[closed]Charles Clay to Bills? - the sequel/trilogy

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Arguably, forcing Miami into a position of blowing a third of their salary cap on two TEs and Suh improves the Bills' position in the division more than actually signing Clay themselves does.

they would sign him to trade him IMO. seeing as how sought after he has been i'm sure Cleveland would give something up for him. that would keep him away from us so it's win win for the Dolphins

they would sign him to trade him IMO. seeing as how sought after he has been i'm sure Cleveland would give something up for him. that would keep him away from us so it's win win for the Dolphins

to finish my point, if I'm Clay I wouldn't sign with the Dolphins. once he does he will be helpless as to which team he might get traded to. at least now he gets to choose. once they signed Cameron I would have been gone

How are the Dolphins using him? They wanted to be able to match any contract offer. Clay is a RFA looking for a big contract. He either signs with another team or takes the 1 yr $7M from Miami. The risk is if Miami removes the tag but then Clay is an UFA.

You're right it's not known. Just a lot of speculation they are gaming with the transition tag in mind to force opposing cap hits. Could all be poppycock

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

It's also possible that Miami is merely feigning interest to force the Bills to not call their bluff--- the Ellerbe trade helps, but still counts as a cap hit:

Spotrac@spotrac11 mins11 minutes ago

Dannell Ellerbe leaves behind $4.2M in dead cap to the #Dolphins, bringing along cap hits of $8.45M, $6.475M, and $6.025M to the #Saints.

It's also possible that Miami is merely feigning interest to force the Bills to not call their bluff--- the Ellerbe trade helps, but still counts as a cap hit:

Spotrac@spotrac11 mins11 minutes ago

Dannell Ellerbe leaves behind $4.2M in dead cap to the #Dolphins, bringing along cap hits of $8.45M, $6.475M, and $6.025M to the #Saints.

Since it was Rapaport that reported it, I think it was likely Clay's agent that is trying to force the Bills to get the offer out.

to finish my point, if I'm Clay I wouldn't sign with the Dolphins. once he does he will be helpless as to which team he might get traded to. at least now he gets to choose. once they signed Cameron I would have been gone

He can't "go" anywhere with the tag on him. But if the Bills think he wants out of Miami irregardless they might be inclined to offer less. But offering less makes the possibility of Miami matching that much more likely.