If there was ever a year not to have a first rounder ...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No need to marginalize what appears to be a correct evaluation by sarcastically referring to it as clairvoyance. The team made a judgement call that 2014 would be a much better year in terms of draft talent and acted upon it.

Believe it or not, it's totally okay to give them credit when they're right about something.

crazy a team would look at a draft and see a record number of underclass declaring (by a full round worth of players) and coupled with a look at seniors and logical declarations could make such a judgement as the following year being thinner than normal.

we don´t need a 1st this year. if the draft looks like this:

50: R2P18
WR DORIAL GREEN-BECKHAM
OKLAHOMA
81: R3P17
TE CLIVE WALFORD
MIAMI (FL)
147: R5P19
C B.J. FINNEY
KANSAS ST
172: R6P12
OT TYRUS THOMPSON
OKLAHOMA
178: R6P18
TE JEFF HEUERMAN
OHIO ST
209: R7P17
OLB DEIONTREZ MOUNT
LOUISVILLE
:D

To call this draft board a pipe dream is an understatement. Every player on here right now is projected to go 20 or more picks BEFORE the Bills pick in that respective round. 50th pick for Green-Beckham? HAH. Projected to be a late first round pick (24th on the board I saw). 178th pick for Heuerman? They wouldn't get him for that, the 172nd or the 147th if he goes where he is supposed to at around 130th. Sure some guys will slide out of where they should, but all of them? It's a joke.

Yes, considering every expert who's opinion is worth a damn said the 2015 draft class was going to be week for over a year. It was reported going into the 14 draft that it was the deepest in years and would make 13 and 15 pale in comparison.

That's why so many on here were thrilled with the trade up to get Watkins without giving up a pick in 14. It was a bold move, and one that looked ahead as much as it looked to the present. Some people will always hate the trade because they hate giving up assets by nature, but anyone who looks at the trade dispassionately can see it was a very calculated risk.

A lot of talent went in 2014, on that it's pretty obvious. Unfortunately draft picks aren't just valuable on draft day. They can be used to acquire experienced talent such as a QB. Look, I don't know if Buffalo was interested in Bradford or a guy like Jimmy Graham, but it didn't help being without a first. Negotiations on players like that usually start there (unless you've got a very good veteran-at least in this off-season) and if you don't have one, there usually is no option to acquire the player.

I'm not convinced, based on his record, that Whaley is doing anything but flailing around in the dark for the light switch. Sure, there are good moves like trading for Hughes. But then there's signing an oft-concussed Kevin Kolb, drafting Manuel, trading for an already back of the rotation RB in Bryce Brown, drafting Kouandjio,et al.

Any GM can make good moves. It's stringing together enough of them and minimizing the misses that makes a great team.

No need to marginalize what appears to be a correct evaluation by sarcastically referring to it as clairvoyance. The team made a judgement call that 2014 would be a much better year in terms of draft talent and acted upon it.

Believe it or not, it's totally okay to give them credit when they're right about something.

The best move this off-season will be made by the owner, who hired Rex Ryan. The ensuing personnel activity is being dictated by his vision for this team and Whaley is playing a supporting role.

It's strange that the Bills have departed from their MO in 2015. Call it TPegs' money, call it whatever, but Whaley's job is on the line in 2015. He doesn't have any excuses after this his 3rd year in the job.

I'm not convinced, based on his record, that Whaley is doing anything but flailing around in the dark for the light switch. Sure, there are good moves like trading for Hughes. But then there's signing an oft-concussed Kevin Kolb, drafting Manuel, trading for an already back of the rotation RB in Bryce Brown, drafting Kouandjio,et al.

Any GM can make good moves. It's stringing together enough of them and minimizing the misses that makes a great team.

The best move this off-season will be made by the owner, who hired Rex Ryan. The ensuing personnel activity is being dictated by his vision for this team and Whaley is playing a supporting role.

It's strange that the Bills have departed from their MO in 2015. Call it TPegs' money, call it whatever, but Whaley's job is on the line in 2015. He doesn't have any excuses after this his 3rd year in the job.

I'd like to know the basis for you making these statements as if they are fact. Whaley was the one who convinced Pegs to interview Rex in the first place.

I'd like to know the basis for you making these statements as if they are fact. Whaley was the one who convinced Pegs to interview Rex in the first place.

Go back to late December. I believe, based on what I've read, that the Pegula's anticipated having Polian in the building and no HC search when the season ended. It didn't happen, that way leaving only Whaley to assist from a personnel perspective as GM in lining up HC interviews. Polian backed out, leaving new owners with no one to advise them on football issues.

Whaley did his role then getting HC candidates in front of new owners and then participated in the interviews. The owners made the call and changed the reporting structure to make the GM report to them but now, only the HC reports to ownership. JMO.

A lot of talent went in 2014, on that it's pretty obvious. Unfortunately draft picks aren't just valuable on draft day. They can be used to acquire experienced talent such as a QB. Look, I don't know if Buffalo was interested in Bradford or a guy like Jimmy Graham, but it didn't help being without a first. Negotiations on players like that usually start there (unless you've got a very good veteran-at least in this off-season) and if you don't have one, there usually is no option to acquire the player.

So we also had Sam Bradford, Nick Foles and Max Unger to go along with those picks to move. Or do you choose to ignore that because.

We dont have a first round pick cause Whaley sucks.

Using your analogy, would you rather spend $50/oz of gold or spend $1,500/oz of gold?

Come on man, you're just arguing for the sake of arguing at this point, largely over nothing.

$50 represents 3.3% of $1,500.

Do you actually believe the Bills' 19th overall pick in this year's first round (now the property of Cleveland) is worth 3.3% of what it was last year, because this year's draft is being regarded, by some, as a weak draft?

Its value dropped roughly 97% in 1 year because it's a "weak draft" ???

Let me make it easy for you: it isn't.

The key here is for some to realize that a draft pick is currency and it represents more than just a body that can be selected.

That changes the analysis. Maybe you don't see that.

Whatever.

I agree this is a good year to not have a first round pick and still like the trade up to get Sammy Watkins. I think he's the real deal. But if you assume every thing else remains the same, can you say you would really rather have Sammy Watkins than some of the other alternatives? Odell Beckam or Kelvin Benjamin from last years draft (picked after Buffalo's pick) + Landon Collins (SS), Maxx Williams (TE), Kevin Johnson (CB), TJ Clemons (OT), or Ereck Flowers (OT)? Unless you jump to the assumption that the Bills record would have been worse than 9-7 last year, those are the guys sitting right around that 19th pick that they don't have, and certainly won't be there in the 2nd round. As one of the posters said (and I agree), this was a good calculated risk by the front office last season. There just isn't a boatload of value early in the draft. Buffalo can still land a very good player in round 2 that will fill a need.

wouldve rather had ODB jr and Maxx Williams this year except if the Bills stayed put last year they were probably going Ebron. In that case i'd rather have Watkins and no 1st this years. As you said this years 1st rounders not that great

Great point.

Last time I checked, we got a great player out of it

CBF

We did not get a great player. we got a player with great potential. We won't know if he's great for 5 to 8 years.

He played scared last year with EJ at QB. He missed a few of games and was nowhere to be seen down the stretch.

He has potential at this point.

wouldve rather had ODB jr and Maxx Williams this year except if the Bills stayed put last year they were probably going Ebron. In that case i'd rather have Watkins and no 1st this years. As you said this years 1st rounders not that great

I agree with you 100% for that reason. I didn't want Ebron at all last year. So flipping that around, had we not traded for Watkins, we would be looking at Ebron last year and then the 3rd or 4th WR on the board this year with that first pick. You've convinced me even more that it was the right call.

We did not get a great player. we got a player with great potential. We won't know if he's great for 5 to 8 years.

He played scared last year with EJ at QB. He missed a few of games and was nowhere to be seen down the stretch.

I would hate to live in your world. You must be a joy at parties.

Can you find a post where you said pre-draft that you were all about ODB. If you cant GTFO with your hindsight BS.

..would really rather have Sammy Watkins than some of the other alternatives? ...Ereck Flowers (OT)?

We have already been down this path...

Erik Mathews Flowers

"was selected in the first round of the 2000 NFL Draft by the Buffalo Bills. he earned the starting job in 2001, but was benched after 5 games, and was released during training camp the next year"...

Played scared?

The guy practically played more than half the season with bruised/cracked ribs!

How is that playing scared?

CBF