Urbik takes 1.5 million dollar pay cut to stay with Bills

Big Turk

Yep, just another simple but very smart move by our shrewd FO that the "fans" will quickly forget about next time they want to complain.

WHY HAVEN'T THEY SIGNED CLAY YET?! IS BUDDY ASLEEP?! MCCOY IS OVER-RATED! WE COULD HAVE HAD MURRAY FOR NOTHING! I HAD AN ORGASM THINKING ABOUT CHIP KELLY!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it seems like the BILLS are trying to build up alot more cap space for some reason ,PFF says the BILLS currently have 3rd most cap space available,, I gota feeling they have somebody they re targeting ,

Unless there's a QB they want that might hit the market (Kaep? Brees? RG3?), there's not really any one player available worth that cap space. I think they want to sign Clay, make Harvin official, maybe bring back Spikes or add Dawan Landry and probably add one more body to the oline through FA/trade. Those moves would eat up a lot of the available cap space.

Actually smart for both sides. He provides depth at OG and center. DW continues to impress.

Agreed. Still has chance to start or at worst be the primary back up at both guard spots and center so still has "value" and the cap savings were needed and he was making too much anyway and probably was told, if he doesnt take pay cut, he would be released and probably felt his best chance to start may still be in Buffalo where he's now been for a few years. Still, Rare to see a player willing to do that for the team (unless its situation like Peyton Manning where he's beyond wealthy already and his cap savings could help team land a upgrade to roster.)

Nice to see Urbik being "realistic" about his abilities and showing he's happy being a Buffalo Bill!

it seems like the BILLS are trying to build up alot more cap space for some reason ,PFF says the BILLS currently have 3rd most cap space available,, I gota feeling they have somebody they re targeting ,

Or maybe they are just optimizing their roster, to give them as much flexibility to improve. Doesn't always have to be a big splash player.

Keep in mind that EVERY offensive linemen we had regressed last year.

I agree, but I don't understand it. Marrone has this reputation as a great O line coach, and apparently spent more time than usual for HCs, working with the O line. Is it a strength/conditioning issue? Technique?

My guess is that the amateur OC couldn't design blocking schemes to suit the plays and counter what the D was doing, and at least in part that caused some of the O line problems.

I agree, but I don't understand it. Marrone has this reputation as a great O line coach, and apparently spent more time than usual for HCs, working with the O line. Is it a strength/conditioning issue? Technique?

My guess is that the amateur OC couldn't design blocking schemes to suit the plays and counter what the D was doing, and at least in part that caused some of the O line problems.

Not sure if anyone has pushed Marrone's OL Coach reputation as much as Marrone himself, so take that for what its worth.

Spending more time than most HCs with the OL seems to have been one of the problems. According to Eric Wood, they had 3 different voices in their ears (Marrone, Hackett, and Morris) all telling them different things.

I agree that another big problem was most likely the unqualified OC who was in way over his head. We were using large, road-grading OL in a Zone Blocking Scheme on top of having poorly designed plays pulled out of a Pop Warner playbook.

Im not saying a coaching change will be the instant cure and these guys are all Pro-Bowlers, but I fully expect Roman and Kromer to be able to get a better performance from this unit.

If the Clay thing ends up dragging out and we end up going 2nd round with a OG then that is not the worst plan I can think of........there has been a lot of success with 2nd round OG's

With Guards, centers, & RBs having been devalued the last few years, we ought to be able to pick up a top 3 OG or C in rd 2.

Easily, if he was a good player he would be starting...some backups are trainwrecks when they get in there...a backups main job is to do well enough that the team isn't hamstrung when he is in there by having to give extra help to him...Urbik does that well enough...

i think the point was, if you can't block well as a starter, why would you expect him to block well as a backup when inserted in the game. The biggest benefit with Urbik would be familiarity with linemates, which is significant.

Agreed. Still has chance to start or at worst be the primary back up at both guard spots and center so still has "value" and the cap savings were needed and he was making too much anyway and probably was told, if he doesnt take pay cut, he would be released and probably felt his best chance to start may still be in Buffalo where he's now been for a few years. Still, Rare to see a player willing to do that for the team (unless its situation like Peyton Manning where he's beyond wealthy already and his cap savings could help team land a upgrade to roster.)

Nice to see Urbik being "realistic" about his abilities and showing he's happy being a Buffalo Bill!

+1 I think this a good for Bills, but also Urbik, He stays put, makes a decent salary and has a great chance to be backup guard/center at worst, while getting a chance to show new coaches he is starting material.

Smart move. He actually graded out fairly well according to PFF metrics - until Marrone moved him to left guard.....

Year Right Guard Left Guard All Guards

2011 11th 20th

2012 13th 25th

2013 11th 20th

2014 31st 53rd

Smart move. He actually graded out fairly well according to PFF metrics - until Marrone moved him to left guard.....

Year Right Guard Left Guard All Guards

2011 11th 20th

2012 13th 25th

2013 11th 20th

2014 31st 53rd

I know it's easy to blame Marrone for the line problems last year, but it really does point toward something being done wrong last year. Would be great for us if that was the case and the new staff would fix those issues. Makes life much easier.

I know it's easy to blame Marrone for the line problems last year, but it really does point toward something being done wrong last year. Would be great for us if that was the case and the new staff would fix those issues. Makes life much easier.

The thing that was wrong was Marrone's insistence on running a blocking scheme and offense that didn't suit his personnel on the line. Which is doubly damning considering Marrone was the one advocating for big, lumbering linemen -- the exact opposite skillset normally associated with a zone blocking scheme.

St. Doug was terrible for player development across the offense, from QB to RB to OL, everyone got worse as Doug doubled down on his stubbornness.