[closed]Bills interested in TE Charles Clay--update: F5 and stuff

YoloinOhio

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how we can structure this so that it cannot be matched. Does anyone have any ideas?

I think a few years ago Minnesota or Seattle did an offer to a wide receiver and in the offer was something like if you play more than two games in this state in a year you get and additional crazy amount of money. I think it was Nate Burleson.

Whole contract must be matched, that's why the NFL abolished "poison pill" language

Yep. we got 'shafted' out of Will Wolford years ago due to this type of action. Wasn't illegal at the time....but made it impossible for us due to escalator clauses based on teammates salaries. Colts had 'nobody' and we had our dynasty Bills getting paid big time.

Whole contract must be matched, that's why the NFL abolished "poison pill" language

That all started when the Colts signed Wilford and made it impossible for Bills to match with some language about always being one of top paid players on offense or something like that

Charles Clay reminds me of the TE Andre Smith that played in Chicago & Dallas. Smith was a little bigger and a power house blocker that didn't get much opportunity to showcase his receiving skills much. They look & play alike.

Edited by BuffaloFan68

Charles Clay reminds me of the TE Andre Smith that played in Chicago & Dallas. Smith was a little bigger and a power house blocker that didn't get much opportunity to showcase his receiving skills much. They look & play alike.

I think that is the opposite of Clay...he's more of a receiver than blocker...

I think that is the opposite of Clay...he's more of a receiver than blocker...

yep - Miami converted him from fullback.. a 255 receiver who can bang would be a nice tool in Roman toolbox

edit - but that whole transition thing concerns me

Edited by BackInDaDay

I'm curious about this as well. Given the varying state income tax laws it does seem as though certain franchises gain a distinct (and unfair) advantage in recruitment.

Why should they? Nothing in the recruitment brochure is really equal. There's weather, cost of living, schools, sponsorship possibilities, etc. The last thing the NFL should do is try and get deeper into a rulebook. They mostly succeed in spite of themselves already.

Why should they? Nothing in the recruitment brochure is really equal. There's weather, cost of living, schools, sponsorship possibilities, etc. The last thing the NFL should do is try and get deeper into a rulebook. They mostly succeed in spite of themselves already.

It is not as much as advantage as some people make it out to be. The game checks are from where the game is played so not every game has state income taxes. Secondly, state income taxes are itemized deductions, so they save money on the fed taxes.