If there was ever a year not to have a first rounder ...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is Whaley clairvoyant enough to know the 2015 draft would be bad a year before it happened?

No need to marginalize what appears to be a correct evaluation by sarcastically referring to it as clairvoyance. The team made a judgement call that 2014 would be a much better year in terms of draft talent and acted upon it.

Believe it or not, it's totally okay to give them credit when they're right about something.

No need to marginalize what appears to be a correct evaluation by sarcastically referring to it as clairvoyance. The team made a judgement call that 2014 would be a much better year in terms of draft talent and acted upon it.

Believe it or not, it's totally okay to give them credit when they're right about something.

But but ODB! One hand catch or something...

Great point Yolo...now if only someone would clue in Shoop and Bullfrog they might let the issue go.

I hope people realize that draft picks, particularly a first round draft pick, are valuable currency in this league.

The fact that there may not be a true first round talent to select with that currency is meaningless. The currency is still valuable currency, and we still incurred a high opportunity cost in making that expenditure on the Watkins deal.

Now, if you think that was a good move, that's fine. That's a totally different issue.

But please be aware that an expenditure is an expenditure, and it comes with an opportunity cost.

Edited by Stopthepain

From what I heard this AM, the SeaHacks who don't have many TE packages and traded (IMO) a lot for a TE.

Did they get a new Offensive coach and strategy??? otherwise this move its a ?????

hes more of a "pass catcher." He is a WR/TE. 5000 yds in first 5 seasons. Granted Seattle doesn't throw the ball like NO, but their offense lends to a TE being open and I think he fits perfectly giving them a big target. They cut zach miller and lost out to Marrone-land on j Thomas. They will throw to him a ton, I think. If they had him at the goal line in the SB, tommy boy is crying in his uggs. Edited by YoloinOhio

Now you've gone too far!

I hope people realize that draft picks, particularly a first round draft pick, are valuable currency in this league.

But please be aware that an expenditure is an expenditure, and it comes with an opportunity cost.

And just like any currency that is bought and sold on an open market - the value fluctuates.

Is Whaley clairvoyant enough to know the 2015 draft would be bad a year before it happened?

It would be very difficult to be that precise, but certainly scouting departments are aware of what is coming "down the pike."

Now you've gone too far!

And just like any currency that is bought and sold on an open market - the value fluctuates.

Not sure of your point, but over a relative short period of time, an ounce of gold costs about what an ounce of gold costs.

Who knows what me might have been able to get with a first round draft choice in this upcoming draft, using it as currency in a trade.

That is my point, and to be fair, the point of Schopp and the Bulldog.

I honestly believe a lot here simply don't understand that.

Edited by Stopthepain

Not sure of your point, but over a relative short period of time, an ounce of gold costs about what an ounce of gold costs.

Who knows what me might have been able to get with a first round draft choice in this upcoming draft, using it as currency in a trade.

That is my point, and to be fair, the point of Schopp and the Bulldog.

I honestly believe a lot here simply don't understand that.

Using your analogy, would you rather spend $50/oz of gold or spend $1,500/oz of gold?

I'm sure the have somewhat of an idea on the next few years drafts.

Yes, but actually selecting a player in a draft with a draft pick is only one type of "purchase" that can be made with a draft pick.

This is the point.

When you send off a first round draft pick in a deal, you send off all possible expenditures made with that pick, only one of which is actually selecting a kid in the draft.

I hope people see this.

Using your analogy, would you rather spend $50/oz of gold or spend $1,500/oz of gold?

Not sure of your point. Please explain.

My analogy states that whatever we gave up last year with this year's first round pick is roughly as valuable this year as it was last year.

The price of "gold" has stayed the same. It hasn't dropped from $1,500 to $50, even if some suggest this is a weak draft.

Edited by Stopthepain

Yes, but actually selecting a player in a draft with a draft pick is only one type of "purchase" that can be made with a draft pick.

This is the point.

When you send off a first round draft pick in a deal, you send off all possible expenditures made with that pick, only one of which is actually selecting a kid in the draft.

I hope people see this.

Not sure of your point. Please explain.

My analogy states that whatever we gave up last year with this year's first round pick is roughly as valuable this year as it was last year.

The price of "gold" has stayed the same. It hasn't dropped from $1,500 to $50, even if some suggest this is a weak draft.

You said that an ounce of gold costs what it costs. Yet Nanker is correct, the cost fluctuates. So you get to buy a commodity, which is exactly the same, except one year that exact same commodity will cost you $50 and another year it will cost you $1,500. When would you rather buy that gold?

I agree this is a good year to not have a first round pick and still like the trade up to get Sammy Watkins. I think he's the real deal. But if you assume every thing else remains the same, can you say you would really rather have Sammy Watkins than some of the other alternatives? Odell Beckam or Kelvin Benjamin from last years draft (picked after Buffalo's pick) + Landon Collins (SS), Maxx Williams (TE), Kevin Johnson (CB), TJ Clemons (OT), or Ereck Flowers (OT)? Unless you jump to the assumption that the Bills record would have been worse than 9-7 last year, those are the guys sitting right around that 19th pick that they don't have, and certainly won't be there in the 2nd round. As one of the posters said (and I agree), this was a good calculated risk by the front office last season. There just isn't a boatload of value early in the draft. Buffalo can still land a very good player in round 2 that will fill a need.

we don´t need a 1st this year. if the draft looks like this:

50: R2P18
WR DORIAL GREEN-BECKHAM
OKLAHOMA
81: R3P17
TE CLIVE WALFORD
MIAMI (FL)
147: R5P19
C B.J. FINNEY
KANSAS ST
172: R6P12
OT TYRUS THOMPSON