[closed]Bills interested in TE Charles Clay--update: F5 and stuff

YoloinOhio

Precisely.

I'm sure they have a plan for OL just not sure what it is. There is zero chance that Rex and Roman and Whaley are not discussing OL every day, even with all these skill players.

I don't think he left yet.

Yes, I edited that before I even read this....

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i said it in one of the threads on the topic, but if we lose out to miami on a deal thats not favorable to them -- that leaves them a team that has Mike Wallace, Tannehill, Suh and Clay as its STAR talent taking up HUGE portions of the cap (suh 20m, tannehill will be 20m, wallace little more than 10m, clay little less than 10m -- obviously year to year fluctuates and those were rounded real loosely for bar napkin math -- but that is 60m a year and none of it particularly scares me)

According to spotrac your kind of way off for 2015. I add up 29.3 million for those 4 players. Now they have some other huge chunks taking up cap room like Ellerbe, Albert, Grimmes, and Wake this year.

According to spotrac your kind of way off for 2015. I add up 29.3 million for those 4 players. Now they have some other huge chunks taking up cap room like Ellerbe, Albert, Grimmes, and Wake this year.

Fortunately for us and unfortunately for them they have to allot huge chunks next year to Suh, pouncey and Tannehill. So if they restructure to get money this year it kills them worse next year.

Fortunately for us and unfortunately for them they have to allot huge chunks next year to Suh, pouncey and Tannehill. So if they restructure to get money this year it kills them worse next year.

Suh's contract is tailor made for a restructure next year - they convert most of salary into a bonus and tack on another year to the deal. Will give them another $14 mil of cap room.

I don't believe he would leave Buffalo without knowing what Cleveland is looking to offer him and I'm guessing it's higher than what Buffalo offered. Maybe it's a ploy by his agent to drive up the price, who knows? I'd say on the surface, it doesn't look good.

I definitely agree. If he leaves Buffalo, he's gone. You don't go on a visit without having an idea of the offer.

Yeah and that's the ebb and flow of NFL contracts. Bottom line is the high paid talent has to play like it or the team moves on. I understand not without penalty but they're contracts probably aren't a lot different than any other teams in terms of being able to sign Clay and it substantially hurting their team long term.

Suh's contract is tailor made for a restructure next year - they convert most of salary into a bonus and tack on another year to the deal. Will give them another $14 mil of cap room.

That would appear troublesome to them. He already costs 5m per year in cap w/o salary. That would be another 5. His salary after next year would be 25-30 in cap the next few years. Unless they only want him for three years and pay him 25 a year that wI'll kill their team.

$9 Mil for a TE... Only if he's better than GRONK!!!

He's worth that IMO. His versatility will give defensive coordinators fits. That will help in the running and passing game. That is his biggest attribute. It isn't just how many plays he will make but how the defenses will have to adjust to account for someone so versatile. That's why he is in such high demand. These match up nightmare type of guys are hard to scheme for.

He's worth that IMO. His versatility will give defensive coordinators fits. That will help in the running and passing game. That is his biggest attribute. It isn't just how many plays he will make but how the defenses will have to adjust to account for someone so versatile. That's why he is in such high demand. These match up nightmare type of guys are hard to scheme for.

there isn't anyone better than Gronk. That doesn't mean you don't try to improve the TE position.

I agree Chandler is no a premier TE. but he's helped the Bill win games and to be left with the 3 still on the roster who are not very impressive.

Clay's versatility ... can he break tackles like Gronk?

if the answer is yes, then pay him.

I agree with what someone said about getting this Clay thing done, then knowing where you are for signing Harvin, and hopefully Evans becomes available.... That would be an awesome offseason IMO...

The problem is, you don't know if it's a done deal for a week (until Dolphins react), right? That holding pattern allows a lot of other players you might like to sign elsewhere.

Problem with front-loading the contract that much is do you trust the guy won't hold-out or be unhappy when he's only making $2-3m next year?

I was thinking about that. I wonder if there is a clause that you can write into the contract to protect against that? Sort of a good faith clause? I am not a CBA expert but of someone on here is it would be interesting.