Countdown: *Tank is Over!*

QCity

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now the Sabres can follow Detroit's example and make the playoffs over 20 straight years . Draft , trade , good coaching , we have the BEST owners

the Detroit Red Wings' current 24-season postseason appearance streak is the longest active streak of any of the four major North American professional sports leagues (NHL, NFL, NBA, MLB)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_franchise_post-season_appearance_streaks

Edited by ALF

Now the Sabres can follow Detroit's example and make the playoffs over 20 straight years . Draft , trade and good coaching

the Detroit Red Wings' current 24-season postseason appearance streak is the longest active streak of any of the four major North American professional sports leagues (NHL, NFL, NBA, MLB)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_franchise_post-season_appearance_streaks

Will Putin allow the Sabres to become the second coming of the Detroit Red Army team? :unsure:

Will Putin allow the Sabres to become the second coming of the Detroit Red Army team? :unsure:

Not if Nolan has a say, unless he is handling Grigorenko and Zadorov the best way

Edited by ALF

I'm talking more about the press getting on the fans. That didn't start till that AZ game here.

Those SS people seem pretty nuts. In December, a whole lot were convinced that the Sabres were a good team.

Not taking a single point in January sure did take care of that. When we look back on this season, that's where we really landed McEichel.

From what I have seen, it seems like the two players have pretty different personalities. Mcdavid is more humble and unassuming (in an interview recently he compared his own game to Tyler Bozak, which is like Andrew Luck comparing his game to Andy Dalton), while Eichel is more cocky/brash. I think Eichel has similarities to Patrick Kane. I don't have an issue with either personality fwiw.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Any possibility of flop ......or guaranteed?

It seems to me that in hockey, when somebody is like a Gretzky, Mario, Orr, Crosby - a wunderkind who people know about for years - they never seem to flop.

That is what McDavid is............And, Eichel isn't far behind.

McDavid scored 5, yes 5!, goals last night in a PLAYOFF game!

Eichel had two goals and an assist and dominated the Frozen Four on Thursday, became the first freshman to win the Hobie Baker since Paul Kariya 25 or so years ago on Friday, and will win the NCAA chamionship tonight!

i know I am wrong to feel this way....but I am still in big time dislike with Gionta.

I'm the same way. I looked at a depth chart, Trending Buffalo made up for next year, and I looked at his picture and said !@#$ you. Kind of feel the same about Ennis, who used to be my favorite player.

It's one thing to play till the end, and it didn't have to be a complete tank job like the Coyotes did the other night. But, to step your game up so much to spite the fans. It's still got me very conflicted about some of these guys.

And Nolan - teams all over the league are trying out goalies, etc. for next year (see Oilers last night). But, he kept going to #1 over and over to make the heroic run to 29th.

i think it's 4/18

It is. We have one week where we can have fun thinking of the possibilities of McDavid and knowing we won't be disappointed to have Eichel.

Not taking a single point in January sure did take care of that. When we look back on this season, that's where we really landed McEichel.

I said last night "Thank you, January!".............The month where Harrington said we were the laughingstocks of the league. No, we would have been the laughingstocks if we did all this and got 29th place.

i know I am wrong to feel this way....but I am still in big time dislike with Gionta.

I'm not. I understand his mentality; he's not going to be around for the Sabres' rebirth and doesn't give a crap about who the next hotshot rookie is. He also has no ties to the Sabres in general so it's not as if he is a fan of the franchise. I'll give him a pass.

I'm not. I understand his mentality; he's not going to be around for the Sabres' rebirth and doesn't give a crap about who the next hotshot rookie is. He also has no ties to the Sabres in general so it's not as if he is a fan of the franchise. I'll give him a pass.

If he's not going to be around for the rebirth, why did we sign him? To lead a heroic run to 29th?

LOL. Well, I would normally root for the Catholic school, anyway!

I just hope that Eichel doesn't decide he has to stay there to finish the job now.

He's gone. Don't worry about it... Especially after we win our 20% long shot.

That's good then. You've still got 5 national championships............And, that '09 one had to be the most heart breaking one in sports history (for Miami)

I kind of hate that 2009 is my favorite sports moment. I was there for it and it was pure joy. I want a Buffalo team to have that moment for me, not a Boston team.

Edited by shrader

It seems to me that in hockey, when somebody is like a Gretzky, Mario, Orr, Crosby - a wunderkind who people know about for years - they never seem to flop.

That is what McDavid is............And, Eichel isn't far behind.

McDavid scored 5, yes 5!, goals last night in a PLAYOFF game!

Eichel had two goals and an assist and dominated the Frozen Four on Thursday, became the first freshman to win the Hobie Baker since Paul Kariya 25 or so years ago on Friday, and will win the NCAA chamionship tonight!

They don't really flop in any sport. They maybe just don't come around as often in others - LeBron and Luck is I think about the exclusive list of the last 20yrs.

Totally on this bandwagon and I don't even feel bad about it. Sports are supposed to be fun and being a diehard Bills/Syracuse fan has been the opposite of fun for so long. Do I get a blue or white jersey?

To meet the salary floor.

I think he is here next year...teach the boys how to win and all that.

If he is as good a captain as they all say, he will come in handy next year.

I mean, 45 pts or whatever it is the Sbres were from a playoff spot a lot to make up in one year....so I tnink a lot of losing in store for next year as well. Hope I be wrong, but that's a big frighten jump!

I mean, 45 pts or whatever it is the Sbres were from a playoff spot a lot to make up in one year....so I tnink a lot of losing in store for next year as well. Hope I be wrong, but that's a big frighten jump!

It's definitely a lot to make up but there were a lot of close games, especially towards the end of the year. A little more offense and a goal here or there...

It's a big jump but it can be done. Murray has the tools at his disposal. He needs to find a few impact free agents and/or guys who are available because other teams have cap issues. He got done what he wanted to next year but now the excuses aren't going to be accepted.

The recipe is pretty easy:

1. If Babcock or McClellan are available, get one of them.

2. If there are guys available like Boychuck and Leddy were this year, be in the mix.

3. Sign an impact free agent or two.

4. Develop what you've already got.

5. Find a goalie (maybe find two?)

I have zero doubt this team could be 35-40 points better without much difficulty. McEichel, Reihardt, Pysyk, and Evander Kane will all contribute more next year than whoever they replace. A guy like Ennis will be sick with more talent around him.

To meet the salary floor.

Murray should have got a less "captainy" guy then...........This kind of makes me dislike Gianta even more. We're fans for 45 years - and will be fans when he leaves. And, he makes it his mission to screw us?...............I figured he'd be around for at least the beginning of the dynasty!

They don't really flop in any sport. They maybe just don't come around as often in others - LeBron and Luck is I think about the exclusive list of the last 20yrs.

Good point!

Murray should have got a less "captainy" guy then...........This kind of makes me dislike Gianta even more. We're fans for 45 years - and will be fans when he leaves. And, he makes it his mission to screw us?...............I figured he'd be around for at least the beginning of the dynasty!

Good point!

I don't think Gionta was really trying to screw us, they just wanted to win. Players and coaches have a delusional mind set that they can win with who they have and don't need any help. To purposely lose in their minds means admitting they aren't good enough and no player wants to do that and is the reason most players play past their primes (it's why I still compete in powerlifting :D )

It's a big jump but it can be done. Murray has the tools at his disposal. He needs to find a few impact free agents and/or guys who are available because other teams have cap issues. He got done what he wanted to next year but now the excuses aren't going to be accepted.

The recipe is pretty easy:

1. If Babcock or McClellan are available, get one of them.

2. If there are guys available like Boychuck and Leddy were this year, be in the mix.

3. Sign an impact free agent or two.

4. Develop what you've already got.

5. Find a goalie (maybe find two?)

I have zero doubt this team could be 35-40 points better without much difficulty. McEichel, Reihardt, Pysyk, and Evander Kane will all contribute more next year than whoever they replace. A guy like Ennis will be sick with more talent around him.

Why is everybody talking about Babcock? Is he butting heads with the Wings front office?

I don't think Gionta was really trying to screw us, they just wanted to win. Players and coaches have a delusional mind set that they can win with who they have and don't need any help. To purposely lose in their minds means admitting they aren't good enough and no player wants to do that and is the reason most players play past their primes (it's why I still compete in powerlifting :D )

There's a huge difference between not losing on purpose, and the crap the Sabres players did at the end of the year.

Yeah that sucked...

I can't even imagine. I always root for Miami to get back there and win it.

Why is everybody talking about Babcock? Is he butting heads with the Wings front office?

He is only under contract through the end of this year, and has refused to sign an extension. Rumors are he sees the writing on the wall in Detroit with an aging team and not a great prospect pool .

Rumor as I heard on GR and elsewhere is he is going where McDavid ends up.

BTW, people always say follow the Detroit model....but getting Datysuk and Zetterburg in the 6th round ain't happening anymore...

As an aside, this Masters is as boring as that Sabre game last night.

Edited by plenzmd1

He is only under contract through the end of this year, and has refused to sign an extension. Rumors are he sees the writing on the wall in Detroit with an aging team and not a great prospect pool .

Rumor as I heard on GR and elsewhere is he is going where McDavid ends up.

BTW, people always say follow the Detroit model....but getting Datysuk and Zetterburg in the 6th round ain't happening anymore...

As an aside, this Masters is as boring as that Sabre game last night.

it sounds like a real possibility he could end up in Bflo if we get mcdavid. Pegs will pay.