Stevie Johnson signs with Chargers

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always been a big fan of Stevie Johnson. He is a little unorthodox but that is why he gives the top DBs fits.

But this is contradictory! Is it not ? Smooth route runner?

I always rooted for him, and loved how he kept getting open. wish we could have got him the ball a bit more.

But upward and onward.

wish him well. Rivers could get him some paid money. If Phillip can figure when the hell he is open and is going to turn for the ball

luv ya stevie!

But this is contradictory! Is it not ? Smooth route runner?

I always rooted for him, and loved how he kept getting open. wish we could have got him the ball a bit more.

But upward and onward.

wish him well. Rivers could get him some paid money. If Phillip can figure when the hell he is open and is going to turn for the ball

luv ya stevie!

I wouldn't call him smooth but someone used the boxer analogy and it fits perfectly. Some boxers may not be quite as skilled but their style makes it difficult for opponents.

it was the left handed type of competitor.Thinks a bit different

i think Stevie has more of a basketball ( drive to the net, pull up, drive again, ( simply put ) type of juke system.

But i think we agree in general. Guy has some nifty foot work. Used to drive me nuts because even I could see "in replays" he was coming open. more often than not.

ah well.

I've met Stevie and I've talked to him for a good 10-15 minutes. Honestly the most HUMBLE person I've ever met and is truly underappreciated by the Bills community. Miss this guy and wish him the very best in SD.

I'd have to disagree after reading some of the comments in this thread.

I wouldn't call him smooth but someone used the boxer analogy and it fits perfectly. Some boxers may not be quite as skilled but their style makes it difficult for opponents.

if he and Rivers are on the same page he will target him a ton. Keenan Allen is imo a top 3 route runner in the league right now and Rivers loves him because he's always where he is supposed to be. He's just not quite a #1wr at this point. I do like the trio of Malcolm Floyd, KA and SJ. SJ could do some damage in the slot for that offense. Plus Melvin Gordon in the passing game - they will be fun to watch.

Another analogy -He's the team playing a weird zone in the tournament when your playing against man to man all week.

It can still be smooth, predictable, and incredibly functional within the unit but really throw off an opponent or a new teammate that doesn't digest it well.

I won't claim to be expert enough or have deeply analyzed enough sj13 to have a strong opinion beyond he's physically limited, I think he's an odd mix of both overachiever and underachiever, and he gives opponents more trouble than you'd expect.

lol i remember arguing for 2 years how he wasnt really a number 1, now when you look at our roster, whos he better than? Hogan? Maybe I think Goodwin is about twice as fast and can catch better, injured about the same too.

Really he might be a #3 in SD, and I mean might. I just am grateful we actually have a stable of WRs so good we dont know which one to cut, not like before when we had to make Donald Jones, Brad Smith and even CJ into starting receivers. what a joke that unit was.

Always been a big fan of Stevie Johnson. He is a little unorthodox but that is why he gives the top DBs fits.

I think he'd still be deadly with an accurate QB who is comfortable with some improvisation. He could have a career year with the Steelers the way Big Ben extends plays.

Will he? Has Stevie learned to run routes yet and not make it up as he goes?

Stevie plays the position like a basketball player....he goes where they ain't.....or if they are defending an "inside technique" he takes it outside. Thats what he and Fitz did, and it makes a lot of sense. But, inexperienced QB's without a serious head for the game (recall Fitz had a near world record Wunderlich test result and was a Harvard grad) can't handle doing a read like that for the Wr's. So, with the right QB, Stevie is all world. This technique is why Revis had such trouble with him, he always ran against the manner/techniqu that Revis was using. Revis gripe was that Stevie had more freedom than any Wr in the league. Indeed, he did, and that was a lot of what made up those three 1000 yd seasons. So, making it up as he goes is his strength, and yes, he isn't great with non cerebral QB's. Hope for his sake that Rivers can deal with this talent and curse. Makes me wonder why more receivers don't use this method.....