Charles Clay REPORT: Dolphins won't match offer sheet

If Clay is the versatile piece they want for the offense, I think the money is justified. It's a bit steep, but justified. Now, here is one issue. They really, really need to draft and possibly sign a depth TE who is in Clay's mould, even if he's not as good. Injuries are too frequent in the NFL and the team needs to be prepared for that scenario.

On the plus side, I do like what I've seen of Gray thus far -- I think he could be an underrated pickup -- and maybe they think he and Gragg can cut it.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Clay is the versatile piece they want for the offense, I think the money is justified. It's a bit steep, but justified. Now, here is one issue. They really, really need to draft and possibly sign a depth TE who is in Clay's mould, even if he's not as good. Injuries are too frequent in the NFL and the team needs to be prepared for that scenario.

On the plus side, I do like what I've seen of Gray thus far -- I think he could be an underrated pickup -- and maybe they think he and Gragg can cut it.

i see Gray as Clay's backup. I think they need to replace Lee Smith though with a blocking TE in the draft, maybe 5th rd. Heurmann from OSU should be there and would be ideal.

Gray is the kind of player but I don't think anyone knows if he can be any good. He made two nice plays last year when no one covered him. I doubt right now that he could be counted on to do it. Gragg has some potential as that kind of player. His blocking his improved a bit but he hasn't shown much. I would not doubt at all if we draft a TE in the second or third round. Depends on what we do on the OL before the draft I guess.

Good point, and be able to throw to him accurately if he's more that 20 down field. Go Bills

I think Cassel is best suited for this. This is exactly what EJ has been awful at this whole time. Recognizing the op en guy quickly and getting him the ball..

@OmarKelly: I said this 2 weeks ago & I stand by it now. I'd rather have the $7M back than Charles Clay. No shade to Clay. Love him like a play cousin

wtf is a " play cousin" - guess I'm behind on the lingo

Omar--in the last two weeks -- you have taken every possible position on this issue....Jesus -- you are my stupid cousin...

Well, the modus operandi of Whaley overpaying market value for players he covets has proven to be a consistent pattern. Huge risk/reward philosophy... hit it big you're in the penthouse popping champagne; miss and you're in the shlt house crying in your beer.

Whaley's a true riverboat gambler. A thrill-seeker gunning for the hottest commodity cost be damned. I'm personally much more conservative than that, so I cringe when I see what appears on the surface to be reckless decisioning. Sure hope lady luck is with him on this deal.

I think Clay is going to be great, but I fear, as always, unless he has 10 td's and 1000 yards, some will insist we overpaid for him.

I think there is a good chance he won't become the Pegula Bills answer to the Pegula Sabres Ville Lleino....

Edited by Buftex

I think Clay is going to be great, but I fear, as always, unless he has 10 td's and 1000 yards, some will insist we overpaid for him.

I think there is a good chance he won't become the Peguala Bills answer to the Pegula Sabres Ville Lleino....

people finally came around to mario, and sammy gets a lot of credit already.... we will see. JTSP will never like him though. atleast not until we release him.

I don't really fear that. Without Clay's contract, the people who would say that would find something else to complain about.

The overpaying concept is IMO out of context. Apart from kickers/punters, the TE position has the smallest negative effect if one overpays.

The same week that Miami had to suck up $6.6M in dead money after paying $20.5M over the last 2 seasons for a useless Mike Wallace, people are knocking the Bills for overpaying Clay by $0.55M. Rediculous.

People expecting huge numbers put up by Clay are probably going to be disappointed. Nor will his numbers prove whether or not he is worth it or not.

You don't pay a guy 7-8 mil a year cap hit to be a decoy. His numbers absolutely will prove his worth. Anything less than 60 catches a year, 650 yards and 6 TD's will be a disappointment. I don't think these are ridiculous expectations. If they are lower, then DW and RR are not on the same page.

@OmarKelly: I said this 2 weeks ago & I stand by it now. I'd rather have the $7M back than Charles Clay. No shade to Clay. Love him like a play cousin

wtf is a " play cousin" - guess I'm behind on the lingo

someone you can put in a bunch of make believe stories?

You don't pay a guy 7-8 mil a year cap hit to be a decoy. His numbers absolutely will prove his worth. Anything less than 60 catches a year, 650 yards and 6 TD's will be a disappointment. I don't think these are ridiculous expectations. If they are lower, then DW and RR are not on the same page.

So based on Mario Williams salary, what should his stats be? 100 tackles, 25 sacks, 10 forced fumbles 5 INTs....he should also probably play on offense considering the money he's making

Untrue, IMO. And it's not to be a decoy. It's to be a weapon, a blocker on sweeps, to disguise whether we are going to run or pass by going in motion out of the backfield or on the wing as an HBack, to catch balls down the seams, to be a FB on some plays, to run out of the backfield, to pass protect, etc. The only reason he is not going to be putting up huge numbers is because we have five legit weapons, not two or three or four like every other team, and we are going to spread the ball around. He's extremely versatile and the kind of player that Roman loves to use 6-7 different ways. That's where his value is, not as a common TE.

He's not the best TE in the league but he's the best that kind of TE in the league.