We Need To Be More Like The Packers

I can't find a link to the story, so if someone can find one that'd be great. But I read yesterday that all but one of the current members of the Green Bay Packers have never played for another NFL team. This, coupled with Bryan Bulaga deciding to re-sign for less money than we offered, got me thinking.

The whole "Nobody wants to play in Buffalo" line is BS. I'm not knocking Green Bay by any means, but what do they have that we don't? Colder weather, and a smaller town with less to do. Again, not knocking them, but they have the same downsides we do, only worse.

What do they have? First, a team that's been a playoff, if not Super Bowl contender almost every season. A die hard fan base. Ownership that genuinely cares about their players. Also, a community that makes them feel at home despite the lack of nightlife that cites like NYC or Miami have. This is what the Pegulas are trying to build for both the Sabres and Bills. A organization that will attract new FA's, and make the old ones stay without having to overpay them, because they genuinely want to be here.

So we need to knock this notion, because it just isn't true anymore, or at least won't be in a few years.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't find a link to the story, so if someone can find one that'd be great. But I read yesterday that all but one of the current members of the Green Bay Packers have never played for another NFL team. This, coupled with Bryan Bulaga deciding to re-sign for less money than we offered, got me thinking.

The whole "Nobody wants to play in Buffalo" line is BS. I'm not knocking Green Bay by any means, but what do they have that we don't? Colder weather, and a smaller town with less to do. Again, not knocking them, but they have the same downsides we do, only worse.

What do they have? First, a team that's been a playoff, if not Super Bowl contender almost every season. A die hard fan base. Ownership that genuinely cares about their players. Also, a community that makes them feel at home despite the lack of nightlife that cites like NYC or Miami have. This is what the Pegulas are trying to build for both the Sabres and Bills. A organization that will attract new FA's, and make the old ones stay without having to overpay them, because they genuinely want to be here.

So we need to knock this notion, because it just isn't true anymore, or at least won't be in a few years.

So you're saying we should be a winning football team and perennial super bowl contender? Do we really want to do that? There's got to be a better way!

Yep, the only thing Green Bay has over Buffalo is that they have been winning more football games than they have been losing for the last 20+ years....a winning culture!

This is exactly why people shouldn't be freaking out that the Bills are "overpaying" for talent. They are trying to jumpstart and build that winning culture...winning takes care of a lot of things.

yea brett favre followed by aaron rodgers fixes a lot of challenges.

I'm gonna continue the theme of what was said before me. Favre followed by Rodgers helps a lot.

If they hadn't had two straight HOF QBs I'm not sure they would be applauded for not bringing in FAs.

It's just that easy.

Other than SF with Montana and Young and GB with Favre and Rodgers, I can't think of another NFL team that benefited from back to back HOF quarterbacks. The odds of ever having ONE are astronomical, but two in a row? Maybe SF is finally having to answer to the football gods.

GO BILLS!!!

It's just that easy.

Other than SF with Montana and Young and GB with Favre and Rodgers, I can't think of another NFL team that benefited from back to back HOF quarterbacks. The odds of ever having ONE are astronomical, but two in a row? Maybe SF is finally having to answer to the football gods.

GO BILLS!!!

Indy might be next. And they made some splashy FA moves this year that might pay off but that FO has largely been a train wreck since the arrival of Luck and he has masked their ineptitude in both FA and the draft,

Edited by YoloinOhio

Step one: get one of the GOAT QB's to start for us for well over a decade

Step two: replace him with one of the GOAT QB's

Seems reasonable.

I believe the Colts have also "Lucked" into this approach.

Indy might be next. And they made some splashy FA moves this year that might pay off but that FO has largely been a train wreck since the arrival of Luck and he has masked their ineptitude in both FA and the draft,

I think Indy will be next; Luck is gonna be an HOFer. The only hiccup in the succession plan was the year Manning sat out hurt. The Niners and Packers never had to go through a Curtis Painter adjustment period.

GO BILLS!!!

I think Indy will be next; Luck is gonna be an HOFer. The only hiccup in the succession plan was the year Manning sat out hurt. The Niners and Packers never had to go through a Curtis Painter adjustment period.

GO BILLS!!!

the Sabres need to learn from the Colts. I remember they put Dan Orlovsky in there for a game or 2 and they won. They immediately put Painter back in for the rest of the year. Imagine if they had pick #2 or 3 the next year instead of 1.

I believe the Colts have also "Lucked" into this approach.

The Colts had to go 2-14 to get there.

The Packers were in the playoffs the season before they drafted Rodgers. And in the NFC Championship the year before he took over.

Edited by The Big Cat