Fred Jackson is the Derek Jeter of the Bills

Bocephuz

No. My comment on Jeter was not meant to compare him to Fred. Jeter had a storied career, miles beyond what Jackson's done. But if you look at Jeter's numbers and compare them to other HOF players, he wasn't that amazing. A lot of the Jeter love comes from being a Yankee. He was great, but being a Yankee elevates him to god-like status.

He played 19 full seasons with a lifetime average of .310 on the sports world's biggest stage. More than 3K hits. Significant contributor to multiple World Series championship teams. Never had a cross word with the media. Never in trouble with the law. In the Internet/social media era, to do that for 20 years can not be an easy feat.

He could have been on the Twins and had the same God-like status, in my opinion.

EDIT: (and I am a Mets fan)

Edited by Gugny

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Compare the teams Jeter played on to the teams Jackson played on.

And Jeter might indeed make the HOF, but if you look at his numbers they are nothing that special. Part of his skill was playing in New York as a Yankee.

Sorry, Promo, but this last comment is one of the least informed comments I've read on this board in some time. Quick question: do you know what Jeter's postseason stats are? Check them out if you are unaware.

And he is without question the greatest hitting shortstop of all time. It's not even remotely close.

Edited by dave mcbride

There is a rarefied group of athletes who reach a special status with a team and community by displaying their work ethic, by being an example for others by the way they carry themselves on and off the field, and by the sacrifices they have made on the field. These special few typically earn the right to go out on their own terms... ie.. they may play a few years past their prime but everyone involved knows letting them play out the string and letting them retire with their long time team is the right thing to do.

Fred Jackson has earned that right.. he is the Derek Jeter of the Bills. Freddy has given up his body time and time again, has fought for extra yards time and time again, has been an emotional leader time and time again, has consistently carried himself properly on and off the field .. and he has been a constant fixture contributing his time to causes in the local community.

Good on the Bills for recognizing this. Think of Ray Lewis is his last year with the Ravens... he was clearly a shell of himself on the field.. however.. his leadership and passion was a key part of the Ravens winning the Super Bowl in 2012. Freddy has a chance to do the same thing with the Bills this year.

LMAO... hes a player who is getting old. Their is no such thing as loyalty in professional sports unless you want to stay in the toilet.

love Fred but its time to move on

And Jeter might indeed make the HOF, but if you look at his numbers they are nothing that special. Part of his skill was playing in New York as a Yankee.

He might?? This is a silly post all on its own.

I didn't say he was the Derek Jeter of the NFL.. just the Derek Jeter of the Bills. It's all relative.. Relative to anyone else who has played for the Bills in the last 20 years Freddy is arguably the most talented and most beloved Buffalo Bill for on and off the field reasons.

Won't we be saying the same thing about Kyle Williams in a couple of years? Of course we will...

Sorry, Promo, but this last comment is one of the least informed comments I've read on this board in some time. Quick question: do you know what Jeter's postseason stats are? Check them out if you are unaware.

And he is without question the greatest hitting shortstop of all time. It's not even remotely close.

And second only to Honus Wagner (who played in the late 1800s - early 1900s) in Wins Above Replacement among all shortstops who ever played professional baseball...

Edited by billsfan1959

Fred had 1,062 yds rushing in 2009. Along with just over 1,000 yds returning kicks making him the first to achieve that dubious double milestone.

thats a tough one to point at because no starting back returns kicks. how many kick returners get 250 carries? i would venture several backs if limited to 250 carries could reach 1000 kr yards.

He played 19 full seasons with a lifetime average of .310 on the sports world's biggest stage. More than 3K hits. Significant contributor to multiple World Series championship teams. Never had a cross word with the media. Never in trouble with the law. In the Internet/social media era, to do that for 20 years can not be an easy feat.

He could have been on the Twins and had the same God-like status, in my opinion.

EDIT: (and I am a Mets fan)

agreed. having the largest fan base around helped him some along the way, but with that career hed be a first ballot HOF and immensely respected no matter where he played.

LMAO... hes a player who is getting old. Their is no such thing as loyalty in professional sports unless you want to stay in the toilet.

love Fred but its time to move on

Well.. hopefully this will nullify the worry for a while

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/12454611/new-york-jets-agree-re-sign-rb-bilal-powell

Edited by Bocephuz

That is a good point... in that light maybe Jeter wasn't the best comparison. I'm not advocating that we hand Freddy the starting job because of seniority. Perhaps Ray Lewis would have been a better comparison.

Fair enough. Just pointing out that even keeping a HOF too long can be detrimental. However, that isn't guaranteed or anything

My god, don't you guys get sick of doing this stupid "in" thing. It's not clever, it's not funny, it offers exactly zero to the board, and it is the most annoying thing going around here. Please, for the love of god, just stop this crap already. The same few users doing it over and over and over. It was funny for a week or two, but now it's just stupid and unoriginal. Let the mods do their jobs and lock threads they deem repetitive.

It is the worst. As dopey as it is to do it in a second Josh McCown thread (the OP doesn't realize a nearly identical thread already exists), it annoys me even more in a thread that doesn't warrant it like this one. OK so you're not interested in a Fred Jackson-Derek Jeter comparison. Neither am I. Then read something else or go to a different website. I should just let it go but it almost fascinates me how much it annoys me that people who write "IN" think they're cool, clever, getting one over on someone, etc. It bothers me to an unreasonable extent.

Jeter was one of the very worst starting players in MLB last season.

Seriously?

First, playing in NY is a double-edged sword and if you don't produce you can get excoriated. Not only did Jeter produce, he excelled, especially in the post-season, where legends are forged.

Second, to point to Jeter's last season as a reason to question his ability is intellectually dishonest. Jeter could have gone hitless and recorded an error in every game last season and it wouldn't have done anything to tarnish his accomplishments.

Like I said, post-season is where legends are forged. I rest my case for Jeter on that alone. The record books tell the story.

GO BILLS!!!