Whaley not happy Bills haven't done more to address OL

Is Henderson a better fit for LT instead of RT? Either way, if he's lined up at one of the spots, I can imagine there will be LOTS of chips to the edge rushers outside shoulder to allow for Henderson to better get his hands on the defender, something that he struggled with towards the end of last year (guys were giving double moves, and getting around him to the outside)

The whole o-line is still a work in progress (the whole point of what Whaley was saying) - and we won't know what the five is until the start of camp

That said, I'm expecting a better performance out of the group based on the new coaching staff compared to the old staff alone

And lastly: enough of everyone speculating we could see Mario restructure this offseason to make way to a Mathis/Evans trade....we reeaaallllyyyyy need that restructure to happen next year so we can avoid cap nightmare/signing all of our FAs

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. My bad. Forgive me. I don't Tweet (I'm not a Twat :bag:), it's Twitter ecosystem linky thingys "http:t.co" that they use. I just looked it up. Thought you might have a WordPress site that gets glitz points or whatever. Like I said, just curious.

Keep up the good work!

haha I don't have anything like that. I'm sure there is a better way to embed all the links and all that but I prefer the way that takes 2.5 seconds lol

Big first offseason for Seantrel. Let's see if he shows up in shape and ready to go. It really could go either way with him - he fell to Round 7 because of laziness-type issues. This offseason will really be a tell.

True. I hope he is working hard like CK. He has tremendous opportunity.

Is Henderson a better fit for LT instead of RT? Either way, if he's lined up at one of the spots, I can imagine there will be LOTS of chips to the edge rushers outside shoulder to allow for Henderson to better get his hands on the defender, something that he struggled with towards the end of last year (guys were giving double moves, and getting around him to the outside)

The whole o-line is still a work in progress (the whole point of what Whaley was saying) - and we won't know what the five is until the start of camp

That said, I'm expecting a better performance out of the group based on the new coaching staff compared to the old staff alone

And lastly: enough of everyone speculating we could see Mario restructure this offseason to make way to a Mathis/Evans trade....we reeaaallllyyyyy need that restructure to happen next year so we can avoid cap nightmare/signing all of our FAs

Next year worries me as well. We have some very important players to re-sign.

Henderson was barely average at RT. I don't know why folks would move him to LT.

I would prefer to draft a RT, and then work with what we have already.

Well, the prevailing reason would be to get the best 5 on the field--if in fact he's part of the best 5.

Specific to Henderson, he basically played his entire career on the left side, and switching to the right (where he's never played) 2 weeks before the season starts didn't really allow him to adjust to the position. It's important to remember that everything is different on the right side. His natural kick-slide, the angles at which defenders approach, the direction of adjustments, etc. are all 180 degrees opposite from those which he's spent his entire football-playing career becoming accustomed. I actually think he'll be much better with an entire offseason of work at the position.

Of course, for me, the dream scenario would be for Kouandjio to beat him out for the RT job, allowing Henderson to be the swing OT. That, IMO, is a long shot at best, since I was never a Kouandjio guy in the first place.

I hope everyone understands one thing with regard to Glenn: if you move him inside, he's leaving as an unrestricted FA next off-season.

He's played the majority of his NFL snaps at LT, and he'll get LT money on the open market. You cannot expect him to accept LG money to stay here, even if he moves inside and plays well.

That doesn't mean that he won't be moved; that could certainly happen. The only scenario in which he moves that makes sense, IMO, would be for Buffalo to ink him to an extension before they inform him of the move to guard.

If that's the case, I believe you'd see:

LT - Henderson

LG - Glenn

C - Wood

RG - Incognito

RT - Kouandjio/Draft pick

That said, I think it's far more likely to be:

LT - Glenn

LG - vet (Mathis or Evans) OR Draft pick

C - Wood

RG - Incognito/Urbik/Williams/Richardson winner

RT - Henderson/Kouandjio winner

Couldn't they just franchise him?

I suppose they could, but they'd be giving him a 1-year guaranteed contract at approximately $10.5M...for a LG....in an offseason where they need to re-sign Dareus, Bradham, and extend Gilmore as well.

WRT your previous post...

The difference in money between good LTs and top OGs isnt that much.

Jake Long is making $8.5mil/year, Iupati just signed a contract averaging $8mil/year. Sure, the top LTs are making $10-12mil/year but I dont think Glenn is up there with Tyron Smith, Joe Thomas, and Ryan Clady. He's very good, but not top-tier.

Point is, wherever they play him this year, he's still due to make around $7mil/yr.

WRT your previous post...

The difference in money between good LTs and top OGs isnt that much.

Jake Long is making $8.5mil/year, Iupati just signed a contract averaging $8mil/year. Sure, the top LTs are making $10-12mil/year but I dont think Glenn is up there with Tyron Smith, Joe Thomas, and Ryan Clady. He's very good, but not top-tier.

Point is, wherever they play him this year, he's still due to make around $7mil/yr.

I know what you're saying; for posterity's sake: Jake Long is currently making nothing; he was released.

While I don't think Glenn is a top 5 LT, he is 100% justified in asking for a contract similar to the one Branden Albert got from Miami, which was $9.4M/year with $26M guaranteed (puts him in the top 10 average). By contrast, Iupati got $8M/year with $22M guaranteed.

If I'm Glenn, I'm not taking $7M/year to play either position.

I know what you're saying; for posterity's sake: Jake Long is currently making nothing; he was released.

While I don't think Glenn is a top 5 LT, he is 100% justified in asking for a contract similar to the one Branden Albert got from Miami, which was $9.4M/year with $26M guaranteed (puts him in the top 10 average). By contrast, Iupati got $8M/year with $22M guaranteed.

Sure, I dont disagree. Was just pointing out that the money between the two isnt like the old days. I dont think he's going to take $7mil/year either, and I dont think the Bills would make him a cheap-o OG offer. But who knows.

We should restructure everybody and sign Jake.

FYI - OL talk starts past the 9 min mark.

For those who can't listen, Brown said Bills should have kicked Glenn inside to LG last year and slotted Henderson at LT. He thinks that's the way Bills should go this year (if they don't add anyone else) and is optimistic about Cyrus's development after working hard in the offseason.

I understand why they started the year with Glenn at LT and Henderson at RT, but given how well Henderson played in the pre-season at LT where he was used to playing I would have thought that when they got to the bye and they looked again at the line (which resulted in Urbik coming in) they could have considered kicking Glenn inside, pulling Henderson over to LT moving Pears back to RT and inserting Urbik at RG.

I compare the Marrone approach of largely stick with it throughout to the Patriots approach who had realy OL problems early last season and kept changing the line up every week (either swapping positions or personnel) through the first 5 or 6 games until they got something that they were happy with.

I compare the Marrone approach of largely stick with it throughout to the Patriots approach who had realy OL problems early last season and kept changing the line up every week (either swapping positions or personnel) through the first 5 or 6 games until they got something that they were happy with.

Yeah, that really got me too. The Pats started out with a sucky line and Brady under too much pressure and the Hoodie and his minions somehow came up with something that worked.

Coaching matters.

Would I be correct in projecting that our starting O-Line will look like this?

LT-Glenn

LG-Incognito

C-Wood

RG-Urbik

RT-Henderson

thats probably worst case scenario which is still better than last year with Pears and Richardson, and with a better coaching staff/scheme

The problem is that the worst case scenario happens when one of the quality starters gets injured. When you are trotting out a line where only three of the five starters are of the quality you'd want, it is a huge risk. They need to not only draft a starter quality player in the 2nd round and hit on him, they need to somehow find another. I'd expect that the 2nd round pick will likely be a guard due to value. That means they need to find a stopgap vet at RT. That might not happen until rosters are thinning. Maybe a post-June 1st cut. It's certainly possible, but it has to be addressed well. Edited by BarleyNY

Well, the prevailing reason would be to get the best 5 on the field--if in fact he's part of the best 5.

Specific to Henderson, he basically played his entire career on the left side, and switching to the right (where he's never played) 2 weeks before the season starts didn't really allow him to adjust to the position. It's important to remember that everything is different on the right side. His natural kick-slide, the angles at which defenders approach, the direction of adjustments, etc. are all 180 degrees opposite from those which he's spent his entire football-playing career becoming accustomed. I actually think he'll be much better with an entire offseason of work at the position.

Of course, for me, the dream scenario would be for Kouandjio to beat him out for the RT job, allowing Henderson to be the swing OT. That, IMO, is a long shot at best, since I was never a Kouandjio guy in the first place.

Bandit, can you come up with a source about Henderson playing his entire career on the left side?

Wiki has him playing mostly at RT for the 'canes, when he wasn't suspended or demoted for smokin' Ganja or recovering from back surgery

Sporttrac has his college position as ??

Here is how I see the O-line

LT- Glenn

LG- Rookie 2nd rounder

C- Wood

RG- InCognito/Williams

RT- Henderson/CK

Urbik, Richardson, and the loser of the Henderson/CK battle round out the bench. Loser of the InCognito and Williams battle gets cut