... Power clean is ok within reason... I feel better about the fact that you can throw the weight off you in power clean, as opposed getting stuck while squatting, or screwing your lumbar while snatching up 400lbs of dead weight.. Incline is ok... I like the sitting curl for biceps, and the standing leg press for quads, and calves. All of these, IMO, need to supplemented with a coulple days of core, and cardio.. JMO... I'm not tring to give out advice.

Fair enough.

It seems as though the excersises you suggest are all isolation movements. Athletes, especially football players, generally utilize full-body, compound lifts.

Fair enough.

It seems as though the excersises you suggest are all isolation movements. Athletes, especially football players, generally utilize full-body, compound lifts

As far as isolation vs. full-body, I think it would depend more on the player, and their specific job.. QB's would seem to benefit form full-body workouts... Safties or defensive ends might prefer more developed arms, and upper body to fulfill their purpose...

IMO, it would be fruitless to have a blanket regiment for players regardless of position. -I hope that isn't what's going on.

As far as isolation vs. full-body, I think it would depend more on the player, and their specific job.. QB's would seem to benefit form full-body workouts... Safties or defensive ends might prefer more developed arms, and upper body to fulfill their purpose...

IMO, it would be fruitless to have a blanket regiment for players regardless of position. -I hope that isn't what's going on.

They probably have position specific workouts. I find it very interesting that you think DE would focus on upper body development.

Most players/positions benefit from lower body explosion

They probably have position specific workouts. I find it very interesting that you think DE would focus on upper body development.

Most players/positions benefit from lower body explosion

I don't think you want to ignore the lower body at ANY position... I think though that a strong upper body facilitates good tackling, and helps passrushers shed blockers easily...

Best lift is Miller Lite anywhere from 18" to 22" from the desk while reading all the experts talk about what kind is best that they don't do for a living. These trainers do that for a living. Trust in them.

This is truly LIMTED thinking... A Coors or Amstel Light would work just as well from the horizontal (couch) position... A 12 pack of Newcastle also makes a good deadlift from the beer case at Albertson's... Trust me. -I'm a pro at this... :beer:

Best lift is Miller Lite anywhere from 18" to 22" from the desk while reading all the experts talk about what kind is best that they don't do for a living. These trainers do that for a living. Trust in them.

Amen, brother. Nothing wrong with a little discussion though

I don't think you want to ignore the lower body at ANY position... I think though that a strong upper body facilitates good tackling, and helps passrushers shed blockers easily...

This is truly LIMTED thinking... A Coors or Amstel Light would work just as well from the horizontal (couch) position... A 12 pack of Newcastle also makes a good deadlift from the beer case at Albertson's... Trust me. -I'm a pro at this... :beer:

So what you're saying is that squats are only acceptable when getting off the couch to get a cold bottle of suds? Love it.

I disagree about squats. Best lift is the deadlift and for football you want to add a power clean to the end which mimicks you exploding up and blocking someone or running them over

In my opinion ALL olmpic lifts are needed for football.......and the squat is a big one of them.

Being a former player.....a former coach.....and having a son obsessed with being a duck......I feel like I undertand the need for all of these lifts but in certain ways.

- First let me say.....I dont think my kid would like this coach very much because he trains to go below parallel on the squats. My son had a ACL contruction and if he goes below paralell for too long that damn thing will start filling up with fluid again and start causing pain. He can rep 5 bills if he goes TOO paralel. The problem is as a football player....u want to do what the coaches are asking u to do and not ask for "concessions"......

- One of the things that having a good squatting program will do for you is you can add that good weight by biulding up your legs (then you do other things to keep your fast twich explosiveness and speed) My son is basically a biult up college safety......but due to the right diet and training program went from 190 pounds in high school to 230 pounds he is right now without losing speed.......a large part of that is his squatting program.

For my own part......I am just starting to get myself back into shape on the later side of 45.....and I dont heavy lift at all. I also cannot do a lot because I work 2 jobs. But I am about to give my notice on one of those jobs as I accomplished the project I set out to do......I will be increasing my TRX training.......I do plank movements a lot.....I do yoga..........and I watch what I eat which includes my own blend of protein and super green food......I am a diabetic and ever since I started taking Super Green food I have been feeling so much better health wise.